2. Hard (4.44 stars, 283 notes)
Download: Utada Hikaru - Flavor Of Life -Ballad Version-
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Fixed some before-spinner issues.
I hope its all good now.
Enjoy.
Rolled
Well for a first beatmap its pretty nice. You seem to have a knack for it. The only thing is that the song can be somewhat repetitive, with all of the notes one beat apart. I didn't mind it too much, just saying that some people will feel that way. Now, things that should be fixed:

2:12:13 - The note following that repeating slider is not spaced close enough to the end of the slider. It should be right next to it, just like all of the other full beat notes.
3:44:64 - The beatspacing expands a bit here. The spacing suggests the notes are around 2 beats apart, when they're one. This might be acceptable, but I'd like to see them closer together.
3:46:71 - You should try to avoid notes on top of sliders. They can become very confusing. This is actually where I failed the song at.
4:34:55 and 4:39:60 - That first hitcircle in that stream is a few beats away from the rest of the stream, therefor it should have a much bigger gap.
4:43:71 - Place that 10 closer.
Topic Starter
James
Okay I'll fix it sometime later. Thanks.

I know that it is repetitive, thats why I almost didn't make any patterns at all. :)
And made some "tricks" instead (not to annoy people, of course).
Heck, I failed for like 3 times before full combo-ing the beatmap hahaha..

2:12:13 - The note following that repeating slider is not spaced close enough to the end of the slider. It should be right next to it, just like all of the other full beat notes.
EDIT: Fixed!

3:44:64 - The beatspacing expands a bit here. The spacing suggests the notes are around 2 beats apart, when they're one. This might be acceptable, but I'd like to see them closer together.
- I changed the whole eight notes into one big circle. I don't know if it is still all good though. Maybe you guys can suggest what to put in there if the circle doesn't fit.

3:46:71 - You should try to avoid notes on top of sliders. They can become very confusing. This is actually where I failed the song at.
- I changed the whole eight notes into one big circle. I don't know if it is still all good though. Maybe you guys can suggest what to put in there if the circle doesn't fit.

4:34:55 and 4:39:60 - That first hitcircle in that stream is a few beats away from the rest of the stream, therefor it should have a much bigger gap.
- I kinda don't get this. heh. Or maybe I'm too stupid? haha
Please simplify it for me. I really feel stupid typing this. haha
I don't see/hear anything wrong in that part. Or should I just redo the whole part. :)

4:43:71 - Place that 10 closer.
EDIT: Fixed!
peppy
Ok, I love this song, and haven't played the beatmap yet. I will say one thing though - I would definitely cut 1 verse and chorus out. *Song length nazi*

After playing:

The constant pattern/rhythm is kinda soothing, but I found the break sections way too long. I think it wouldn't be so bad if you add video (I have a really nice live studio recording of this version of the song if you want me to upload it), but at the moment it feels like there should be some more beats and less break.

You migth want to experiment with a second dificulty/version of this that follows a more dynamic rhythm - maybe the singing rather than a constant beat.

Great work for your first effort though.
Topic Starter
James
About the breaks...
I would love to have its playtime longer but...
I read somewhere in the forums that...
The song should not be too long! Aim for 2-3minutes maximum.
So I decided to make those breaks, I don't want to cut the song because the song is too good to be cut/crop XD

And in the end I got like three minutes of playing time.

0:00-0:21 beginning
0:22-0:51 - 29sec
0:52-1:12 - 20sec break
1:13-1:42 - 29sec
1:43-1:53 - 10sec break
1:54-2:12 - 18sec
2:13-2:29 - 16sec break
2:30-3:13 - 43sec
3:14-3:34 - 20sec break
3:35-3:40 - 5sec
3:41-3:44 - 3sec break
3:45-4:44 - 59sec
4:45~ end

So, he total playlength there would be 183 seconds.
I would love to add more beats to those breaks if you like me too add more. :)

You might want to experiment with a second dificulty/version of this that follows a more dynamic rhythm - maybe the singing rather than a constant beat.
I was thinking last night to scrap the easy version and make another difficulty with what you said (before reading this topic). Maybe I would go for it XD

And make the old one less confusing. Since alot of my friends failed at the part that I placed notes on top of sliders XD

And about the adding video thingy, I don't know how to add those stuffs so maybe you can help me? But after I finish the other difficulty though.

Edited my second message to answer some questions. Thanks.
Echo
Here's the cut mp3 file:
http://up.ppy.sh/files/fol.mp3
Topic Starter
James
^
I got your mp3 now, I'll work on a new one whenever I'm not busy. Thanks!
peppy
Topic Starter
James
Reuploaded peppy's .osu file to fix the slight offset problem. Thanks!
Kharl
Timing is still a bit off. Change offset to 1766. I see that you're going to make some changes to the map, so I won't comment on your beat placing at this time.
Topic Starter
James
^
Please comment on it now, cause I can't make the other difficulty if this one is not finished :P
Oh, if you're commenting on the song about being repetitive, we already knew about that XD

I've already changed the offset 1766, but I still can't notice what is what. I'll upload it later if I finish "filling the blanks"
Kharl
Repetition is the only major issue I found with your map. Since it is intentional, I have no further suggestion for your map right now. I'll wait for your new version then.
Topic Starter
James
Ah okay, thanks.
The next version would be alot different.
Kharl
- Slider at 0:31:47 ends awkwardly. You need to shorten it a bit so that it's one beat long.
- The break at the middle of the song is too long. I suggest inserting some beats between 1:53:26 and 2:03:68.

That's it for now. ;)
Topic Starter
James
- Slider at 0:31:47 ends awkwardly. You need to shorten it a bit so that it's one beat long.
Fixed.

- The break at the middle of the song is too long. I suggest inserting some beats between 1:53:26 and 2:03:68.
Added some notes from 1:43:45 to 2:03:68

EDIT: Added Easy Version. Please take a look mods. Thanks.
Topic Starter
James
Added and fixed something in both versions. Thanks.
chan
This is pretty good, but I'm going to scrutinize the beat spacing quite a bit. Also, I think that having really fast sliders and closely distanced beats isn't a good combination, but I'll let it slide for the time being. Maybe in future, try to match slider speed with beat placement. Also, there are bookmarks after the end of the song, don't know if this is important or not, but it looks weird.

Beat spacing (easy):
00:39:05 - 8 should be closer to 7, considering spacing of the rest of the combo (and song)
01:25:47 - 2 should be a bit further from 1, gives the impression that there is only a single beat between this notes (but there are two beats)
01:31:15 - this combo has slightly larger beat spacing than all prior combos, which is probably acceptable
01:55:46 - slider 7 has larger gaps before and after than rest of combo
02:03:98 - inconsistent spacing for combo
02:26:09 - same as 01:25:47
02:38:72 - same as 01:25:47
02:46:93 - inconsistent spacing throughout combo
02:50:72 - 9 is slightly misalligned

Hard seems fine though. Apparently I'm really picky with all of the above times (according to Peppy), so I'm a bit undecided as to what to do. I think you shoulr change all the ones similar to 01:25:47, and the others I'll leave up to you to decide. Starring for now
Topic Starter
James
there are bookmarks after the end of the song... it looks weird
Well I just replaced the old file with the new one and then what happens next is that I can't remove those bookmarks anymore because the song got shorter. So that's it.

00:39:05 - 8 should be closer to 7, considering spacing of the rest of the combo (and song)
Done sir.
01:25:47 - 2 should be a bit further from 1, gives the impression that there is only a single beat between this notes
Finished.
01:31:15 - this combo has slightly larger beat spacing than all prior combos, which is probably acceptable
Fixed.
02:03:98 - inconsistent spacing for combo
Fixed. I think.
02:26:09 and 02:38:72
Its OK now.
02:46:93 - inconsistent spacing throughout combo
Fixed.
02:50:72 - 9 is slightly misaligned
I think 7 is misaligned here. Or maybe not? :P

Fixed some stuffs too.
-Shortened the slider in 1:16:00 by 1/2 beat just to make it sound better. I hope.
-Fixed the beat spacing between 1:20:73 and 1:21:05 because its almost have the same problem as 1:25:47 before.
-Forgot what's the other thing I've fixed. Silly me.
chan
Nice! Easy version plays much better, and slower sliders for the easy version are very appropriate. Nice to see all the spacing issues done up, going to thought bubble this now.
Kharl
*Ranked*
show more