forum

Why not many people playing Taiko mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mango Roddy
Why not many people playing Taiko mode
MillhioreF
Having notes on the same lane that need to be hit with different buttons is confusing to many people, myself included. There's also a lack of obvious Taiko-specific maps for beginners, so many players are turned off of Taiko because of that. (Plenty are made, but they typically don't get much attention, especially from people who don't read the forums and notice the stickied "Taiko Beginner Training" thread)
darkmiz
Because taiko lacks the visual appeal like standard, it doesn't have flashy gameplay, and there are too few taiko skins.
It's like taiko is only meant to be played by hardcore rhythm gamers.
Topic Starter
Mango Roddy
this reason...
Oinari-sama
I tried to like Taiko but it just never worked for me. I really hate the over-powering hit sound killing the music (well duh - it's Taiko afterall, supposed to be loud).
buny
taiko is very hard to get in to
TheVileOne
It's annoying, blurry, and requires hand-eye coordination that I do not possess.
OzzyOzrock
because a majority of people quit trying after their first try

>_>
DakeDekaane
Because playing Taiko with keyboard isn't comfortable to many people, specially in Oni and some Muzukashii, Taiko requires a lot of coordination, a joystick or something like a drums peripheral, makes easier this, but I have no idea if there are something like that compatible with osu!
Touche

OzzyOzrock wrote:

>_>
thissssssssss

taiko is only dedication and practice :3

i think other rhythm games players can play it, especially Stepmania/Beatmania/DJMAX/EZ2DJ players :3
Aqo

buny wrote:

This, really.

Due to the difficulty of finding low-diff maps to play on that actually help you improve.
Even if you can find them, most lowdiffs focus on simple patterns and some basic timestamps which doesn't really teach somebody coming from osu into taiko anything at all. The only way to learn taiko is by playing muzu/oni with HT to get maps that actually teach you taiko patterns while being at a speed that you can follow as a beginner.
XK2238
<post>
<justsaying>

darkmiz wrote:

Because taiko lacks the visual appeal like standard, it doesn't have flashy gameplay, and there are too few taiko skins.
It's like taiko is only meant to be played by hardcore rhythm gamers.
appearance doesn't matter in Taiko. (except the kiai, on my side)

Oinari-sama wrote:

I tried to like Taiko but it just never worked for me. I really hate the over-powering hit sound killing the music (well duh - it's Taiko afterall, supposed to be loud).
if you use the Taiko skin, it is. Why not try removing the hitsound files and see if it can be better?

TheVileOne wrote:

It's annoying, blurry, and requires hand-eye coordination that I do not possess.
I've never encountered any blurs, really (or is it because of my skin?). What FPS do you play on? Also, Std requires the same thing y'know >.>

OzzyOzrock wrote:

>_>
^ preferably this

DakeDekaane wrote:

Because playing Taiko with keyboard isn't comfortable to many people, specially in Oni and some Muzukashii, Taiko requires a lot of coordination, a joystick or something like a drums peripheral, makes easier this, but I have no idea if there are something like that compatible with osu!
NOT a must, and NOT 100% true.

Aqo wrote:

buny wrote:

This, really.

Due to the difficulty of finding low-diff maps to play on that actually help you improve.
Even if you can find them, most lowdiffs focus on simple patterns and some basic timestamps which doesn't really teach somebody coming from osu into taiko anything at all. The only way to learn taiko is by playing muzu/oni with HT to get maps that actually teach you taiko patterns while being at a speed that you can follow as a beginner.
this, too, isn't a must. I began my Taiko career AND improved my skills with Std maps (on the early 2-3 months or so), and I don't see why do you have to play Taiko diffs/maps from the beginning (of your Taiko career).

</justsaying>
</post>
lolcubes
I have to agree with people here that there are few maps which can provide a proper entry level into the game mode.
I am not playing taiko that often, but when I do I cannot play a lot of maps because I am not skilled enough. My problem is that there are almost no maps which have a good difficulty transition, so I am stuck in an area where Muzukashii diffs are somewhat easy for me, while Oni diffs are impossible most of the time for me.
Natsu
I try to play taiko but I realized I'm the worst player in taiko xD
OnosakiHito
It's funny. Actually the community is way larger if we don't just consider osu!-taiko. :lol:
Well, we are receiving more and more easier maps.
kriers
I'm sure everyone will run over to play tako now, Flandre XKarlet!

Reason why I stayed away from taiko is because if I play something, I want to be super good at it, and I just can't bear with working hard enough to enjoy taiko to the fullest. I got standard PP ranks to feed!
JappyBabes
Two Reasons:
  1. Didn't know it existed for quite some time.
  2. Don't have 120Hz so everything kind of blurs on fast maps.
Aqo

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

this, too, isn't a must. I began my Taiko career AND improved my skills with Std maps (on the early 2-3 months or so), and I don't see why do you have to play Taiko diffs/maps from the beginning (of your Taiko career).
Some people don't want to wait 2 months until they can start playing real maps.
XK2238

JappyBabes wrote:

Two Reasons:
  1. Didn't know it existed for quite some time.
  2. Don't have 120Hz so everything kind of blurs on fast maps.
my ordinary LG monitor is only up to 60 Hz, but no blurs at all (as I've mentioned earlier in my post, I don't know whether it's because of my skin or not). My osu is at around 140/150~170fps.

Aqo wrote:

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

Some people don't want to wait 2 months until they can start playing real maps.

^ I forgot to tell you that. orz
Oinari-sama

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

if you use the Taiko skin, it is. Why not try removing the hitsound files and see if it can be better?
Eh? What do you mean? Wouldn't that mute the hitsound completely? It would be nice if the hit sound level can be adjusted in Taiko.

I've only played a few maps that has a traditional Japanese theme, in which the Taiko hit sound level doesn't really bother me since it blends in with the music nicely. Those are really really old maps like ookami...
show more