forum

osu! Malaysia Tournament 2017 [Complete]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Flashback9
Imo, the players I'm looking forward to are King Hong, ffstar and Ex6TenZ
King Hong is a very strong HD player. His accuracy is an absolute monster(same goes to spritzer). Previously, he played very well with the Malaysian Team at the Gotta Aim Fast Tournament this year as he carried the team by nearly beating Yaong Loli's(Flaven) team on a match which nearly gave the Malaysian Team a point. But anyway, he is the player I'm looking forward to.
It's no surprising that ffstar is one of the best malaysian players out there. The first time I knew about ffstar, I was surprised when I discovered that he only plays with a mouse. Yes..a mouse, I'm like how did he play so well in past tournaments with a mouse only? What a amazing player he is. But anyway, now making his 3rd appearance on the OMT scene, he is undoubtly the strongest and experienced player in the field, played on one of the best matches and made very solid performance in the past of OMT history. Imo, one of his best matches is gonna be in the Semi-Finals of the 2014/2015 OMT where he faced NazzzF who is now known as Ex6TenZ. ffstar nearly won the tiebreaker but it wasn't enough to beat NazzzF as he managed to find a way to beat ffstar. The match was a thriller and the closest. Even though ffstar lost, but the match is still considered to be one of his best as he showcased his true skillset at that time. As of now, I'm still confident that ffstar will perform better but whether he wins or not he is still one of the best players in Malaysia.
Ex6TenZ was known for his versatility as he excelled on HD, HR, Double Time and Nomod skill. Even though I don't have much information about him but he is still one of the most important players for Malaysia. He is a former 2015 OWC participant and he helped the Malaysian Team to proceed to the Round of 16 for the first time. Not forget to mention that he was placed second in the 2014/2015 OMT(that's where I mentioned about the semi-finals part where ffstar and NazzzF made one of the best matches in OMT history). Ex6TenZ will surely be the player to look after for as he might perform well in the OMT this year.
Topic Starter
ClawViper
All players who have registered for the OMT, please check your osu! inboxes from time to time to ensure that you do not miss out anything. I will send ALL updates there.
Jeffrey
By the way, if anyone has any opinions on the mappools, feel free to post them here. We really appreciate having feedback as it would help us gauge what should or should not be picked for the following rounds so everyone can enjoy the tournament fully.
NazzzF
Map pool feedback time! I might be bias here so, I'm not really speaking for all the players here.

No mod overall seems forced. Koi Yomi Zakura is not a good tour map, 2mins with diff spike (the streams). Gimme is a pretty good way to introduce spaced stream with only OD7 and 163BPM. Dance Number and Shadows feels same-ish, now I don't really want to suggest map as I'm a player but one of the spot could've been spend on something like Rubik's Cube for e.g. Mind Mapping was aight, my least favorite map in no mod but it's valid.

Not much to say about DT other than they are all lengthy maps. Moving on to Hard Rock, that Kneesocks is a bit much. Difficult to acc and the stream after spinner is hard to catch. Good mix on hidden although Hyadain is also a bit much. I mean this is just autistic. 200BPM AR9, even with no mod it's hard as hell especially at this stage. Once again imma hit it with 'not a good tour map' although not every map should be a tour map, it can be a fun/troll-ish map but I wouldn't consider Hyadain to be fun.

Moonbound is ResidentSleeper AF. Would love to see something like anhedonia make a comeback but I understand such map are a hard find. Crimson Belvedere is a close one, low star rating but then again, Tiebreaker is a freemod, the only freemod in fact. :roll:
[ -Scarlet- ]

Ex6TenZ wrote:

Map pool feedback time! I might be bias here so, I'm not really speaking for all the players here.

No mod overall seems forced. Koi Yomi Zakura is not a good tour map, 2mins with diff spike (the streams). Gimme is a pretty good way to introduce spaced stream with only OD7 and 163BPM. Dance Number and Shadows feels same-ish, now I don't really want to suggest map as I'm a player but one of the spot could've been spend on something like Rubik's Cube for e.g. Mind Mapping was aight, my least favorite map in no mod but it's valid.

Not much to say about DT other than they are all lengthy maps. Moving on to Hard Rock, that Kneesocks is a bit much. Difficult to acc and the stream after spinner is hard to catch. Good mix on hidden although Hyadain is also a bit much. I mean this is just autistic. 200BPM AR9, even with no mod it's hard as hell especially at this stage. Once again imma hit it with 'not a good tour map' although not every map should be a tour map, it can be a fun/troll-ish map but I wouldn't consider Hyadain to be fun.

Moonbound is ResidentSleeper AF. Would love to see something like anhedonia make a comeback but I understand such map are a hard find. Crimson Belvedere is a close one, low star rating but then again, Tiebreaker is a freemod, the only freemod in fact. :roll:
Thanks for the feedback Nazzzz

Overall the NoMod seems decent I guess, kinda hard to find simple AR8 maps as lots of other good AR8 maps like Poinsettia, Higan Retour etc has been recycle through various tournaments already. Dance Number and Shadows do have similar feels as they're both low bpms (Or doubled), just wanted to have 1 alternate map and 1 finger control kind of map. Just realize they're no aim-based map in NoMod though, slight mistake here :? . I did consider Rubik's Cube before, but I had my reasons why I didn't include it this time.

Kneesocks is the kind of pick for slight harder difficulty for Hard Rock, I thought it might be okay to include one map in each mod which are little bit more difficult for those players who can dominate/comfortable in respective mods. Not exactly sure about Hyadain because I'm actually okay with the map, catching that autistic part most of the time, but yea I'll take note of that too in future mappools.

TB I think it's alright, although slightly ResidentSleeper as your said because of the repetitive nature of the song, but selected this mostly because of consistency tech-sort of map. Not gonna filter for "Skystar" or "RLC" maps, even though most of them are amazing for TB, but has been reused in lots tournament. Anhedonia has been used way back in OMT2014, also Crimson is a 10mins map, which is way too long (although it is an amazing map).
Topic Starter
ClawViper
Bracket Stage Draws
wuhua (1) vs yumesaki-hikari
Kivold (8) vs Sofiae
ShaneLiang (4) vs Asmoudeusa
TequilaWolf (5) vs Alvin03690
ffstar (2) vs Vio
King Hong (7) vs BlackViper2
Desumond (3) vs Wong9ne
Ex6TenZ (6) vs Rumia-

(Credits to TequilaWolf for the infographic!)
Topic Starter
ClawViper
As a result of TequilaWolf v Alvin03690's match where TequilaWolf experienced a technical issue from the beginning of a map, from now on if a player experiences clear technical problems (e.g. osu! crashes, cannot click) in the first 20 seconds of a map, a rematch will be offered (This uses up their one chance for a rematch). This is still subject to the referee's discretion.

Player can postpone their match if the issue happens again in the same match, although bans and every pick up to the point of the second technical issue cannot be redone.
Flashback9
Hello guys, I volunteered to write my thoughts about the tournament. So here are my thoughts about the Group Stage :3

Group Stage Review

Group A
Winner: Ex6TenZ
Runner-up: Alvin03690

Thoughts: Correctly predicted Ex6TenZ as the winner of the group. Alvin03690 did very well too as he had secured second place in the group, advancing with Ex6TenZ. As for the other players in the group, Mazingerlaaa and L u m i n o u s, also performed well in the matches too. To be honest, I expected L u m i n o u s to advance from the group stage. However, he was unable to do well on his first and second match of the group. But he did show his solid performance against Alvin03690 which gave him his first win in the tournament. Mazingerlaaa also did well but was unable to advance in the end. Overall, the group was pretty interesting and all the players in this group did very well.

Group B
Winner: King Hong
Runner-up: yumesaki-hikari

Thoughts: Correctly predicted King Hong and yumesaki-hikari to advance from the group stage. King Hong did very well in the group but he seemed to struggle with his combo for a little bit during his matches, but his accuracy was pretty insane. For yumesaki-hikari, I expected him to perform well against King Hong on his first match of the group, but it was not his day due to his sickness. But after his recovery, he managed to perform well on his second and third match leading him to 2nd place in the group. I never knew decaykets and Zakuen can do this well in the tournament, but it turns out they did. Zakuen was a really strong player who managed to combo well on all his matches despite his struggles with his accuracy. As for decaykets, he did not seem to do quite well on his first match but on his second and third match, he managed to grab a few points against King Hong and yumesaki-hikari despite his loses to all his matches, but then again he also has a big potential behind him. A very solid performance to all the players in this group.

Group C
Group C
Winner: Desumond
Runner-up: Sofiae

Thoughts: I just want to call this, "The Group Of Walkovers." To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed with the group after Cherrie Pie and zelbog both had walkovers. But at least they took part during some of their matches. Anyways, I have correctly predicted both Desumond and Sofiae wins despite the walkovers in the group. Desumond made all sweep wins against all his opponents while Sofiae gets two wins from walkovers and lost one to Desumond. Cherrie Pie took a win after zelbog's walkover and lost two matches from Desumond and another walkover. As for zelbog, he tried his best against Desumond and I must say, he can actually do it but his absence from the rest of the matches hid his true potential. Nothing special in this group but yet again, a strong performance by Desumond and a lucky card from Sofiae and also good efforts from Cherrie Pie and zelbog.

Group D
Winner: ShaneLiang
Runner-up: Vio

Thoughts: I didn't predict anything here since I don't really know who will take the advantage in the group, but overall the group was quite interesting. ShaneLiang showed his strong performance in the group by winning all his matches while Vio was lucky enough to advance from the group stage after getting 2 wins and one lost. I was quite surprised that Mak Kau Hijau did very well in his matches by pushing ShaneLiang into a TB and getting a win over Gilochan. One of the highlights was his spectacular single taps during his matches and I was really amazed by that. I didn't expect him to do that so well but he really did show that he is one of the fastest players in Malaysia. Sadly he was unable to take part on his final match due to his laptop being absent. Thus, gave Vio the advantage to get another win and advancing from the group stage. Gilochan played well too despite his struggles on the mappool. Strong performance from all the players in the group including ShaneLiang and Mak Kau Hijau who was unable to make it for his last match.

Group E
Winner: Kivold
Runner-up: Rumia-

Thoughts: This was probably the most entertaining group I had ever seen. But it seemed that the surprise came from Kivold who was unseeded in the group as he took the 1st spot in the group after defeating all his opponents in all TieBreakers. Kivold showed his great performance after upsetting the favorite of the group and tournament, Rumia-. Top seeded in the group with ALtist and Yellowraven. Rumia- won against Yellowraven on his first hard fought match and second match against ALtist. Rumia- who is the 2014 OMT champion once again showed his skillset in the group. However, it wasn't enough for Kivold's rampage as Kivold took a win from him, giving Rumia- second place in the group. ALtist also showed good performance in the group by getting a win and 2 loses in the group. Yellowraven did quite good in the group as well, but it wasn't enough to seal him for a point in the group. Very promising and strong performance from Kivold. I hope to see him improving in the future. For Rumia- and the others, they played well in the most exciting way. Great performance from the players in the group.

Group F
Winner: TequilaWolf
Runner-up: Asmodeusa

Thoughts: Correctly predicted that TequilaWolf will advance from the group stage. The group itself was quite interesting. For those who didn't know, Haruko's account was restricted from osu which pulled him out of the tournament. Therefore arronlim13 took over Haruko's place to play in the group. Anyways, TequilaWolf, the defending champion showed his good performance once again after winning all his matches in the group. Asmodeusa did really well and won 2 matches which secured him a second place in the group. Vexine was quite strong with his consistency and he also likes picking Nomod and DT picks to his advantage. He won a match and lost 2 matches against TequilaWolf and Asmodeusa. Despite all loses, arronlim13 surprisingly showed his best efforts as well by pushing the match against Vexine into a TieBreaker, which Vexine's won in the end. As a result, the group ended with TequilaWolf and Asmodeusa advancing from the group stage. As for Vexine and arronlim13, it's a well performance from both of them.

Group G
Winner: ffstar
Runner-up: Wong9ne

Thoughts: Correctly predicted the favorite of the tournament, ffstar to be the winner of the group and surprisingly, I predicted Wong9ne's advance as well. ffstar pulled out with the most FCs of the group stage and dominated all of his matches with all sweep wins showing that he is a strong player to beat. Wong9ne who is new to OMT was the first to make an upset in the tournament after defeating high seeded of the group Seiji Yamamura in a hard-fought match 4-2. Wong9ne displayed his consistency throughout the matches and also played well against ffstar despite ffstar having a sweep win. Seiji Yamamura nearly pulled off a win in his first match but Wong9ne's comeback was just too much for him and he lost to ffstar with 0-4, but Seiji Yamamura managed to win a match against DaNoobSlayaar which placed him third in the group. DaNoobSlayaar was struggling with the mappool in the tournament but he was able to play properly. Once again, ffstar showed just how strong he can be and the fact is that ffstar is just a mouse only player which was really surprising. Wong9ne also showed that he had a lot of potential in him and I believe he can make it further on in the future. Seiji Yamamura and DaNoobSlayaar gave their best too.

Group H
Winner: wuhua
Runner-up: BlackViper2

Thoughts: Correctly predicted wuhua and BlackViper's advance from group stages. wuhua was an absolute monster after getting most of the FCs in the group. wuhua did drop one point against BlackViper2 and madaoka-chan. But wuhua still showed great performance as he got a lot of advantage with the mappool. BlackViper2 was undoubtedly the best in the group as well. With all the mods he was able to play with, he made two sweep wins and one lost to wuhua but he got a point in the match after wuhua failed on the HR pick "Dr. Who." Bck-On also showed his good performance in the tournament as well. He grabbed one win and two loses. madaoka-chan did grab one point from wuhua but wuhua was just too much for her. She uses her advantage by picking nomod picks to play against her opponents. She got all loses but she showed good efforts on trying. A very strong performance from both wuhua and BlackViper2 while Bck-On and madaoka-chan did their best in the group too.

Well that's all the thoughts I can give for now. I'm really hyped for the brackets :D
Iyouka
Good luck to all participants!
Topic Starter
ClawViper
Thanks for the write-up, Flashback9. I enjoyed reading through what you typed :)
Flashback9
Ayyy thanks Claw :3
Flashback9
Hello guys I'm back with the write-up summary again. Sorry for the long delay because there was a time when I accidently forgot to save my write ups and I had to start over again. But now that's finished, here are my thoughts for Ro16 :3

Round Of 16 Review

Kivold(W/O) 0-5 Sofiae
I was hoping for this match to happen but it ended with Kivold dropping out from the tournament due to his busy schedules for his final exam. So we won't be seeing him perform in future rounds (especially loser's brackets). As for Sofiae, he was lucky yet again and this time he had advanced to the Quarter-Finals.

Desumond 5-3 Wong9ne
This was the first interesting match that started off in the Ro16 as Desumond squared off with Wong9ne who made the first upset in the tournament during group stage. It was the match to watch with Wong9ne's consistency had proven to be very strong in the group stages while Desumond was lucky to advance from the "Group of Walkovers." The match started in Wong9ne's favour when he picked Yellow Splash(Nomod Pick) to his advantage to win the first point. Then on Desu's pick, Desumond completely destroyed Wong9ne with an FC on Tokei no Heya to Seishin Sekai which was insane. Wong9ne once again took advantage by picking a DT map which gave him the second point in the match. Desu seemed to struggle with his acc on the DT pick. Desu again took his second point after winning against Wong9ne by picking Wakusei Rabbit against him. Everything looks tied until Wong9ne's next pick which became the highlight of the tournament.

Wong picked a DT map, worldenddominator which later decided the point between both players. Wong9ne started strong with his combo bursting out from the start. Then when the map nearly reached its end, Desumond made a slight comeback on the last 30 seconds. However, the score went to Wong9ne's side and he sealed the 3rd point. It was the closest match ever as the score difference was just 166. Freaking insane I must say. Despite Wong9ne's comeback, Desumond managed to hold himself on his 3rd pick, which gave him his 3rd point bringing the match to a 3-3. This time however, Desumond again showed his consistency on Wong9ne's pick as he got 856 combo on Primary - In the Garden, giving him a big lead in the pick and getting his 4th point. In the end, Desumond finished off the match by getting his 5th point with his pick on DJ-TOTTO feat. spiLa illumina by maintaining his acc and combo on the map. Good game to both players especially Wong9ne who put up a great show on his 3rd pick. What a great comeback m8! As for Desumond, congrats for reaching to the Quarter-Finals of the Upper Bracket. Both players are absolutely insane!

King Hong 5-0 (W/O)BlackViper2
This match was also another one that I was looking forward to too, but unfortunately BlackViper2 wasn't able to show up as he was offline before the scheduled time. It turns out that BlackViper2 was having a dinner with his family. So with that, BlackViper2 was moved to the Lower Brackets while King Hong got the chance to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Upper Brackets.

ffstar 5-0 Vio
ffstar once again showed great performance as he made a sweep win against Vio. Vio did tried his best to get a point from ffstar, but it wasn't enough for ffstar's dominance as ffstar was just too good on any picks that he tried to pull out. ffstar went off with a strong start by FC'ing Basara which was his pick, giving him a solid point. Vio then picked worldenddominator to his advantage and tried to get a point. Even though Vio has the acc advantage, but ffstar's combo turned the match around and ffstar took the 2nd point in the end. After that, ffstar took a HR pick, Hana Ranman ~Flowers~ to take the point advantage. ffstar and Vio both failed the map but ffstar's accuracy gave him the 3rd point.

Then Vio picked Yellow Splash to his advantage and again tried to get a point. Both ffstar and Vio started very strong at the start. As the map started to reach its end, ffstar was still holding his impressive FC run while Vio broke at his 706th combo on the map and started getting misses along the way too. ffstar took a huge lead and secured his 4th point. Finally, ffstar took match point when he picked Rubik's Cube which is an HR pick to finish off his match. ffstar did just that by only having a 1xmiss run on Rubik's Cube and thus, ffstar advanced to the Quarter-Finals of the Upper Bracket. Yet again, another strong performance by ffstar and Vio also showing good efforts as well.

wuhua 5-0 yumesaki-hikari
wuhua's run in the tournament continues as he made a sweep win against yumesaki-hikari. The match started with wuhua's pick and he chose a HD pick, Leia, an ar8 map. wuhua was comfortable at the start while yume was struggling with his combo and acc throughout the map. wuhua won his first pick and secured his first point of the match. Later on, yumesaki-hikari picked illumina as his first pick and tried to get the point advantage. yume went off with a good start on the map when he was holding his accuracy comfortably. wuhua maintained his combo despite yume having the lead with his good accuracy run. Suddenly, yume broke at the 488th combo of the map, giving wuhua the advantage to make a comeback. In the end, the match was pretty close and wuhua took his 2nd point.

wuhua then picked Basara which gave him his 3rd point after making a huge lead but choking at the ending section of the map. yume seemed to have a problem handling with HD picks , but he tried his best to maintain his combo on the map which I'm still quite impressed about it. After that, yumesaki-hikari made his pick and chose Yellow Splash to see whether if he can get a point from the map or not. Both wuhua and yume started off strong in the map. It looks as if yume finally got the chance to get the point from wuhua, but suddenly yume broke at his 616th combo run giving wuhua the chance to take the lead. With that, wuhua took his 4th point and it was match point. In the end, wuhua won the match in style by getting 728 combo lead in a HR pick, Yotsuya-san ni Yoroshiku. yume failed on the map but managed to maintain 403 combo which shows that yume still gave his best efforts in the match despite him losing the match. Congrats yet again to wuhua who will be advancing to the Quarter-Finals and yumesaki-hikari who will be playing in the Loser's Brackets. Luckily, due to Kivold's dropout from the tournament, yume will advance to the next round of the Loser's Bracket.

ShaneLiang 5-0 Asmodeusa
I correctly predicted that ShaneLiang wins but I didn't expect him to get a sweep win against Asmodeusa since Asmodeusa is a very strong player. The match was also very interesting since both of the players showed very good potential during the group stages. Asmodeusa won the roll and was the first to plan the first pick. He picked Yellow Splash as his first pick of the match. As the match progresses, Asmodeusa struggled on the map while ShaneLiang was having a big lead with a FC run. In the end, ShaneLiang took the 1st point by FC'ing the map with an accuracy of 97.39%. It was ShaneLiang's turn to pick and thus, he chose Juubaku as his point advantage. ShaneLiang again made a strong lead while Asmodeusa was also doing well in the map. But it wasn't enough for Asmodeusa to make a comeback as ShaneLiang was already making a huge lead. With that, ShaneLiang took his 2nd point of the match.

It was Asmodeusa's pick and this time he chose an HR pick, Rubik's Cube which was to his point advantage. Both players started off very strongly as the map progresses. However, ShaneLiang was able to turn the tables around and it gave him another point. It was a pretty close match I must say. Asmodeusa could've held his combo and accuracy for a bit longer, but I guess ShaneLiang was the better player there. With ShaneLiang now having a 3-point lead, it was his turn to pick another map. He chose a consistency map, In The Garden. Again, both players seemed to perform the same like the previous pick, Juubaku, as the combo looked familier. ShaneLiang made a big lead and finally getting his 4th point of the match. ShaneLiang then picked a DT pick, Vidro Moyou to seal off his final point. Asmodeusa went pretty well with his combo but ShaneLiang was just too good for Asmodeusa's combo lead and in the end, ShaneLiang took the last point in his pocket to place himself in the Quarter-Finals and Asmodeusa falling into the Loser's Bracket. Yet again, amazing performance by both players.

TequilaWolf 5-2 Alvin03690
Honestly, I expected the OMT defending champion, TequilaWolf to make a sweep win against Alvin03690, but it came to surprise that Alvin03690 actually did very well against the defending champion despite his lost in the match. TequilaWolf made his first move when he quickly dominated Alvin's pick, In The Garden with a 971 combo lead. TequilaWolf and Alvin03690 had good accuracy runs but it was TequilaWolf who took the win. Thus, secured TequilaWolf's first point. However on Alvin's first pick, disaster struck TequilaWolf when he had technical issues with his mouse and was forced to give Alvin03690 his first point. So it was 1-1 and it looked like Alvin03690 has the advantage with his pick. Alvin picked HD pick, Tokei no Heya to Seishin Sekai, a consistency map for his point advantage. But TequilaWolf again strikes back with a near FC run and then took his 2nd point. TequilaWolf wasted no time when he picked an HR map, Hana Ranman ~Flowers~ to seal his 3rd point of the match. It was now 3-1 with TequilaWolf leading, now with Alvin's pick.

Can Alvin secure his 2nd point against TequilaWolf? The answer was yes when Alvin picked Wakusei Rabbit and won the point in an unimaginable style. TequilaWolf got the accuracy advantage but was unable to hold his combo when he broke at the 745th combo, which gave way for Alvin03690 to take the point. However, TequilaWolf had other plans when he picked BASARA and just completely destroyed Alvin03690 in the end of the map. Alvin03690 was struggling but at least he showed effort there. Finally, it all goes down to match point for TequilaWolf as it was Alvin's turn to take a pick. Alvin picked Kamisama Nejimaki for his last chance to take another point. But it didn't go out as planned for Alvin03690 as TequilaWolf took a higher advantage on combo and accuracy, leading TequilaWolf to take his final point to seal the match. With that, TequilaWolf secured his place in the Quarter-Finals while Alvin03690 will need to play in the Lowers Bracket which I believe he can make it further.

Ex6TenZ 5-3 Rumia-
This was not only the final match of the Ro16, but it was also the repeat of the final of the OMT 2014/2015 season between Ex6TenZ and Rumia-. It was the most exciting match to watch as both of these players square off with each other for the 2nd time. Not only that, they were also the favorites in the tournament which was quite interesting to see as well. With the match about to start, Ex6TenZ won the roll and it was his turn to make the picks. Ex6TenZ chose an interesting pick which is a HR pick, Yotsuya-san ni Yoroshiku. It was a risky move from Ex6TenZ because Rumia- had a really good chance with HR picks. The first match started with both players having a good start. Rumia- was having a combo advantage with a 618 combo lead while Ex6TenZ was having an accuracy advantage. Both scores were going back and forth and it was pretty intense. In the end, Ex6TenZ took the point against Rumia- with a scoreline of 6387 point difference which was really close.

Rumia- decided that he will need to pick a consistency map against Ex6TenZ to take the point advantage. So he did when he picked Wakusei Rabbit. But during the match, Ex6TenZ found his form and made a incredible 1141 combo and 98.74% lead. This gave Ex6TenZ his second point. Ex6TenZ again chose an HR pick, Hana Ranman ~Flowers~ to his advantage. This time however, Rumia- was able to hold himself in the match and with a combo advantage and a 93.11% lead, he finally took his 1st point in the match. After that, Rumia- chose a DT pick, Vidro Moyou to see if he can handle the map against Ex6TenZ. But Ex6TenZ was just too strong in the pick as he FC'ed the map with a 92.74% which was crazy, and also gave Ex6's 3rd point. Ex6TenZ picked the ar8 map, Leia on his 3rd pick. But Rumia- again mananged to get enough combo to secure his 2nd point even though Ex6TenZ was having a accuracy lead. Later on, Ex6TenZ took his 4th point against Rumia- after winning over Rumia-'s pick, Kamisama Nejimaki when he made a choke run after a huge lead of 1445 combo. Freaking madman I must say.

Rumia dropped his 3rd point when he made a dominant finish over Ex6TenZ's pick. Finally, we saw the match ended with Ex6TenZ's final point nailed on the coffin as he won the match over Rumia-'s pick, an ar9 map, BASARA. Rumia- was much likely struggling with the tricky ar9 map, but at least he tried his best to maintain his combo. In the end, it was Ex6TenZ who won the match, bringing him into the Quarter-Finals while Rumia- is needed to play in the Lowers Bracket to try his luck there. But overall, it was a great match besides Desumond vs Wong9ne's match. Hope to see them trying their best in the next rounds.

Well that's the end of the write up summary! Hope to see some exciting matches ahead in the tournament.
Topic Starter
ClawViper
Hoping there are no further W/O's in the tournament :(

We can't force participants to play but it was especially disappointing for the Ro16 as the two W/O'd matches above could have potentially been really close.

Once again, thanks for the write-up. <3
Flashback9

ClawViper wrote:

Hoping there are no further W/O's in the tournament :(

We can't force participants to play but it was especially disappointing for the Ro16 as the two W/O'd matches above could have potentially been really close.

Once again, thanks for the write-up. <3
No probs again m8 ;3
NazzzF
At this point it's no longer about playing rhythm game, as you take the aim, speed and reading to an extreme level. You're better off playing the final mappool with blank 100s/50s. It's like as if accuracy or finger control aren't a skill at all. I get that this is finals, high star rating, high BPM, high everything. But if players already having a hard time passing half of the map then whats even the point? Maybe because you don't want people to just banned hard map and leave the easy in? Leaving them with no choice but to play the hard map? This is not a team tournament where you can just swap player if they can't play certain map.

No Mod

Where's stream map? Oh it's locked behind a HardRock gate, moment of silence for great streamers that aren't an established HR player. Where's 4+ minutes map? I failed to understand as to why map pickers scared off from long maps when there's more and more of them being made. Don't limit yourself. If maps like Ekiben, The Distance and Subconsciousness are acceptable, then a 5 minutes map doesn't seem all that bad (wasn't a bad thing in the first place, moderation is the keyword). 'Generic map' slots has been wasted on Sukisuki Zecchoushou and Mazare Party, one of them could have been the 5min maps. Nanatsu Issenzakura or polygon, pick 1, not both.
Map e.g/suggest : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/744672 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1187302 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/836339 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/893739 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/809469 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/655682

Double Time

DT has always been streamy but finally it's now a lot more diverse. Could be better but I understand the difficulty in finding DT maps. EXEC_HYMM_BATTLESPHERE is a bit too extreme, maybe if the BPM is a tad slower it would've been the best DT map imo.

HardRock

Throughout the tournament I think HR has been lazily picked and not been taken care off properly. Lack of low BPM maps. Too extreme on one side. Lack of 'tech'. Same theme throughout stages (Kiroku no Kakera=Sayonara Heaven=dorchadas). Whatever happens to HR acc battle? Difficulty of HR not only comes from high CS high AR, but also high OD. Unfortunately acc don't matter except maybe on Shuffle Heaven assuming that you can even pass it. Why not pick 2010-2013 map like you did on HD?
Map e.g/suggest : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1300312 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/817155 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/924668 | https://osu.ppy.sh/b/771858

Hidden

Sounds about right, except the super ridiculous The Distance. You can change it to AR9 and it would still be difficult.

TB

Tidur je lah. Another boring wubwub. Squartatrice was a fkin blast to play. I mean at this point why not just throw in something like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1002613 ? If any of the final matches goes to tiebreaker im sure players don't mind playing something a bit more... spicy.

Final thoughts

Low BPMs are gone. Lack of diverse in genre. Too much wub - woob (wolf remix). Not enough love for HardRock. Make the mappool as difficult as you want but lets not get too ridiculous. We want to be competitive while still having fun. Lets not ruin players, sponsors and viewers experience. :)
Topic Starter
ClawViper
Thanks for the feedback, Ex6! I actually disagree with your accuracy point - I actually think that because of the higher difficulty of the maps, accuracy is even more relevant than ever. emphasized further on the Hard Rock maps. At this stage where not many people can get a huge combo, accuracy and ability to play the maps properly is going to decide matches most of the time (except for a few extremes where it really devolves into spamming because of it being nearly unreadable)

NoMod

The streamy/stamina map is found in Joint Struggle, albeit locked behind an AR8 gate (Although one can argue that AR8 isn't as huge of a factor here compared to tough jumps like subconciousness).

Agreed that there could have been a consistency pick which caters to more common ground compared to specific skills - While Sukisuki and Mazare are more straightforward, they are both also extremely difficult in their own right (High BPM jump fullscreen jumps for the former, stream aim and also some tough jumps for the latter). However, at this level I believe that player strengths and weaknesses are becoming more and more apparent and it is very difficult to find a common ground as the SR goes up.

Mentioned about the unreadable spamming - that goes to Nisemono Chuiihou for me actually. Polygon as well to a certain extent, cause of the acc drops at missing entire streams.

Double Time

Not much to say here as DT has always been my Achilles' heel but I share your concern about the difficulty of EXEC_HYMM_BATTLESPHERE. Overall thought this pool was very well balanced otherwise, huge improvement from SF where DT was pretty much locked behind a stream at 230+ BPM gate or you can't play the map.

Hard Rock

Ninelie is super technical in terms of sliders. I actually thought the HR pool had a pretty decent variety this time round - I can't see anyone passing Oriental Blossom's final stream though (Miss one note on a SPACED STREAM at cs6.5 and die at the spinner, wtf)

Hidden

The Distance is definitely one of the hardest maps in the pool. It's actually a really good map but could have found its way in NoMod instead I guess. The 256 bpm streams in EX-Termination is something I didn't like - map would have been excellent except for that deathstream section which just kills the acc of players who can't do them.
Flashback9
Sorry guys, I couldn't continue with the write ups...I just felt stress.. :c so I'm very sorry

But at the same time, I'm pretty hype for the Grand Finals! Good luck to the two finalists, TequilaWolf and wuhua. :D
Topic Starter
ClawViper
22/10/2017 - The osu! Malaysia Tournament 2017 edition has ended!

I want to extend my gratitude to all the following for helping me make this tourney a success:

kuur0 and phox. These two are not even Malaysians but they put in the most effort out of anyone of the staff team into this tournament. They commentated pretty much every match in the bracket stage, with phox being the referee for 6 matches, as well as preparing a very detailed spreadsheet for all the stats geeks out there. Thank you so much, I would really give you both supporter if there are any extra sponsors. Love you both.

Vexine for putting in so much time to stream so many matches and also acting as referee for 5 matches. I should buy you a meal again next time.

[ -Scarlet- ] for the map pool. It would have been so easy to copy + paste from other tournaments but he always strives to find and select maps that have not previously been used for the same mod in other tournaments. He also acted as a referee for 7 matches.

ffstar for filling in for tournament administration whenever I'm busy. Not to mention, he also stood in as referee for a whopping 18 matches despite being a player himself.

Ex6TenZ for making sure this tournament actually feels like it has some sort of production value.

My Angel Hibiki - another non-Malaysian who was willing to help out by streaming and commentating a few matches.

All the other referees - Espalza (Damn this guy took the matches with timings that no one could take, and reff-ed a total of 12 matches! Thanks alot man!), yumesaki-hikari (7 matches), Tohka Yatogami (3 matches), Rumia- (2 matches), Sofiae (1 match), walaowey (1 match).

The other sponsors - Vexine, [ -Scarlet- ], Flabby - chan and Yuu-poi. No one would play if there wasn't any prizes.

All the players who participated in the tournament.

All the viewers in YouTube who made viewing this tournament so much more fun. Special mention to Flashback9 for actually doing lengthy write-ups for some matches and being the largest fan of the Malaysian scene. People like you are the reason why I continue to host tournaments, simply because I actually know that there are people out there enjoying this!

Congratulations to wuhua, TequilaWolf and ffstar for taking their places on the podium.
ffstar
Thanks ClawViper for hosting this again. It was a pretty fun tournament.
Congratulations to wuhua and TequilaWolf :D
Vexine
Thanks ClawViper for hosting the tournament!

Was a good experience being in the staff for the 1st time and learning how to use OBS.

Congratz wuhua, TequilaWolf and ffstar for placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Congratz ShaneLiang for the Rookie Award.

Hope there will be another edition of OMT next year!
Alvin03690
Tbh if I was invited and saw no rewards, I'd still play for fun :3

Defo a fun ride from the beginning~ ^~^