forum

REAL - Reduce audio latency on Windows 10

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
miniant

REAL - REduce Audio Latency

What does this do?
As the title implies, this application reduces perceived delay between a keypress and the audio feedback. The application is not limited to osu! but also works on the vast majority of other games and programs running on Windows 10.

Performance
My 40.3ms average delay in osu! dropped down to 31ms after installing Windows HDAudio driver and enabling low latency mode with REAL, but your mileage may wary.

To achieve the best results please follow the setup instructions.

oSumAtrIX
This will be hot 👌 does this also apply to Windows 7 fa?
Topic Starter
miniant

oSumAtrIX wrote:

does this also apply to Windows 7

This application makes use of an Audio Engine's feature that has been introduced since Windows 10. Running REAL on older OS versions (Windows 8.1 and earlier) should not have an effect to audio latency.

If lower audio latency is what you're after, just installing Windows 10 will bring a 4.5-16ms reduction in round-trip latency for all applications.
Starger
35ms is still awful, and you won't get <10ms without ASIO (which isn't supported for some reason) anyway, sorry to disappoint.
DXPOHIHIHI
Buy a new computer
E m i
thanks this works insta noticeably and very appreciably

aside from reducing audio latency would it also make windows audio more accurate than up to 10ms?

the second one would be a revelation, if od11 300s are allowed to be up to 12ms off in one direction but the hitsounds always needed to be 10ms off to sound off. od11 always required you to play better than what you can even HEAR, and that complicated stuff a lot... especially that all of this wasn't even consistent
Topic Starter
miniant

Momi wrote:

would it also make windows audio more accurate than up to 10ms?

REAL takes the default HDAudio driver's 10ms buffer and shrinks it down to around 2.7ms, but there's more.

Taken from Low Latency Audio documentation:
When an application uses buffer sizes below a certain threshold to render and capture audio, the OS enters a special mode, where it manages its resources in a way that avoids interference between the audio streaming and other subsystems. This will reduce the interruptions in the execution of the audio subsystem and minimize the probability of audio glitches.

To me this reads as though Windows 10 will indeed make an effort to push the audio stream out faster in addition to what REAL does. This would explain why I see people experiencing more than 10ms reduction in latency, and I would expect a similar result on your setup.

P.S.
Love the fact that your forum signature contains the word "REAL" in all-caps.
Tailsun
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to mention how much I appreciate this. I've spent hours trying every method I could find to make osu to feel "right" and was never able to. Eventually I learned to turn up my headphones, crank the hitsounds, and basically detach from what my fingers were doing and (try) to adjust accordingly.

Switching my audio driver and using this program made an immediately noticeable impact. I've played with it for a few hours now and it's made osu(mania) feel like a whole new game, in a good way. I've already been able to breeze through a few maps that had me hanging on for dear life just a day or two ago.

The hardest part now will be to "unlearn" the huge amount of rushing that I've subconsciously built into my play. It feels amazing to relax and let my ears and hands be in sync again.

Thank you! Now I can't help but wonder how amazing it would be to have ASIO support...
Mozzarella
Thanks c:
lm2578
From me too a big thanks :) Would never play osu! without it again.
Metallica92
I know this post is old.
After updating my system to those HD Audio drivers, my Windows's sound is super quiet.
How do I fix it?
DarkStar1O9
Noticeable difference thanks
AMO
This is an amazing program, unfortunately however it only works with the windows audio driver, if this got an update to work with dacs and soundcards I would kiss the developer on the lips.
ikiy

AMO wrote:

This is an amazing program, unfortunately however it only works with the windows audio driver, if this got an update to work with dacs and soundcards I would kiss the developer on the lips.
this
PercyDan

ikiy wrote:

AMO wrote:

this
Known issue
https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues/8224
ciru
Is it possible to update this program for windows 11 as it doesn't work anymore since I have updated.
E m i

ciru wrote:

Is it possible to update this program for windows 11 as it doesn't work anymore since I have updated.
Your audio driver is probably responsible, try uninstalling the driver and using the one windows will automatically install
0ka
hitsounds sound ahead of time (earlier than beat in music) after running the app. it's noticeable in offset wizard.
Wutever

0ka wrote:

hitsounds sound ahead of time (earlier than beat in music) after running the app. it's noticeable in offset wizard.
have noticed this too. i kinda just permanatly use very low hitsound volume and sometimes literally just a different version of my skin that has no hitsounds at all. ( so i dont mute all other effects )

pretty much the entire reason i tried this ( a while ago actually ) was because i was tired of the CONSTANT map by map offset variance since peppy changed the audio engine 3 years ago. this didnt help with that and dispite yes feeling like the latency is different now i have hitsounds that sound messed up to me......the past 6 months or so have made me doubt if ive ever had any ability to tell the difference between off or not to begin with tbh.
Sguzaki

Wutever wrote:

0ka wrote:

have noticed this too. i kinda just permanatly use very low hitsound volume and sometimes literally just a different version of my skin that has no hitsounds at all. ( so i dont mute all other effects )

pretty much the entire reason i tried this ( a while ago actually ) was because i was tired of the CONSTANT map by map offset variance since peppy changed the audio engine 3 years ago. this didnt help with that and dispite yes feeling like the latency is different now i have hitsounds that sound messed up to me......the past 6 months or so have made me doubt if ive ever had any ability to tell the difference between off or not to begin with tbh.

just put the offset wizard slider to the left until it feels right. mine is at -8
show more