forum

What have you done lately to better yourself?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN
For those of you that know me you may understand from my streams or general talking that I have an anger issue. The thing is I tend to overthink things due to some past events that lead to anger, jealousy and just a general running mind. This has caused many negative impacts on my life, but recent negative events have really caused me to think about myself as a person and how I could better myself to really show those who I have pushed away that I can change and be who I need to be. I invite anyone who has admit their faults recently to post how you as a person have done something to better yourself.

For myself:

I quit my job and started pushing toward a career that I enjoy which has given me so much relief.
I am going to set up a doctors appointment to find out how I may combat my families long line of depression, overthinking and anger.
I have made a push to generally be a more positive individual.
I do not allow myself to give up anymore, the people and things most worth it in life are those who are not easy to achieve.

If you have not made a recent change I hope this may give you the encouragement to really push yourself in a way where you may better yourself and live an even happier life.

As a new step as well. If anyone is too nervous to post publicly you are more than welcome to PM me. I would be glad to give you some advice or just a person to talk to if it would help!

Also, please don't troll this thread.
Kayla
*hug* <3

Im seeking help for my physical ailments.. it may not be getting me anywhere but I'm seeking it.
Magnolia

JAKACHAN wrote:

For those of you that know me you may understand from my streams or general talking that I have an anger issue. The thing is I tend to overthink things due to some past events that lead to anger, jealousy and just a general running mind. This has caused many negative impacts on my life, but recent negative events have really caused me to think about myself as a person and how I could better myself to really show those who I have pushed away that I can change and be who I need to be. I invite anyone who has admit their faults recently to post how you as a person have done something to better yourself.

For myself:

I quit my job and started pushing toward a career that I enjoy which has given me so much relief.
I am going to set up a doctors appointment to find out how I may combat my families long line of depression, overthinking and anger.
I have made a push to generally be a more positive individual.
I do not allow myself to give up anymore, the people and things most worth it in life are those who are not easy to achieve.

If you have not made a recent change I hope this may give you the encouragement to really push yourself in a way where you may better yourself and live an even happier life.

Great to hear buddy ^.^, been fixing alot, made alot of good friends recently, keep up the good work! GOGO FIGHT!
geckogates
my issue is doing things outside of home by myself, i guess that's what happens when you play on a computer for 10 years.

in late 2012 i started taking college classes and it has really helped me to get out and meet people, even driving and getting gas for the car was a big deal for me at first lol but i feel much more comfortable doing stuff outside of home now :) this next semester i will be signed up to be available for work in the computer department, cant wait to meet people with the same interests as me :D
haxsu
Thanks John for sharing your story. It is always nice to hear someone bettering oneself.

As for me, I decided to completely stop drinking soda back 6 months ago. This is not really considered a recent change however, I did not drink a sip of it since then. This was a huge accomplishment for me seeing that I used to drink up to 3-4 cans of it a day. As a result, I ended up losing about 12 pounds naturally.

Another thing I did was limit myself from this game by a huge load. I went from playing this game 4-5 times a week (3-4 hours a session) to playing this game like 1-2 times a week (1-2 hours per session) This REALLY changed my productivity on real life situations and even earned me a better job career. This was actually around 3 months ago.

PS: I also have anger issues in real life but I have learned overtime how to better control it. I am still currently working on it though. There are still some things that REALLY turns me off and I sometimes can not control myself. It's an ongoing process I suppose!
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

RIP wrote:

Thanks John for sharing your story. It is always nice to hear someone bettering oneself.

As for me, I decided to completely stop drinking soda back 6 months ago. This is not really considered a recent change however, I did not drink a sip of it since then. This was a huge accomplishment for me seeing that I used to drink up to 3-4 cans of it a day. As a result, I ended up losing about 12 pounds naturally.

Another thing I did was limit myself from this game by a huge load. I went from playing this game 4-5 times a week (3-4 hours a session) to playing this game like 1-2 times a week (1-2 hours per session) This REALLY changed my productivity on real life situations and even earned me a better job career. This was actually around 3 months ago.

PS: I also have anger issues in real life but I have learned overtime how to better control it. I am still currently working on it though. There are still some things that REALLY turns me off and I sometimes can not control myself. It's an ongoing process I suppose!

I'm really glad to hear that my friend, I hope you continue to make progress it sounds like you are much happier!
B1rd
hmm...
well, when I was younger I was a wretch who barely went to school and just played computer games all day. but since then I have moved to a unit in town by myself and am attending college full time, I even go outside and exercise sometimes (at night of course). so I've been doing a few things to better myself, mainly because I don't want to end up a Hik who is a parasite to society.

I don't really think I have any bad character traits, however I am really annoyed at myself because of general lack of intelligence/skills/motivation/social skills. I sort of feel like I lost out on the genetic jackpot, but at least I am of a disposition that I don't care to much and can be happy anyway. I don't get depressed as long as I have a house and a computer to entertain myself.

I think my biggest problem is I hate going outside and I find social interactions quite taxing.
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

B1rd wrote:

hmm...
well, when I was younger I was a wretch who barely went to school and just played computer games all day. but since then I have moved to a unit in town by myself and am attending college full time, I even go outside and exercise sometimes (at night of course). so I've been doing a few things to better myself, mainly because I don't want to end up a Hik who is a parasite to society.

I don't really think I have any bad character traits, however I am really annoyed at myself because of general lack of intelligence/skills/motivation/social skills. I sort of feel like I lost out on the genetic jackpot, but at least I am of a disposition that I don't care to much and can be happy anyway. I don't get depressed as long as I have a house and a computer to entertain myself.

I think my biggest problem is I hate going outside and I find social interactions quite taxing.
It takes a lot to honestly admit that and I think you are on the right track. I hope you continue to move forward, just set goals for yourself and when you reach them it makes you feel a lot better to the point where further goals don't seem so far.
Skriggniichan
I have started exercising.
I quit school since all it did was make me miserable and depressed.
Decided to join the Navy and work my way as an SECF and potentially go into the SEALs program a few years from now.

Life has been a hell of a ride recently and it's really looking up from here.
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

Skriggniichan wrote:

I have started exercising.
I quit school since all it did was make me miserable and depressed.
Decided to join the Navy and work my way as an SECF and potentially go into the SEALs program a few years from now.

Life has been a hell of a ride recently and it's really looking up from here.
Quitting school can be a tough decision, but some people just need to take a different route if it honestly isn't for them. It seems like you are happy with your decision however and I hope the best for you in the coming future. Stay safe out there my friend. I look up to your determination and the time you will spend serving your country.
Yarissa
This isn't so much something I have done to improve myself, but rather things I have realized about myself.

I have always been a lazy person-- I'm sure a lot of us here can relate. At the end of the day all I'm usually concerned about is whether I had fun or whether I was able to work towards whatever silly and insignificant goals I have for myself. My big problem is that I can't motivate myself to do things I am not interested in. The only incentives I have is that I'll starve or die if I don't work that one shitty job (or career even; I've failed to find any sort of work that truly captivates me). After a lot of introspection regarding this I've come to the conclusion that playing games so much is kinda negatively impacting my life. I'm so absorbed in video games that I can rarely find anything that motivates me or amuses me more than them. I've faced the fact and just started doing what I can to get my life in order, like accepting that additional job offer and working to be less of a leech on society and more of a productive working citizen. I should be able to one day find reward in my work. That is what I strive for. I want my video game achievements to be less satisfying than that fulfilling day at work eventually.

Anyways, thanks for reading, and I appreciate your ability to post such a thread. It's kinda brave to admit your faults and it's actually really nice of you to help others learn from your flaws.
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

Kaoru wrote:

This isn't so much something I have done to improve myself, but rather things I have realized about myself.

I have always been a lazy person-- I'm sure a lot of us here can relate. At the end of the day all I'm usually concerned about is whether I had fun or whether I was able to work towards whatever silly and insignificant goals I have for myself. My big problem is that I can't motivate myself to do things I am not interested in. The only incentives I have is that I'll starve or die if I don't work that one shitty job (or career even; I've failed to find any sort of work that truly captivates me). After a lot of introspection regarding this I've come to the conclusion that playing games so much is kinda negatively impacting my life. I'm so absorbed in video games that I can rarely find anything that motivates me or amuses me more than them. I've faced the fact and just started doing what I can to get my life in order, like accepting that additional job offer and working to be less of a leech on society and more of a productive working citizen. I should be able to one day find reward in my work. That is what I strive for. I want my video game achievements to be less satisfying than that fulfilling day at work eventually.

Anyways, thanks for reading, and I appreciate your ability to post such a thread. It's kinda brave to admit your faults and it's actually really nice of you to help others learn from your flaws.
I agree, this was my goal with the thread and the reason why I want it to spread. People feel like change is a bad thing and always go along with "Just be yourself" but honestly there are always things you can do to better yourself. I don't disagree that being yourself is a good thing, but most people feel much better with themselves and are much more active and positive when they feel like they have improved something.

I just want people to understand that admitting your faults and wanting to make changes is not a bad thing. In fact it's something that will motivate you to live the best life you can. After all, we only have so much time on this planet why not make it the best we can?
Kyonko Hizara
Jaka you're my inspiration and my motivation to want to better myself now
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Jaka you're my inspiration and my motivation to want to better myself now
I hope you can really move forward with it! I believe in you =w=
dkun

JAKACHAN wrote:

Very stern warning on this.
Trauter
When i was kid something bad happen to my legs. ( sorry i don't want to talk about it )
From start of the holidays i have started training given to me by my doctor.
Before the holidays i was only laying in my bed and sleeping.
From now i need to play football 2x more and sometimes play basketball.
After that i need to run around 10 km.
My doctor says that if i be training like this for 2 months my legs will came back to normal.
After hearing that words i'm trying to fight even more because this will open road to playing again in my club ^^
Topic Starter
JAKACHAN

Trauter wrote:

When i was kid something bad happen to my legs. ( sorry i don't want to talk about it )
From start of the holidays i have started training given to me by my doctor.
Before the holidays i was only laying in my bed and sleeping.
From now i need to play football 2x more and sometimes play basketball.
After that i need to run around 10 km.
My doctor says that if i be training like this for 2 months my legs will came back to normal.
After hearing that words i'm trying to fight even more because this will open road to playing again in my club ^^
I wish you the best of luck with your rehabilitation. I hope to see a future update from you regarding your progress! Keep fighting and I'm sure you will make it.
Raose
signing up for zumba i guess

and planning to join a dance team in fall to make more friends =w=
Agnes
I'm late on posting when I wanted to, but I may as well do so. Late is better than never, I guess.

Throughout these couple of years, a lot of things went down. Me being unable to leave the house more often, not having many friends outside of the internet, and... just not having a huge reason to step outside in general, to the point where if I went outside during the summer, I'd end up feeling like I have an instant fever in seconds because I would stay mainly stationed in my house for months.

However... One particular event took place in terms of wanting to change myself: the visit of Killha (some people, mainly the Mumble crew, will know of my history with him). This guy spent hundreds of dollars to fly from New York out of his two jobs that he juggled just to meet my family and finally meet me in person during my most important milestone in life so far: graduation. It was a pleasant visit, but... also a slap to the face that I could do so much more to better myself. As of late, I've been taking on a lot of goals.

It all lead to some months back, around Winter of 2013. Began taking very early college classes, and been maintaining a 4.0 for my grade so far (hoping to keep it that way, too!). After Killha's visit, I've also been taking time to leave the house more to at least spend time with family, or just go to the mall with my sister and her friends (and sometimes, the boyfriend). I also been looking at myself from a physical standpoint. Been taking a lot more time going to small things like the spa, or to a hair dresser, just to give myself time to look... nicer. For myself. And to think, I haven't really even given a damn about these things until now.

It's funny how some peculiar events make you want to give your life a full 180 into a more positive direction, yeah?

Thanks for making this thread, Jaka.

EDIT: To give the tl;dr:
1.) I decided to leave the house more.
2.) I began to do small things to improve my general physical appearance.
3.) I began to spend time with family more and make friends in the process.
4.) I've been making a huge effort to keep a highly positive GPA for college.
Jordan
Signing up for a gym membership and trying to study much more than I used to since I've always been a lazy ass!
show more