forum

All American Rejects - Swing Swing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pong_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 at 9:19:36 PM

Artist: All American Rejects
Title: Swing Swing
BPM: 128
Filesize: 4286kb
Play Time: 03:22
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1 stars, 137 notes)
  2. Normal (3.02 stars, 248 notes)
  3. Hard (4.4 stars, 349 notes)
Download: All American Rejects - Swing Swing
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is a fun song. It's done, ready to play. I think I have nearly everything on beat. I don't know if I should call this Normal or Hard, but I think I made it easy enough to be called Normal.
Update: Fixed small errors. Made easy. Made hard. Added unique background images for each.
Update 2: Some other errors fixed. I really need people to check my hard mode to see if beats are right and such.
Bumped for Update 2
Update 3: Overall: Changed Offset to 60 since it did feel better.
Fixed some spacing errors in hard mode. I did fix some other things with spacing to try out new patterns since some of the old patterns were hard to work with because of spacing issues.
Easy mode has basic spacing errors fixed likewise.
Update 4: Overall Timing Fixed. Had timing that was off after I resnaped so I went back through the songs and retimed them as they were. They all sound perfect now to me.
Update 5: Fixed other timing issues and changed Offset to 294. Added whistles and finish on hard mode. I'd like feedback on placement of the whistles since that's not my strong point.
LuigiHann
I like this song and I like the map. I don't mind your quirky spacing in patterns that are clear and followable, but there are a couple moments that feel very wrong:

00:56:49 (4) - This needs to be much closer to the 1 that follows it.

A similar thing happens with the 3 and 4 around 1:55:79.

00:39:15 (1,2,3) - I'm not sure if this is a placement error or a spacing error, but they don't match up.

Some other notes:

01:57:90 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Not a complaint, I just really like this pattern. :)

02:54:15 (3) - Maybe add a beat at 2:53:91, so the stream starts with the "a" in "away"

03:18:52 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - I really like the way this pattern sounds.

03:22:27 (1,2) - Might want to consider replacing these with a spinner just to wind the song down at the end, but it's fine.

Overall, I really like it. Not sure if this is normal or hard, either. I think all of the wide spacing is acceptable for normal (aside from the few issues I posted above), but you might want to add an Easy difficulty, with more predictable spacing.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
Updated. I'll be adding easy and hard mode also. I've decided I can make this harder then what I did for normal.
Thanks LuigiHann for your advice! Yeah that one at 00:39:15 was off by a 1/6.
LuigiHann
I want to bubble this, but some things keep jumping out at me. If these are errors, fix them, and if they're intentional, then you can probably convince me to overlook them. Also, I'm citing examples, because some of these could apply to multiple instances.

00:15:32 (1) - Move to 00:15:24 so it snaps to the line. All difficulties.

Hard: (May also be present on normal)

00:25:08 (2,3) - These should be timed the same way as 00:23:21 (2,3) and 00:26:96 (2,3). It's weird to have them different.

00:30:24 (1,2,3) - (And similar) This is a tough call, and you could probably leave them as is, but I think the 3 should be moved a bit further from the 2, because right now it looks like it's closer to the 2 than the 1 is. This also happens in a couple other spots, so try to fix them all up.

00:52:97 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Spacing here is pretty sketchy. 3 should be closer and 6 should be further.

01:48:05 (3,4) - This could be a slider, or 3 notes, or something. But right now the 4 isn't snapped to anything on the timeline?

Also, in Hard mode at least, I think the parts where the combo is just on the full beats (like the pyramid at 03:03:52) you might want to consider adding some more "syncopated" beats like you do around 3:18. You could probably get away with that without even changing the spacing, since the rhythm is so definite.

Starred. While you fix these (or defend them) I'll try to get some other mods to look at it, so it's not just me.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Can you try doing a full resubmission? Normal mode forever tells me to update to newest version, even when I re-downloaded. Hard mode is great now btw.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
I tried resubmitting while in the normal difficulty so the newest normal version should be up now.
LuigiHann
Some mods may disapprove of the spacing, but I think it's intuitive and fun, so bubbled.
Saturos
Offset 60 feels much better.

Some of the spacing is all right, but others are unacceptable.

Easy:

02:52:09 (1,2) - These two don't really go to anything. My suggestion: 3 sliders. One at 2:52:09-2:52:56, 2:53:02-2:53:49, and a longer one 2:53:96-2:55:60.
03:16:70 (4) - This one isn't as necessary, but I'd like to see it closer to the 3 & 5.

Hard:

00:23:73 (4) - Move slightly closer to 3, to keep it more in tune with the other similar patterns.
00:56:78 (1,2,3) - Either move 3 farther away from 1 and 2, or move 1 and 2 closer to the combo preceding it.
01:28:90 (4) - Just looks awkward. Move closer to the 3.
01:55:85 (3) - My biggest spacing complaint. If you're keen on keeping the diamond shape pattern, move this to the lower left of 4, in my opinion. If you don't agree with that, at least place it with similar spacing to it.
02:18:59 (1,15) - Spacing here seems to vary through the pattern. Clean it up some.

Dropping to star for now.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
Updated. Worked with Hard and Easy, and left normal alone.
Thanks for you advice Saturos; I'm a little bit wild on my spacing right now so I'll work on it.
Saturos
Looking much better. ;x

However, you forgot to resnap/recalc. Timing -> Resnap All Notes. You will need to adjust the new slider additions in easy again once you do this, also.

Also, for some reason Hard did not upload properly. It's missing in the .osz, but it updated in osu fine. Try full submission and see if that works.
Topic Starter
Pong_old

Saturos wrote:

Looking much better. ;x

However, you forgot to resnap/recalc. Timing -> Resnap All Notes. You will need to adjust the new slider additions in easy again once you do this, also.

Also, for some reason Hard did not upload properly. It's missing in the .osz, but it updated in osu fine. Try full submission and see if that works.
Oh crap, I got excited. Sorry, I need to go back and resnap stuff. I knew I forgot something. I'm quite sure by what you mean by recalc. I did go through Timing -> Resnap All Notes on all three difficulties but I don't know what else there to do if I am supposed to.
And hard should be updated now. I've been using full submission, but I've been having very strange issues with uploading I don't know why.
Saturos
Ehhh, you resnapped all right. But it looks like you snapped it with a 1/6 snap divisor, instead of 1/4. You'll need to resnap again at 1/4. Once you do, select all and move everything back 1/4. Then double check everything to make sure it sounds correct.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
I resnaped again with a 1/4 snap divisor and all of my beats were still behind the spot I put them in the first place. I don't know why, but I went through and nudged them all forward and then the timing sounded perfect to me.
I think I also fixed my uploading problem so there should be no issues there.
Topic Starter
Pong_old
I'm bumping this since it's finished and needs a final check.
Saturos
Sorry for the delay.

First off, and this is mainly cosmetic and won't matter for timing at all, it just bothers me: Timing panel -> uncheck 'Move already placed notes' -> Offset 294. That way, everything will line up with the full beat (white lines) rather than the half beats (red lines).

Now then, Easy:

00:28:41 (1) - Ends a 1/4 beat early.
01:43:88 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - Not really sure what these are going to. The first two seem like to the vocals, the second two I couldn't figure out at all, and the third two sounded like to the guitar. May want to look into this.

Hard:

00:24:66 (1) - Have this end at 24:90.
01:18:10 (1) - Same ending point, but have it start at 1:18:57, instead.
01:31:70 (1) - Shorten it 1/4.

Once these are done, it's ready to finally be rebubbled. ;x
xerxes_oli
i love this song great job!
Topic Starter
Pong_old
Fixed those issues: All of them were unintentional and me being lazy :O
So the new version is up, I updated all versions with the offset 294.
Saturos
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
While I was playing through again to make sure everything is fine, I noticed that you didn't use any whistle or finish effects. :( You should really throw some in, I'm sure there are plenty of places in this song where they'll sound fine. :|
show more