forum

Binding more then one key to the same button?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
73d1b34r
I've been playing taiko for a while, and I've gotten decently good at it. The highest star map I can currently beat is 5 stars. I'm definitely not a pro or anything. However, whenever I watch professional taiko players play the game, they always use two hands instead of one. I've always played using one hand with the default binding (zxcv for kddk) and while this is fine for easier beatmaps, it makes it much harder to play anything above 6 stars, as it is very hard to hit notes that quickly only using one hand.

I wanted to try doing zxnm for kddk instead, but this poses another problem. While this makes hitting notes faster much easier, it makes certain patterns much harder. What I wanted to do would be something like this

z = drum rim left
x = drum center left
n = drum center right
m = drum rim right
c = drum center right
v = drum rim right

Basically, it would allow me to use either one hand or two without needing to have my hands super close together. I would set the controls to zxnm for kddk, but I would use some sort of bind program to make it that c presses n and v presses m, so even though I'm pressing c, the game thinks I'm pressing n, and registers it as a don.

I tried doing this with a simple macro program (PhraseExpress) but it didn't work. Any ideas on how I could do this? Am I even allowed to do this? I could understand why someone would say it gives me an unfair advantage or something, but does it count as cheating? And even better, should it count as cheating?

Anything helps. Thanks!

EDIT: fixed some spelling errors
dragonworm
This does count as cheating, as you have more than 1 key for each note.
Topic Starter
73d1b34r

dragonworm wrote:

This does count as cheating, as you have more than 1 key for each note.

I looked at the rules section and found this

Play fair. Using third-party utilities of any kind to get any sort of advantage is not okay. This includes things like macro programs, aim-assist programs, timescale modification, and so on. If a program is doing something to help you play the game that you should be doing yourself, it isn't okay!

Firstly, to avoid confusion,
Keystroke = the name of the key that my hand touches
Button = what osu thinks I pressed

I'm not really sure if what I want would count as gaining an advantage. I'm basically trying to make it that if I press c (keystroke), it presses left mouse (button) to simulate a don and if I press v (keystroke), it presses right mouse (button) to simulate a kat. I'm not gaining any extra buttons as they are already there. I'm just changing what keystroke activates that button. If you count the mouse, you actually have three buttons for each note (x, c and mouse1 for don / z, v and mouse2 for kat) so I don't think that would count as breaking a rule. I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again for any help.
apaajaboleh10
Lol I'm still playing with 1 hand and I've FC'ed several 6 star map. There is still room for development in your case
Topic Starter
73d1b34r

apaajaboleh10 wrote:

Lol I'm still playing with 1 hand and I've FC'ed several 6 star map. There is still room for development in your case

I know that I still can improve, it's just hard. Also, I managed to get it working for a small amount of time using a custom keyboard layout, however, osu started to ignore this layout and only use the default. It seems to ignore keystrokes from third party software (most likely to prevent cheating by some input recording or whatnot) but only while in play mode. (Remember, keystroke is the name of the key that my finger touches, button is what the game picks up) I kept zxcv the same, so pressing any of them would act normally, however, I bound n(keystroke) to z(button) and m(keystroke) to x(button). This worked for a bit, but after restarting osu, it broke. However, if I were to press n(keystroke) while searching for a song, it would search the letter z, meaning it still picks that key up as z, but only while not in play mode. I'm not sure if there is any easy way around this. Keep in mind, while some may consider this cheating, it hardly matters as I don't compete with other players. I just play because it's fun, and needing to get a second hand to hit a stream is satisfying, but hard to do with zxcv, as the keys are too close. If anyone has any ideas on how this could be done, I would like to know.
apaajaboleh10
Try using the mouse button. By default the left mouse button is left d and the right mouse button is left k. I've tried it about a year ago and it worked. Don't forget to enable mouse button during gameplay (default is F10). This does not count as cheating since this feature is available from the game itself (I think).
show more