forum

How Did You Discover Anime?

posted
Total Posts
show more
SrJuanraHD
I heard a friend talking about some tipe of 'Titans being killed by soldiers' and I was like WTF, then he told me that it was anime, and the anime that he was talking about was 'Shingeki no Kyojin' or 'Attack on Titan'. This was 6 years ago, and now, I can't stop watching anime, I love it. Asuna and Zero-Two best waifus <3
Sensor
Osu! made me discover anime, those anime OP beatmap made me interested in anime
joltypanda
I grew up watching a ton of Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh when I was a kid. During my teens I decided to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and a few more popular animes around 2010s. Ever since i've done nothing but watch.
K4STOR
While I was dealing with depression, I would watch Youtube a lot. I found a recommended video on YouTube that was a funny moments for some anime called Trinity Seven and after watching it I decided to watch the whole anime because it looked funny. After watching it I looked on MyAnimeList and found different recommended ones that were like Trinity Seven. That's when I got into anime.
abraker
I was exposed to anime before I even knew it was anime: Pokemon, Digimon, SonicX

It was in my first year of highschool I started noticing that there is a specific style of animation that is much different from western cartoons. But I didn't know what to call that style, so it was hard to find. Enter my second year of highschool, and my sister comes to me with a recommendation from her friend to watch Fullmetal Alchemist. The rest is history.
kuromamani
por la tele XD
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

I was exposed to anime before I even knew it was anime: Pokemon, Digimon, SonicX
This was me, but I watched Sonic X, Dragon Ball Z Kai, and Dinosaur King, all on 4kids Saturday mornings.

Later, in the beginning of high school (either 9th or 10th grade), I was exposed to this clip:

Of course, I got curious, and did some research; Shimoneta was my first "actual" anime.
Kirika
Used to watch Pokemon on TV, I can't really say this is where it started though, I didn't even know it was anime.

About 3 years ago a friend of mine told me about Sword Art Online. I watched it and instantly fell in love. I was a little let down on pretty much everything after the events of Sword Art Online in the story, but I love this show for introducing me into a world which I will never forget.
Vaxei Junior
A friend of mine told me about it
abraker

johnmedina999 wrote:

abraker wrote:

Later, in the beginning of high school (either 9th or 10th grade), I was exposed to this clip:

Of course, I got curious, and did some research; Shimoneta was my first "actual" anime.
That's one hell of a way to dive in. Not sure if I would have watched anime if my first wasn't something as awesome as FMA
Dialect
no
ChaikaHQ
I used to watch Dragonball and Shaman King on a TV channel I found when I was like... 7? maybe 8?
I had no idea that it was anime until I eventually started searching for similar shows.
TeeArctic1
I was always a huge pokémon fan growing up and would wake up at 6 every Saturday to catch the new episode. Then I got a friend that was hooked on DBZ, pretty weeb dude, but cool nonetheless.
We played around with various storymaking and eventually we watched some anime. Done deal, weeb ever since
Yvan
Friends..
God Only Knows
b
Reactions
I watched Bey-blade, Pokemon, etc. On cartoon channels.

(I would watch Pokemon almost every morning.)
DeletedUser_8734694
Sytex
So I started to play this game called "osu" pretty weeb game and I found a song that I really like after further investigation I found out if was from a show called "Z/X something" aaaand I watched it. thats basically how I found out about anime (childhood animes don't count btw) after that my life was ruined but I have 2d waifus now so I call it worth btw the show was pretty shitty lmao
koemada
i happened to see a tokyo ghoul fan acc on my insta feed and decided to check it out lol
ririga
When you're Asian, you grow up with it, watching stuff like Doraemon, Crayola Shin-chan, and the like. It just kind of happened after I saw my sister watch Shugo Chara! and a few years later, I discovered To Love Ru and I got hooked on anime afterwards.
Kaitoh
My brothers were watching Parasyte one day on TV back in 2016ish & I just happened to pass by right when there was an epic fight scene, so I asked them what show it was and the rest is history. XD
Grimbolo
When I was little I used to go to West Virginia to visit my great grandparents and my cousin used to live with them and his room was full of anime and manga. Every time I visited them I would go straight to his room and read the Shonen Jump magazines. When he left to live on his own he left the Shonen Jump magazines (and a few hentai mangas on accident). I decided to take them home and they are with me to this day. Except the hentai, those were confiscated :(
Xyloze
Honestly my first time finding out about anime was through youtube lmfao
valsack632
I found anime through youtube music backgrounds and miraie tbh.
HeyImNik
I heard about it from my group of friends, they always keep talking about one piece or bleach, they would recognize masks or some stupid stuff and I kinda felt left out.
So I asked one of them if he could recommend me a few beginner anime, not some heavy stuff and long like one piece or other long anime.
Technically Death Note was the first anime I watched fully, but the one that actually got me into watching anime daily was Elfen Lied, which I watched like half a year later after Death Note.
Then I proceeded to watching more triple A titles like Shingeki no Kyojin, Clannad, Swort Art Online, etc..
Up to this day, which has been like 2.6 years, I managed to watch about 150 anime series. Im a little over the half in One Piece and I finished Bleach long time ago. :)
As I started watching more and more anime, I started to develop my own taste which is basically Romance + comedy or action + comedy.
theCarlos7u7
for You tube
[ Sekki ]
my cousin introduced me
DeletedUser_10883764
From a mobile game lol, also someone tell me to play osu! and I felt like "Hmm.. The songs are not bad..." And I googled that specific song which leads me to anime XD
Lumyh
when i was a kid i'd watch pokémon on tv ;-;
i re-discovered it through SAO Memory Defrag and that got me into SAO, which got me into anime as a whole
SepelaThons
My parents are otakus...( ´ ▽ ` )
TimeLimit
Watched high school DXD back in 2015.
DeletedUser_6716377
-
Journal
I think I was searching new episodes for Happy Camp when one of those ads appeared on YT back in 2011 or so. Started searching it up and here I am
samX500
A couple years ago I used to play hearthstone and stumbled upon nightcore music while watching some hearthstone video. I got really into it and got interested in anime because of how present it is in nightcore.
keremaru
first watched bakugan

then came to late night naruto on toonami back in 2013, watched s1 sao

6 years later i'm a certified japanese speaking weeb :^
Lembambo
me and my brother used to watch naruto together back in 2013
i only watch naruto and bleach tho

and in 2015, i found this post on facebook that talks about angel beats's ending. getting curious, i read the post and then got confused because i didn't understand anything. and yeah, i decided to watch angel beats and got addicted to anime since then
CamelWhistle904
I found out about anime at a young age (around 5 or 6), and started watching shows like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dragon Ball. After a year of watching anime, my parents (annoyed at all of the yelling evident in anime) banned me from watching anime altogether. After that I didn't really watch anime until my uncle introduced me to Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet several years later. Eventually I found anime like Bleach, Sword Art Online, and Soul Eater and my dive into Otaku culture was inevitable. From there I found more stuff similar to anime such as Vocaloid, J-pop, Touhou, and games like OSU!.
Junkella
Funimation Channel and Cartoon Network when they aired Inuyasha

Got more into it when a friend was shouting Hetalia quotes in elementary school
Tranquilmonia
I used to read a monthly Nintendo magazine, "Club Nintendo", which, for some time, had some pages dedicated to Japanese series/retro games. This section was called "Un vistazo a Japón" (A glimpse of Japan), and, to be honest, I didn't really like that they would use pages to talk about things that weren't precisely Nintendo games. ( ; =ᆺ= )

I remember one day being particularly bored, so I decided to finish reading my Nintendo magazines, since I always avoided reading Un vistazo a Japón. Needless to say, I was very much impressed by the way they talked about those japanese series, and more so of how they presented Neon Genesis Evangelion.

A couple of days after that wise decision (hehe), I watched my first espisode of Eva. I have to say that I wasn't really aware I was watching anime or that I was getting into the otaku culture until my third or fourth anime. I also discovered Death Note and Ef: a Tale of Memories through that magazine. ^^

Good times ~ ( =ᆺ= )
AncapOtaku
In my school friends watching anime.One of them was Fullmetal:Alchemist who, out of curiosity, i started to watch. Later I watched Death Note. And so began my adventure with Anime. Even before I became a Otaku I listened to Nightcore.
show more