forum

CtB Modding Manual - "How to mod CtB"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Qiyana

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

This might be on the tutorials you mention, but it may be worth giving a quick mention to new combos, making sure they fit, that they're consistent, used often enough, etc.

Nice guide, though.

Edit: just read through again, and yeah you mention them, but I'd still prefer a mention at least on trying to make sure they are used consistently.
Did he say that using a computah or phoney??
Absolute Zero
Whew, you covered a lot! Nice job!

1. CtB mapping uses only the x-axis. The placement of objects varies only with the x-position assigned to it. Two objects with the same x-position will appear at the same place during play regardless of their y-positions. The y-axis is used only to space objects out in the editor space, making it easier to interpret. Placing all objects at the same y-position causes many objects to overlap, which can be very confusing to read when modding!

Remember to note that sliders are affected by the angle in which the ends are placed from their head.

If necessary, slow the beatmap down to inspect things more closely.
Exactly how do you slow the beatmap down? You might want to explain that.

Odd spacing - Ensure that the spacing between objects complements the intensity of the sound(s), and look out for any borderline dashes or hyperdashes that require near-perfect timing to catch.
More spacing = more intensity. Please explain that?

Suitability - Do the hitsounds used match the song? It makes little sense to use drum hitsounds when choosing to map a piano or vocal rhythm, for example.
Please define "suitable" more. I'm a little confused by the drum vs. vocal example.

Will look at it again more later, check for updates.

Note: I'd like to add that people really shouldn't be posting off-topic memes here because we should promote this guide. I want this thread to be about improving something that will promote the modding community. Please post stuff that actually is positive words, encouragement, or constructive feedback. Thanks.
-Sh1n1-
Snap and Replace have different meaning in my opinion, so would be better if you move "Replace <x>" to typical suggestions on Patterns and Flow, also add a little description of Structure on Patterns and Flow too, for example: Sliders follow better a voice echo/strong sounds, etc.

very nice guide, thanks for your hard work JBH.
Topic Starter
JBHyperion

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

This might be on the tutorials you mention, but it may be worth giving a quick mention to new combos, making sure they fit, that they're consistent, used often enough, etc.

Edit: just read through again, and yeah you mention them, but I'd still prefer a mention at least on trying to make sure they are used consistently.
Expanded on NC consistency a little by advising use of downbeats as an initial guide.

Absolute Zero wrote:

1. CtB mapping uses only the x-axis. The placement of objects varies only with the x-position assigned to it. Two objects with the same x-position will appear at the same place during play regardless of their y-positions. The y-axis is used only to space objects out in the editor space, making it easier to interpret. Placing all objects at the same y-position causes many objects to overlap, which can be very confusing to read when modding!

Remember to note that sliders are affected by the angle in which the ends are placed from their head.
Gave a slider angling / rotation example to accompany the explanation.

If necessary, slow the beatmap down to inspect things more closely.
Exactly how do you slow the beatmap down? You might want to explain that.
This is assumed knowledge from the recommended tutorials I listed, but I did give a bit more contest as to where this can be found just in case people don't want to look through lots of video to find that.

Odd spacing - Ensure that the spacing between objects complements the intensity of the sound(s), and look out for any borderline dashes or hyperdashes that require near-perfect timing to catch.
More spacing = more intensity. Please explain that?
This is explained under the Rhythm - Wrong Emphasis section, but I mentioned it again here and linked back to that point under the Patterns and Flow entry.

Suitability - Do the hitsounds used match the song? It makes little sense to use drum hitsounds when choosing to map a piano or vocal rhythm, for example.
Please define "suitable" more. I'm a little confused by the drum vs. vocal example.
Tried to give a bit more context here that hitsounding should compliment the sounds in the song.

-Sh1n1- wrote:

Snap and Replace have different meaning in my opinion, so would be better if you move "Replace <x>" to typical suggestions on Patterns and Flow, also add a little description of Structure on Patterns and Flow too, for example: Sliders follow better a voice echo/strong sounds, etc.
Great point, separated these two and added in a (very) brief description of what to use certain sounds for - though I decided to keep both under Rhythm for now as I feel choosing the right objects to fit the song is more of a rhythm-related objective.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Sc4v4ng3r
Nice tutorial :o

Just a small suggestion, but under the 'general' section, on this point :

JBHyperion wrote:

3. Metadata
  1. Are the Artist, Title and Source correct and consistent across all difficulties? Check reliable sources such as the official artist’s page or scans of the CD/DVD cover.
There should be some things mentioned about tags, if they actually relate to the song, song's artist and the source, if they are consistent throughout the whole mapset, and whether or not the same tag(s) has been repeated in the tags field. Some users new to modding might not know about this(trust me, I didn't know how tags worked until someone came and explained to me) - and they may overlook this. Your second point which relates to the tags don't really include these points, so it could be cool if they were added.
wonjae
Niceme.me
ursa
I think adding some extra tips like : "use picture to make sure the mapper more understand about your modding" and "asking the mapper about what he need to improve is maps" his good idea too.
Topic Starter
JBHyperion

[Sc4v4ng3r] wrote:

There should be some things mentioned about tags, if they actually relate to the song, song's artist and the source, if they are consistent throughout the whole mapset, and whether or not the same tag(s) has been repeated in the tags field. Some users new to modding might not know about this(trust me, I didn't know how tags worked until someone came and explained to me) - and they may overlook this. Your second point which relates to the tags don't really include these points, so it could be cool if they were added.
Good idea, added an extra point about tags including the things you mentioned.

ursa wrote:

I think adding some extra tips like : "use picture to make sure the mapper more understand about your modding" and "asking the mapper about what he need to improve is maps" is good idea too.
Use a picture is already included in How to Make a Suggestion: "If you can’t find the proper words to explain the issue, try linking a picture as an example."
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the wording, but "asking the mapper about what he need to improve is maps" - isn't this the whole point of modding (and hence included throughout this guide)? |:
ursa

JBHyperion wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the wording, but "asking the mapper about what he need to improve is maps" - isn't this the whole point of modding (and hence included throughout this guide)? |:
Pardon me for my grammar x-x. also i didn't notice about the suggestion section

also, what i mean could be like this :
[list]
[*]"try to communicate between the mapper/modder/players Ingame about the modding " - ex : IRC mod, testplaying. since most of experienced mapper/modder would do this for improving their maps & i think it'll be good guide to new mappers too.
Sc4v4ng3r

JBHyperion wrote:

ursa wrote:

I think adding some extra tips like : "use picture to make sure the mapper more understand about your modding" and "asking the mapper about what he need to improve is maps" is good idea too.
Use a picture is already included in How to Make a Suggestion: "If you can’t find the proper words to explain the issue, try linking a picture as an example."
Well you could mention about 'emphasizing your point further with pictures', instead of just 'pictures if you can't explain it well'. Not saying that the current point shouldn't be removed, but adding that in would be great as both the mapper and the modder can understand/explain better.

ursa wrote:

JBHyperion wrote:

1. "try to communicate between the mapper/modder/players Ingame about the modding " - ex : IRC mod, testplaying. since most of experienced mapper/modder would do this for improving their maps & i think it'll be good guide to new mappers too.
I think IRC modding(as well as testplays) would be a complete different 'way' of modding - the modding explained in here is forum modding. So therefore I think IRC modding should be included as well under the 'how to start modding' section. Something like this could be written down in that section :

'Also note that you can make your suggestions through chatting with the mapper/guest mapper; the method would be the same, by copying(Ctrl + C) then pasting(Ctrl + V) into the chat, then following up with your description of your suggestions.'
idk what did I wrote it sounds awkward lol
Volta
nice guide! i'm ready to dig ctb deeper
Topic Starter
JBHyperion

[Sc4v4ng3r] wrote:

Well you could mention about 'emphasizing your point further with pictures', instead of just 'pictures if you can't explain it well'. Not saying that the current point shouldn't be removed, but adding that in would be great as both the mapper and the modder can understand/explain better.
Fair enough, expanded this wording a little so it's more clear pictures can be used as an accompaniment to a suggestion, rather than solely on their own when you can't find the words.

[Sc4v4ng3r] wrote:

ursa wrote:

1. "try to communicate between the mapper/modder/players Ingame about the modding " - ex : IRC mod, testplaying. since most of experienced mapper/modder would do this for improving their maps & i think it'll be good guide to new mappers too.
I think IRC modding(as well as testplays) would be a complete different 'way' of modding - the modding explained in here is forum modding. So therefore I think IRC modding should be included as well under the 'how to start modding' section. Something like this could be written down in that section :

'Also note that you can make your suggestions through chatting with the mapper/guest mapper; the method would be the same, by copying(Ctrl + C) then pasting(Ctrl + V) into the chat, then following up with your description of your suggestions.'
idk what did I wrote it sounds awkward lol
I understand that IRC modding and testplay suggestions are both good ways to get quick and/or direct feedback, but since this guide is aimed at new modders, I'd prefer to focus only on forum modding as I feel it's the most formal and "complete" method. I want to avoid bombarding people with many different methods, especially since a quick testplay with IRC suggestions rarely goes into the kind of detail that a forum mod does. Once people are able to consider all the aspects that make up a mod post, then they should be able to easily translate those into other formats.

Also IRC modding is being phased out in moddingv2 afaik :/
StickyPicky
Job well done :)
Winnie
Good shit now I will be on my way to glory. But first I have to get better at CtB to understand the mechanics around the mapping and to really mod, otherwise I won't play the higher diffs and give me view on it kek
Cowboy
A translate for spanish could be great! I'll working, perhaps in the future and do it, of course provided i have the consent of JBH.
Topic Starter
JBHyperion

Jusenkyo wrote:

A translate for spanish could be great! I'll working, perhaps in the future and do it, of course provided i have the consent of JBH.
Considering I haven't got any more feedback in a while, I guess people are happy with this as a "finished" version. If you would like to translate it into other languages, that would be awesome, so by all means go right ahead!
Kimitakari

JBHyperion wrote:

Jusenkyo wrote:

Considering I haven't got any more feedback in a while, I guess people are happy with this as a "finished" version. If you would like to translate it into other languages, that would be awesome, so by all means go right ahead!
Its allowed in some posts. I may ask Bakari for help but idk if it will work
Jesper
Nice guide
+1
Kimitakari
Help, I still suck at modding :(
ZiRoX
Holy I posted it by mistake kek
Topic Starter
JBHyperion
I've added a section on "Organising Your Modding Activity" which gives ideas on how to track your mods, format your posts and even create a modding queue of your very own - as always, feedback is appreciated so I can make further improvements!

Credit for 99% of this work goes to ZiRoX with only minor suggestions and formatting from my side. Glad we didn't hit the character limit heh (:
Moofu
Thanks.