forum

supercell - My Dearest

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
browiec
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on środa, 4 października 2023 at 20:36:32

Artist: supercell
Title: My Dearest
Source: ギルティクラウン
Tags: zigaexperientia koeda opening ryo full version guilty crown Inori Yuzuriha marathon japanese rock j-rock jrock pop j-pop jpop anime
BPM: 169
Filesize: 9793kb
Play Time: 05:32
Difficulties Available:
  1. The Final Message (5,71 stars, 1119 notes)
Download: supercell - My Dearest
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This map is two things.

Firstly, it's a small tribute to Monstrata and Yukiyo, and specifically their maps of this song, hence the hexgrid structure bits.

Secondly and more importantly, it's a map that made me think about mapping, and how messed up it's been for quite some time.

It made me realize how tired I am of the current mapping scene, people believing they know me and my intentions better than I do myself, people trashtalking me behind my back (and directly too + this includes the game's staff such as NAT and BN members) and spreading false informations about me just because of how I map, people looking at what I make solely through the prism of my username, and much more. The fact these kinds of behavior are normalized in the community is just disgusting to me.

This map was created using a mapping style generally considered bad in the mapping community. For some time already I've been trying out a different style, seen for example in my mapset of NAME. I wouldn't consider it any better than my usual, if anything it is different. Though suddenly after I started using this style more I received multiple messages saying things along the lines of "my friends told me you actually learned to map" or "now your maps are better". Why is that style better? I asked around and the answer I generally got was 'it feels better'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

During the mapping process of this map (My Dearest) I started thinking that I don't feel like I'm doing something I really like or want to do, and realized I changed the style not only for convenience reasons (it was faster to map using that style for me), but also to prove a nonsensical, useless point and try gaining respect(?) of other, 'better' mappers. Why did I even try? I don't even know. Perhaps it was me being scared after receiving a BN warning for low map quality, perhaps it was me becoming hypocritical and mapping to appeal to other mappers rather than doing what I truly like. Therefore, after mapping around 90 seconds using the 'new' style, I scrapped the attempt and remapped everything using my usual style.

I'm also really tired of modern mapping scene treating anything with comfortable jump-focused gameplay as bad by default. The fact it's automatically treated as 'farm mapping' despite pretty much all of the maps of the type having nothing to do with and not aiming to exploit pp on purpose (aim pp has been basically fixed at this point). The fact that mappers consider it 'boring' and 'bad' despite it being the most popular and widely enjoyed map type among the playerbase. The fact that barely anyone maps it well enough so I can help the mapper and nominate their map. The fact that even if I do, I'm risking punishment as a BN because I nominated something 'bad'. The fact such punishment comes from not abiding to enforced subjective opinions rather than quality standards.

I've had countless mappers (and BNs) tell me things such as 'I'd think you're an absolute idiot judging by how you map if I didn't know you'. Countless people hate me for just doing what I like the most so both I and other players can enjoy the game as much as possible. I'm tired of all of that.

I don't really know what I'm trying to get through by writing this. I just want others to think about whether bullying and targeting others just because they map something you dislike is warranted.

If you have read all of the text above, thank you. If you're a mapper and you either agree or disagree with my statement, I'd love to talk about the matter and hear your opinion.

Map by browiec

Hitsounding by browiec

Timing by Smoke

Special thanks to Len for giving this map his 100th and final nomination, making it his own Final Message as a nominator.

Background