forum

osu! doesn't always recognize folders dragged into Songs [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
show more
TheVileOne
I can't test on test build. p/2452988#p2452988
peppy
The test build problems should be fixed with the update I just pushed.
TheVileOne
Edit: Only Ranked maps seem to not reappear when dragging the folder back in. Unsure if you need to play the maps to get them to work. I tested with an unranked map and it detected it, but i tried with a ranked map and it disappeared. I'm not sure if you need a specific submitted score for it to work or not. All the maps I've tested that have worked, I've ranked on at least one of the difficulties. It might be a factor.

Specifically I tried this map. but I've already tested with other ranked maps.
peppy
I tested with a ranked map, fwiw. And looking at the code I can't see any reason it would differ between ranked/unranked.
TheVileOne
Not sure. All i'm doing is finding a beatmap, locating the folder in Songs. I select the beatmap above the song so that it lets me drag the folder out. Once the folder out, I reselect the beatmap in the list. right-click, delete all maps. Then I drag the folder back in and it seems that it works for some maps but not others. Maybe it detects the first map, but doesn't work for maps after that?

I can do some more testing. If it doesn't work for you using the method above, i'm not sure what could be triggering it for me that isn't happening for you. That is exactly how I am triggering it. The detect new mapset message doesn't appear when the folder is dragged in, because for some reason the game still thinks it's part of the list already. But its not in the list because its been removed via deleting it.

Edit: I think i'm going to do the testing tomorrow.
peppy
I wasn't doing the move-out-of-folder-manually step before deleting.

This is really weird behaviour in the first place. Why would you do this?
TheVileOne
I discovered this while testing an issue with oszs have really long file names not exporting. I would drag the folder out to prevent duplicate folder issues while testing. The problem is that dragging the folder back in didn't redetect the map. Normally this isn't a big deal, but if you read the OP it seems there are some people who reinstall the game drag all their song folders back in from a separate area and the game doesn't detect them. This is a serious problem, because the only solution is to redownload the maps or I think making a change within the folder of each song will trigger it.
MillhioreF
Moving to low priority due to inactivity as well as really obscure replication steps.
Ohrami
bitch i have 1 beatmap cuz of this and u say it's low priority

fuker
peppy
This is not a bug. You are doing something very wrong. fuker.
Tall Man_old
my first time posting

this issue sounds very serious
TheVileOne
This problem has very obscure replication steps. You wont need to worry about it happening under normal circumstances.
SinKamelot
I have a problem too. I accidentally deleted one song [Shiver- Gazette], but when I redownload and click the song and it disappears, it doesn't appear in the game.
(All my songs disappear after i click them and they get into the game but this song won't come back)
Please help, thanks! :o :o :D :)
Trosk-

SinKamelot wrote:

I have a problem too. I accidentally deleted one song [Shiver- Gazette], but when I redownload and click the song and it disappears, it doesn't appear in the game.
(All my songs disappear after i click them and they get into the game but this song won't come back)
Please help, thanks! :o :o :D :)
Please do not bump this threads. Make a new thread if you have a problem. Also, explain it a bit better, please.
appledoor
try pressing F5 when in the map select screen.
Underforest

Trosk- wrote:

Please do not bump this threads.
Bara-

appledoor wrote:

The OP even talked about how refreshing didn't work...
And please refer to Underforest's post
skynight314
Try cutting the Song folder anywhere else except the osu folder then run osu
it will make the osu realize that there are no beatmaps available
Then paste the Song Folder back to the osu folder
Maymay9o9o
now i just wanna add that i found it picks up all your maps if you revert it to fallback mode in the repair osu! launcher & then just update it again, it reads all your maps and recognises them after updating instead of having to mess with the files themselves. like its reading the old files as the old launcher, but the newer ones cant bc of the new format? either way, just keep them in the songs folder & try that, it worked for me. :D
SkyCraftZheng
Well today I reinstalled osu cause of a fading problem, I replaced the songs folder's content with the backup, and refreshed ingame and it seemed to recognise.
I dunno if ya all got it fixed already but I thought I whould post this. And I know I'm very late to this party.
the81224
I found out how to make it work.

What I did after copying the songs folder is:
1: I enabled hidden files (look it up).
2: Open the new "Data" folder (in AppData>Local>osu!) and copy "bt" and "r" folders from the original PC to the computer you want the new songs on.
3: Also copy all the non-folder files in the main Local>osu! directory EXCEPT for the osu! application file.

This worked for me when I was transferring all my songs from one PC to another, but you may have to be more picky if you only want to add a few songs to your selection.

Hope this helps!
JB-xaz
what the fridge did I type, this is embarrassing
Death

JB-xaz wrote:

I tried to makes the Folders back to osk. files when I dragged them in and started osu, the beatmap was in the Skin folder even though I put it in Songs. Now I know I should of done... I had the same issue like LolitaDaisu.
I don't think this is the same issue. Beatmaps are osz and skins are osk, if you zipped up a beatmap folder and then named it osk then the game will think it is a skin, even though originally it was a beatmap. I would expect an error when trying to import in that case, but maybe not.
CRlMM
I know this is old, but you can litterally just delete every file but the songs, the skins, scores, and the osu file, and then it will update and recognize all the old stuff you imported, was getting rather annoyed and figured this out, osu will just replace all the files, Idk if its presence, the bat file, collection, logs or the notepad, or the user file, one of those lil basterds blocks osu from just accepting new songs like a good little beatmap game tho so delete all those bastards you dont care about and gl, it worked for me.

if you ever have difficulty with importing songs and reach this part in the thread feel free to dm me on discord im Crimm#2323

To specify the issue I figured out how to resolve this way is importing songs from another pc, and I solved it by deleting everything in the folder other then the osu launcher, and the songs and letting osu fix itself after I relaunched it, im assuming the same would work for skins that fail to import ext tho, but I didnt care enough to copy the one skin i had over
arj4949

appledoor wrote:

I know it's 5 years later but oh my christ you have saved so much of my time thank you!!