forum

Nobuo Uematsu - J-E-N-O-V-A

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sinistro
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 06 February 2008 at 00:06:25

Artist: Nobuo Uematsu
Title: J-E-N-O-V-A
BPM: 178.26
Filesize: 1828kb
Play Time: 01:15
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2.01 stars, 58 notes)
  2. Insane (4.83 stars, 144 notes)
Download: Nobuo Uematsu - J-E-N-O-V-A
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
UPDATE 2: Offset changed from 581 to 590, blue beats 2 and 3 around the 52 mark switched, Normal version renamed Easy.
- - - - - - - -
UPDATE: More beats added at quarter/eighth notes, patterns moved around slightly, corrected beat placement at 15.72.
- - - - - - - -
Hello, everyone. This is my first beatmap, so you can guess I'm a bit nervous...

This is a short melody, but its pace is pretty frantic, so I put a break roughly at the middle. I spliced the original audio file so that the melody is played only once before it fades out.

I tried to have some variation on the beat patterns, but I wonder if that makes the map "random". There are a few (slight) deviations from beat spacing in points where I think the following beats would otherwise be placed in awkward places.

Of course, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for playing, and I hope you enjoy this beatmap!
awp
Hahahahahahahahaha

I was just saying on IRC last night that I was surprised nobody's done JENOVA or One Winged Angel yet.

This is too perfect. I'll have to check this out once I start neglecting the homework I'm about to start.
hunnykilla
Just talking about one winged angel and Jenova last night. Anyways, not bad for your first beatmap. Insane should be hard though. Nice job on adding sound.
Echo
Nice maps :D

Just one thing: at 15.72 in Hard, the placing of the red 4 is misleading. It makes it seem like the beat is 12-3-45- 6 when it's really 12-34-5-6.
awp
You've got a good understanding of spacing and timing right off the bat, and the second half of insane (which should really be named Hard as it's dreadfully easy) is quite clever. Cute use of sliders. However, some of the timings are a little weird considering it's an insane map, such as the trumpet triplets - you' think there'd be more notes on those sections, or at least it'd be easier to identify which notes you're supposed to beat to.

The DNA-strand sliders on normal were also quite clever.

I'm quite satisfied with how Normal turned out, however Insane feels as if it could be both more intuitive (just a tiny bit) and more immersive. The latter effect really has no algorithm to it and is only something you'll really grasp with experience, I think.

When I was going through it I was thinking "I'm playing a beatmap timed to JENOVA" rather than "I'm playing a JENOVA beatmap". Unless you share the same train of thought I do that probably isn't going to help you much, but basically what you're aiming for is a sense of fusion between the song and beatmap. Try to develop patterns that will remind people of that specific song/beatmap. Using sound effects effectively, as well as quarter/eighth notes might help achieve this.

Still, it's quite good.
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Thanks a lot for the comments, everyone! :) I've updated the harder version (since Normal seems to be ok) and tried to make it a bit harder, without actually placing a beat at each metronome tick - I think my trying to avoid this was why "Insane" was not so difficult at first.

I think I understand what awp means about the difference between a beatmap timed to a song and a beatmap of a song (i.e an intuitive and immersive one), but like awp said, I'm not exactly sure how one goes about making one. I'd appreciate any insight on whether this updated version hits closer to mark.
Echo
I never noticed this before, but the offset seems slightly too early. Try 590 and see what you think. Don't forget to shift everything after you change the offset!

The only thing I disagree with now are the two sets of sliders/beats from 49-52s. The green 2 is on the inside, but the blue 2 is on the outside, which creates confusion to the player. I would swap the blue 2 and 3 around, which makes the pattern a lot more logical.
Topic Starter
Sinistro
You know, while making the map I saw that the second repetition of the song (at 1:15:98) began a little sooner thn the next whole note (white line). I only fiddled with the bpm, though, and when this got me nowhere I attributed it to a slight mistake I might have made while splicing the audio file. The new offset, however, works wonders - thanks!

As far as the blue beats at sec 51 are concerned, I must confess I forgot about beat 2 because I had put it at the slider's end :roll: .

I have also renamed the Normal version Easy, since I saw that is how the Pending Beatmaps board labels it. Could anyone tell me what decides this labeling? I thought it was a map's star rating (0-1.25 Easy, 1.26-2.50 Normal, 2.51-3.75 Hard, 3.76-5.00 Insane), but it appears this isn't the case.
Keegan_old
It's more rated by the actual difficulty of the map, not the stars ;x
I'll be testing these maps when I wake up!
Echo
I think it's 4.5+ = Insane, 3.5-4.5 = Hard, etc. but I'm not entirely sure.

Personally, the Normal map should stay as Normal.

You get ed.
Kharl
Good job for your first beatmap. Beat spacing in Insane level is a bit inconsistent and confuse a spacing-nazi (me) a little. But since the level is marked as "Insane", I'll disregard it for the sake of challenge.

I see no any other reasons why this map shouldn't be ranked, so....

*ranked*
awp

Kharl wrote:

I see no any other reasons why this map shouldn't be ranked, so...
Does the word "Reunion" mean anything to you?

We're all going to die.
James
I can't finish insane, just like that Shin Chan Song and Kazamachi Jet :(
xCreep79
YAY omg. *gleegasm* :D i luff this song
Zatoichi

xCreep79 wrote:

YAY omg. *gleegasm* :D i luff this song
If you love this song, then you're gonna love my nuts.