forum

[Archived] Updating map makes it go back to old version

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xasuma
Problem Details:
I was having trouble with the background of a map not changing properly. (Thumbnails would remain as the old bg and files would not change in the song folder). After I updated the map to make the changes with the new background, all my maps "went back in time" to an old version of every map. I lost a whole week worth of work.

And this is not the first time this has happened.

Does anybody know if there is a way to download older versions of a map? If I could go back to the version of 20 mins ago before I updated "AN IMAGE" I could get all my work back.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

This is the missmatch thumbnail and bg that started this thing: http://puu.sh/sBkp3/6f2a06e845.jpg

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
Starrodkirby86
Sorry to have that happen to you.

For the background stuff, the local thumbnail is cached inside a hidden data folder on osu!, so it doesn't reload the thumbnail when you make a new BG change (even if the web browser properly displays that new thumbnail). A solution can be found here.

When you say that you "updated your map" and stuff, do you mean that you clicked on the button from the song selection menu that said "Update to latest version" what-have-you, only to find out that your map "went back in time", as in, your local changes were lost and replaced by the last uploaded version?

If this was the case, then I'm afraid that there isn't really any way to retrieve that older version back. :/

I had this one time where I was trying to submit for a beatmap contest, and I had everything all ready to go. Then I went ahead and renamed the difficulty, and accidentally overwrote my about-to-be-submitted entry with a blank new difficulty. It was minutes before the deadline too. It really gave me a sour taste at the end of it all. So I can relate, and I'm sorry for that to have happened to you.

Version control for beatmaps (i.e. being able to revert back to older versions, etc.) is a feature that would be really awesome to have, and there do exists feature requests for it. In the future, the best thing I can really suggest is to upload and resubmit often after making saves, and to be wary of that "Update" button.

Good luck on things.
Topic Starter
xasuma

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

When you say that you "updated your map" and stuff, do you mean that you clicked on the button from the song selection menu that said "Update to latest version" what-have-you, only to find out that your map "went back in time", as in, your local changes were lost and replaced by the last uploaded version?
I mean, in the editor, after I "changed the background" I went to File/Upload Beatmap... (Ctrl+Shift+U) . And uploaded the map to "the latest version with the new background". Something happened during that update, because when I was done uploading the new version. My mapset reverted back to what it was about 1 week ago~.

-Note 1: I have uploaded/updated probably new versions of this map about 20 times in between the version that it was reverted to, and the "last version" I had last night. So I don't understand why it chose a version (or how it even got it) that had been overridden about 20 times~ in the past week .
-Note 2: before uploading the map, a pop up window came up telling me "Some files are not being used, would you like to delete them before uploading?" (or something along those lines), which I said yes to since it made sense that it was referring to the old background image that was no longer being used.

I've accepted that I ll have to remap it again. But I would like this bug to get confirmed by someone else if possible, so it can be fixed. As I stated before this is the second time this has happened to me. (I don't recall the specifics of the first time) but if it does happen again, or if I can replicate it, I will post again.
Kao
I don't think osu! Archives old version that it'll magically rollback to a week ago

Possibly could these two be related?
t/507477

Your map got cut instead then you just thought it rollbacked to a week ago
(Maybe it's also cut at 1:29?)
Topic Starter
xasuma

Kao wrote:

I don't think osu! Archives old version that it'll magically rollback to a week ago

Possibly could these two be related?
t/507477

Your map got cut instead then you just thought it rollbacked to a week ago
(Maybe it's also cut at 1:29?)
I read that before. But they are different. My map did not get cut, it actually got rollback. Although the source of the issue might be related. I think mine was triggered when I switch backgrounds.
Merami Fox
it rolls back to the last uploaded version, if you add a guest diff, it will be there, it will just rollback submitted maps, you need to update before you obtain a copy of the persons guest diff.
Death
This thread is 2 years old, please don't bump super old posts. The issue here wasn't even related to Guest Difficulties.