forum

Bump of Chicken - Sailing Day

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zweihander
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 11:20:29 PM

Artist: Bump of Chicken
Title: Sailing Day
BPM: 190
Filesize: 16559kb
Play Time: 03:38
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (1.79 stars, 203 notes)
  2. Hard (4 stars, 302 notes)
Download: Bump of Chicken - Sailing Day
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first beatmap.

This is a song by Bump of Chicken and is also a song in DrumMania10th Mix. Got the video from there.

Please comment on so that I could change it if necessary. Thanks a lot.

----

Edited the beatmap again taking into account the comments. Fixed some beat distances and a few beat timings.

Please keep the comments coming! Thanks again!

----

Another edit! Once again edited taking into account comments regarding note placements and a new timing section. I also lowered the slider rate to 1 because it sounds better XD

Thanks for the comments!

----

Fixed more note placements. Resnapping made a handful of hits go offbeat by 1/4. Fixed those, and reviewed both maps as well. If I missed out anything, please tell me XD

Thanks again XD

----

Deleted a play section in Hard, elongating the break before and the play section after it.

----

Overhauled beat spacings in Normal to make it more regular and consistent. Took into consideration the comment of chan. Thanks XD

----

Minor timing fixes. Adjusted some notes by 1/8 somehwere at 02:15:00 Normal. Removed some whistles in Hard too. XD
Phrygian
I only tried hard mode, but I thought I'd comment a bit...

I liked the patters, they were interesting and mostly in rhythm, and it followed the song nicely. :D
One small thing about those though, I THINK the rhythm at the end of the yellow combo at 13 seconds is slightly off, but that's just being picky. xD (They should fall on the 1/2 beat divisions)

I also think the timing was a little off too, especially near the start and as you got to the end. I'm not an expert on bpms or offsets though, so I can't really help there... Oh, and your offset is in an.. interesting position... I think they're usually at the start of a song, but if it works where it is, I don't know if it matters. (It's in the middle of the song now).

I did like the map overall, good job. =D (But I'm no expert. xP)
Cecilthemos
Very nice for your first beatmap, and it's a really good song too.
There are a few problems though, the timing is perfect, but what were you thinking with the offset? It's nowhere near where the song starts, I found 3,650.
On hard:
The combo at 13:75 has eighth notes, and while they go along with the lyrics, they are hard to follow in a beatgame, and switching them from fourth to eighth makes it easier to follow, also, I suggest spacing the 5 and 6 at 53:70, they're too close for my liking for how far away in timing they are. The 2 and 3 around 1:13:75 have too much space in between them, it's hard to get the 3 with the 2 ending so far from it, same with the 7-8 section at 1:22:91.
On easy:
At 2:05, the distance seems a bit long for an easy map, everything else plays fine.
Also, remember to resnap the notes that may be off due to the offset change.
Topic Starter
Zweihander
I found it difficult to time this map. I placed the offset there because it was there I found the beats to be constant and easy to follow. I'm sure about its BPM; I'm only having problems with the offset. Well since the beat is constant, what I thought is that it won't matter where the offset is placed. Or does it? Anyway, I'll put the offset in the beginning of the song (as you said, 3,650 — thanks a lot for this).

I made easy more follow the beat. The hard one goes with the rhythm. What I thought here was that normally you'll play the easy one first to get acquainted with the song (or something like that :D).

I'll adjust the notes you pointed out accordingly as well. I'll go over the map again when I have some spare time from school.

Thank you very much for your comments. They are well taken and are very much appreciated. :D
Cecilthemos
Sorry, should've done this a while ago. I'm bubbling this map.
Saturos
Saving this from the depths of the completed boards.

This is rankable once these two things are addressed:

1. The red 8 slider at 1:16:85 is spaced as a full beat, but timed as a half beat, and as such, is spaced oddly. Either move the slider closer to the 7, or move 5-7 down a bit to fix this.

2. The yellow 2 at 2:28:15 is a tad too far right, move it a notch left to match up with how to 1 and 3 are placed.

Will rank once this is done.
peppy
Hmm, I still have a problem with the timing.

I found two timing sections to work well:

bpm190 offset3650
bpm189.28 offset150523

Without the second one, the song drifts off timing-wise.

Surprised noone picked this up yet.. :|
Topic Starter
Zweihander
Okay, I'll work on it right away! Thanks! :D
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Zweihander
Haha thanks thanks a lot! XD
Topic Starter
Zweihander

peppy wrote:

Hard:
2:17-2:29 this section feels too short wedged in between two breaks
2:46-2:53 3:14-3:22 same as before - off by 1/4th.
About 2:14-2:29, I placed this section because I feel that the break would become too long. That part of the song isn't very "interesting" as well, IMHO, so I didn't entirely make that part into a section. It's just there to make the break become shorter, unless a long break is fine.

In any case, I did fix the ones in (now named) Normal and the other parts in Hard.

Thanks for the comment. :D

----

Fixed this one. Deleted that section, and started the next section about 20-30 secs earlier.
chan
Some of the beat spacings are a bit inconsistent, such as on normal @ 00:54:49, bit of a jump from (5) of previous combo, also the (2) after the slider is a bit far as well.
I don't know if you think this needs to be addressed, but if not, I can rush this through for ranking if you'd like,
Topic Starter
Zweihander
I'll fix this one first. I already noticed it before and was just waiting for a comment about it. Thanks a lot. :D
chan
Hmmm, seems like I overlooked this one a bit.
In normal: section from 02:17:78 up to 02:26:78 seems a bit off, try shifting all those notes back by 1/4 of a beat. At least you cleared up the beat spacing stuff.
Same with hard, 5 note combo from 02:17:78 should be shifted back by 1/4 of a beat. So close to ranking this, luckily (or unluckily) I spotted those.
Topic Starter
Zweihander

chan wrote:

Hmmm, seems like I overlooked this one a bit.
In normal: section from 02:17:78 up to 02:26:78 seems a bit off, try shifting all those notes back by 1/4 of a beat. At least you cleared up the beat spacing stuff.
Same with hard, 5 note combo from 02:17:78 should be shifted back by 1/4 of a beat. So close to ranking this, luckily (or unluckily) I spotted those.
The one in Normal is already fine as it is. I tried adjusting them by 1/4 a beat, but they sound too early or too late. But are you sure about 02:17:78 of Hard? I've already turned that portion into a break (peppy said so XD)

Erm and Edit mode in Osu! caused my computer to freeze twice. :(
chan
Ok, I looked into this again.
I think that for normal, leave the green combo at 02:17:78, but the next notes from 02:19:20, until 02:26:78 should be shifted back by 1/4 of a beat. I listened to this at 0.5x speed, but maybe confirm this for yourself.
So maybe note 5 of that combo at 02:17:78 should be shifted back by 1/4 of a beat as well?
Topic Starter
Zweihander
I've taken into consideration your comment, chan. I tried listening to it, but I really can't say it's 1/4 of a beat. I tried 1/8, and it works for me. :D
peppy
I think chan has run out of things to pick on this, and I sure don't have anything left. This map seems polished enough that I am ready to hand down my verdict.

The map has been judged

R A N K E D
Topic Starter
Zweihander
Oh yay! :)

A question though, is it still possible add a storyboard? I'm currently deliberating with myself if I would put one. :D
peppy

Zweihander wrote:

Oh yay! :)

A question though, is it still possible add a storyboard? I'm currently deliberating with myself if I would put one. :D
Sure is. Although this already has a pretty epic video that almost stands alone. If you wish to add something I will unrank the map temporarily for updates - just get in contact with me. Remember if you are going to storyboard, you should be running the private test version for now. Contact me for this :P.
show more