forum

Help hooking Midi drums to Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MoonDude
Okay so I've been trying to make my roland kit work with osu! to play taiko. So far I've tried using a midi translator to bind the signals to keys but it doesn't work because of the way inputs are handled (I think). Has anyone ever been able to pull it off? I've seen little to no info about it.
Thanks for any help you guys could provide!

EDIT: inb4 someone links to other existing posts. I've seen them and pretty much every single one ends with someone saying "oh well" or with no solution whatsoever.
LordAverage
What do you think it is about the way the inputs are handled that makes it incompatible? Logically I would just think as long as you can get 4 distinct signals you can get that translated to the 4 keys for taiko.

I don't really know how to help but i figured a bit more info might help people brainstorm in regards to what the issues are that you have faced already.
Topic Starter
MoonDude
the game seems to recognize the inputs when using the search function but pretty much nothing else, wich leads me to think that the game thinks the inputs are not human since they're pretty much instant, no button press, hold and release, just the input. I've searched everywhere for someone that managed to do it but pretty much all of those who managed to pull it of routed the drums through a guitar hero kit so their computers recognized the midi signals as a joystick. I can't do that I need to translate the midi signals into keystrokes with press, hold and release events and so far there's no hope in sight..
CreepyDuck
I managed to make it work with my Alesis kit by mapping MIDI inputs to mouse buttons using this: https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator#downloads (pro trial version 1.8.3), however there are 2 big issues that I'm still trying to figure out:
1. program seems to randomly stop reading inputs
2. there is significant lag

Both of these make taiko pretty much unplayable, but it does work
Topic Starter
MoonDude

CreepyDuck wrote:

I managed to make it work with my Alesis kit by mapping MIDI inputs to mouse buttons using this: https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator#downloads (pro trial version 1.8.3), however there are 2 big issues that I'm still trying to figure out:
1. program seems to randomly stop reading inputs
2. there is significant lag

Both of these make taiko pretty much unplayable, but it does work

Did you manage to make the 4 keys work? because using only click 1 and 2 makes the double notes seem pointless
LordAverage
You could get a skin that has no big notes shown and just play like that if you don't care about score/leaderboard stuff too much. As a last resort i guess, but big notes are fun for me so I can see why you would wanna get that working as well.
show more