forum

Sonata Arctica - Black Sheep [Hard]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Anyone ever heard of Sonata Arctica? Yes? No?

If you haven't, consider this an introduction to them. Sonata Arctica is a Finnish power metal band, and I picked one of my favorite songs of theirs, Black Sheep, to make a beatmap out of. I personally think I made a good choice, seeing how the beatmap turned out. But that's just me... why don't you guys give it a shot? :)

Advance warning: The fourth break is long, due to a guitar solo. I couldn't figure out how to map most of it, so it's gonna be a kinda long break. Hope you have 40 seconds to spare.

If anyone could get me some background images or something for this song, that'd be great. :D

http://osu.ppy.sh/d/63

Okay, I'm using the new timings. NOW will you heart it? :P
eyup
Haven't heard of the band myself, but I remember that Finnish rock band who won Eurovision a little while ago!

Not sure whether it's your sound card playing up again, or whether the song itself has something to do with it, but the timing seems off. Also you don't seem to have used beat snapping - or is that also sound card offset related?

The reason why I say the song may have something to do with it is because this is actually a very tricky song to map - it jumps between 3/4 (verses) and 4/4 (chorus) timings. At present there doesn't seem to be any way to switch the Edit Mode timing ticker to 3/4 time (hmmm Feature Request :D) so the ticks get a bit confusing after a while. I do think the timing is off though.

Aside from those issues, you've made another really nice map! Note/Slider/Spinner ratio is perfect and it is passable but challenging. The slider velocity seems to be off the scale! :D

I'll have a closer look at the timing and see if I can work something out.

eyupz
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
I'unno, it just might be that my computer likes to seize up a bit sometimes when I run osu!... mainly because it's a slow as hell laptop and it sucks. That miiight be causing the problems.

If you're going to fix this up, remember that the hits are supposed to follow the lyrics (except for the part during the guitar solo, but you know that.) 'K? Thanks. :)
eyup
Did you have beat snapping on when you were making the map?
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Yes, to quarter-beats of 200 BPM.

Edit: I just noticed that the first section seems a little off. Maybe I should poke at it a bit?
eyup
Yeah by all means try messing around with it yourself and see how you go. I think the beat-snapping is OK now, but the timing is slightly off. Strange because 200BPM seems like a pretty nice number to put it at! I'll try figure out the BPM/offset for you while you fix up the beginning =)
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Re-uploaded. I fixed the beginning, as well as some oddness in the second half of the chorus.
eyup
This is what I came up with - timing turned out to be 199.72 BPM o.0 Have Sonata Arctica got a superstition against the number 200 or something? :P

Download: Sonata Arctica - Black Sheep (ZZT the Fifth) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Re-uploaded! ...again!
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Sorry for the doublepost and bump, but, uh... when is this gonna get the heart? :P
Extor
Nice beatmap you made. But eyup's version is the one that has good timings.

It was a bit hard for me because I didn't know the song, but I made it to the finish in one try. Very good song too, by the way.
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Fair enough. I'll update the osz with eyup's timings... I was trying to follow the lyrics, but I guess his version flows better.
Extor
Ok, this song is now official. =D
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Uh, guys? I tried redownloading my Black Sheep beatmap from the site to see if it would redownload.

...It's saying it's modified or not officially ranked. What?
peppy
Thanks for pointing this out - should be fixed now.