forum

Tipper - Apex Of The Vortex

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
verychill
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on maanantai 12. lokakuuta 2020 at 0.20.36

Artist: Tipper
Title: Apex Of The Vortex
Tags: forward escape ambient instrumental electronic spiral concept
BPM: 88
Filesize: 4345kb
Play Time: 02:10
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (2,82 stars, 238 notes)
  2. Insane (3,31 stars, 299 notes)
  3. Normal (2,11 stars, 144 notes)
  4. Vortex (3,72 stars, 331 notes)
Download: Tipper - Apex Of The Vortex
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Smol circles🔍🤔

Insane: Clockwise (no more than 1 consecutive CCW movement)
Vortex: Spiral playfield concept, CS10

BUT WHY?
I've had the idea of a concept where the entire map is on a spiraling line for a very long time. The issue is, there's only so little room in the editor. Theoretically, it could be done with CS10 though... One day, extreme CS values became rankable, and that was the push that made me go for it.

Since CS10 isn't very playable, I wanted for the song to be as chill and ambient as possible. After stumbling upon Dreamsters by Drimm, I took a look at Tipper's discography and found "the" song. Not only did the song had "vortex" in its name, perfectly fitting the concept I had in mind, but in addition it was just perfect in every sense.

The next step was to fit the song in the spiral. I drew a reference bg of a spiral, and roughly split it into similarly sized sections, one for each hypermeasure. To make sure I'd succeed on one go with no need for a remap, I reverse mapped the song from the end. In the end, no remapping needed to be done. There's one more thing I kept constant: the snare on even beat is always more or less closer to the center than the previous one.

In the top left corner of the background image, there's a girl floating in space. All maps in the spread start and end at the top left corner, expressing her journey from her homeworld into the apex of a cosmic vortex... The design of the ending sliderart has a spread concept: the slider does one extra lap in the spiral every ascending difficulty.

Thanks bns
spoes & Zelq

BG

Osu for ants collection:
1: Vortex <<
2: Sink Lateral
3: Expand