forum

Black or Red?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Joof
I'm planning on buying the Steelseries 6Gv2, but I'm not sure which one would be better. The black switches or the red switches, now, before you start going, oh, buying a mechanical keyboard just for osu! isn't worth it. But, I'm not only using it for osu!, that's the thing, I play other games and I need a good keyboard with anti ghosting, etc. Also I'm sorta like a Steelseries fanboy haha.

So, anyways, which one do you guys prefer or recommend? Black or Red?
Hiryuu_old
That's entirely up to you really, black or red switches doesn't change anything besides in a visual way. I haven't bought any Steelseries products so I'm not sure how a color difference will really change anything :P. Usually black is the best (as standard), but if you find red to give a nice visual effect, then go for red.
laport
green looks the best

Topic Starter
Joof
): . It's not about looks. Black and Red switches have different forces. In reality, they have the same feeling and features except the Black has a stronger force to press down, while the Red switches are easier.

I was just hoping if anyone has any idea which one would be better. I'm sort of leaning towards the black switches, as people have said they're usually the main switches for gaming.
Emaal
I've had both... And well, if you just want to go right away, and be able to feel comfortable around it then black. If you choose red it'll take a bit longer to get used to, but it reacts faster.

I prefer red, though I know people who as well, prefer black.
Topic Starter
Joof

Emaal wrote:

I've had both... And well, if you just want to go right away, and be able to feel comfortable around it then black. If you choose red it'll take a bit longer to get used to, but it reacts faster.

Alright, I'll probably go with Black, but I sorta wanted to see how the red feels like as well.

laport wrote:

green looks the best

Are there even green switches?
Emaal

Joof wrote:

Emaal wrote:

Alright, I'll probably go with Black, but I sorta wanted to see how the red feels like as well.

laport wrote:

green looks the best

Are there even green switches?
Black are also cheaper iirc!

And yes there are greens, but they're horrible, don't consider.
Marblehead
Like Emaal said, you'll feel more comfortable with blacks. As a reference, consider that conventional rubber-dome keyboards require higher force than blacks (60g for blacks, 70-80g for rubber-domes).

Actually, I was in the same dilemma a few days ago and after some research I decided that I will buy blacks. Maybe I'll switch to reds after one or two years of getting used to a mechanical keyboard.
PhiLL A
Reds unless you have fingers like this:

Also, super black master race.

List of all Cherry MX switches:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Cherry_MX
Pacemaker
Blacks won't slow you down just because they're harder to press, your fingers get used to them just like they do to any other switch.

Joof wrote:

before you start going, oh, buying a mechanical keyboard just for osu! isn't worth it
Like anyone's gonna judge you for that. You think people on here coincidentally started out with mech keyboards? lol
h3k1ru
if i only had a chance to change my mind when i bought black switches, i would buy blue instead
Wishy
If the switch is lighter then it's better.

Red is lighter than black and uses pretty much the same mechanism therefore it's better. This is not about opinions and preference but physical facts. If the button requires less force to be activated then your endurance on streams or 1/2 will be better.

What is, indeed, about preference, is choosing between blue or red. Using red switches means you gotta bottom out the key for it to work, on Blue ones you don't.

Most of what people will tell you about this is pure crap, I've tested red, blue, black, buckler-spring (those old IBM switches I don't know how they are called) and I wouldn't even think about getting anything besides red or blue. Not talking about brown switches since I barely used them but they are kind of a mix between blue and black so meh. If you want switches which are just better go with either red or blue, rest are not as good as them for osu!.
s ranker disc
u dont need special keyboards :o i only use the standard built in keyboard lol and i thought i was bad XD 8-)
Jordan

shaddisc wrote:

u dont need special keyboards :o i only use the standard built in keyboard lol and i thought i was bad XD 8-)
it is
Kanye West

Wishy wrote:

Red is lighter than black and uses pretty much the same mechanism therefore it's better. This is not about opinions and preference but physical facts. If the button requires less force to be activated then your endurance on streams or 1/2 will be better.

What is, indeed, about preference, is choosing between blue or red. Using red switches means you gotta bottom out the key for it to work, on Blue ones you don't.

Most of what people will tell you about this is pure crap, I've tested red, blue, black, buckler-spring (those old IBM switches I don't know how they are called) and I wouldn't even think about getting anything besides red or blue. Not talking about brown switches since I barely used them but they are kind of a mix between blue and black so meh. If you want switches which are just better go with either red or blue, rest are not as good as them for osu!.
So I guess then my question to you is, which is best for playing osu with between red, blue, and brown?
Emaal

Wishy wrote:

wow

hahah you're funny

first, no you don't need to bottom out a red switch.
second, it's not a fact. it depends on you and yourself. if you can't get used to red, then obviously black is the better choice. and that's really it; nothing more to it. Adapt, or not. there's not facts playing a role here, unless I am some genie who breaks the "facts".
Wishy
Ok Emaal, let's put it this way:

You got two different objects.

A's weight is 20kg.
B's weight is 10kg.

Are you gonna be able to lift A's weight easier, more times and faster than B? No. Even if you're used to lift 20kg, it's gonna be easier to lift less, always. If you're used to blacks then CONGRATULATIONS, try getting used to red ones and you will notice a big improvement. I was used to those buckler-spring switches, switched to blue and over the next 2/3 days my endurance on streams improved quite a bit. In fact it did pretty much immediatly, but I was just streaming too fast on everything.

And as far as I knew reds and blacks need to be bottomed out to activate. Just asked Metro though and apparently they activate before so I don't know what's the difference between red and blue anymore lol.

@Kanye. I can't really say I tried brown but they just felt like blue's but just harder to press. Between blue and red I prefer blue but that's up to preference, both require almost the same force for activation so...
Tanzklaue

Wishy wrote:

@Kanye. I can't really say I tried brown but they just felt like blue's but just harder to press. Between blue and red I prefer blue but that's up to preference, both require almost the same force for activation so...
fun fact: brown is lighter than blue.

you just disproved your statement.
jesse1412

Wishy wrote:

A's weight is 20kg.
B's weight is 10kg.

Are you gonna be able to lift A's weight easier, more times and faster than B? No. Even if you're used to lift 20kg, it's gonna be easier to lift less, always. If you're used to blacks then CONGRATULATIONS, try getting used to red ones and you will notice a big improvement. I was used to those buckler-spring switches, switched to blue and over the next 2/3 days my endurance on streams improved quite a bit. In fact it did pretty much immediatly, but I was just streaming too fast on everything.

And as far as I knew reds and blacks need to be bottomed out to activate. Just asked Metro though and apparently they activate before so I don't know what's the difference between red and blue anymore lol.

I can officially say that's bullshit. I can stream for longer with less effort on reds but I can't attain my old speed.
Emaal

jesus1412 wrote:

Wishy wrote:

A's weight is 20kg.
B's weight is 10kg.

I can officially say that's bullshit. I can stream for longer with less effort on reds but I can't attain my old speed.
and you were the guy i had in my thoughts all the time whilst writing what I wrote

nohomo
show more