forum

[confirmed] Ranking Charts aren't calculating score correctly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red
while I was looking at the places for this month's monthly ranking chart I noticed that the current leading score seemed a little high as well as my own. I went and calculated all my top scores that I made on each mapset and came out to 108,888,428 but on the chart leaderboard I have 153,553,378. Even then 2 of the scores are my highest from 2 months ago so those scores didn't even count for this chart. So the actual number for my real total ranked score should be < 100,000,000. Unless I'm mistaken in how the charts calculate total ranked score there seems to be some scores that are duplicating or adding more than they should when a new score is made. My guess is that when a better score is made, the total for that score gets added instead of adding the subtracted difference from the previous score. Since I retried a lot of times to get better scores, it would explain why my total seems too large. Also just so I made sure it wasn't just calculating every score on each mapset I came out to 158,704,034 for my total ranked score on everything within the duration of the chart.

edit: just calculated the highest score made on each mapset and the total for all the highest #1 scores comes out to 224,732,362 and the #1 on the charts has 239,022,179 so something has to be getting calculated wrong here
ClawViper
In Rainbow Girl, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 12,756,089 (#1 on Insane)
In Lick Me, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 16,642,557 (#1 on Insane)
In Dear Brave, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 48,785,788 (#1 on Special)
In can you understand me?, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 36,002,774 (#1 on huh?)
In Kotonoha Clinic, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 28,072,510 (#1 on Moroi)
In Lucky Monster, the highest score recorded on the mapset is 32,668995 (#1 on Insane)

The total of all these scores = 174,928,713.

Now, take a look at the first two players. They have 197,977304 and 189,228,522 ranked score respectively. This means they are over the limit possible for ranked score, and they aren't even the #1 place in any of the maps listed above.

The third player is only seen in the top 50 of a few maps that aren't even the highest difficulty (Except Lick Me & Lucky Monster), and judging from his profile it is impossible for him to obtain a score so near the ceiling.

Unless I have a wrong understanding on how ranked scores work, the chart is bugged.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: Screenshot of the Ranking Charts

osu! version: 20160525.2 (latest)
VeilStar
Pinning this to have a look at it later today. Sounds like it's probably an issue anyway.
Bara-
I knew the same is happening with mania, but maybe it uses some sort of scaling according to the actual difficulty
Otherwise people could just keep spamming the easy diff to get 1.000.000 points, eventually getting 6.000.000 giving them the absolute maximum score

Maybe something similar applies to the other modes as well
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red
Alright I think I'm on to something here.

I did some testing on this map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/896309 and here are the results http://imgur.com/a/GKCeb

What is happening is if you have just one low score on a mapset you can keep making better ones and it will add the difference of each. this part is working as intended, but the problem is that I already had a 24.8 million score subbmitted for this mapset 2-3 days ago so it shouldn't have added anything in the first place. You can see the days that I subbmitted the scores shown and they are within the duration of the Chart and only the 24.8m score should count since it is the highest in the set. The reason some are in local rankings are because on those maps I have higher scores from over a month ago when the map was first ranked and they were played on my laptop.
OnosakiHito
I tried to replicate the issue but didn't came to the same result. Neither osu! nor Taiko's lowest scores added additional points to my highest score. Yet, there are some scores from other people which look wrong. It looks to be random at the moment. Let's see if someone has to add something.
ClawViper

OnosakiHito wrote:

I tried to replicate the issue but didn't came to the same result. Neither osu! nor Taiko's lowest scores added additional points to my highest score. Yet, there are some scores from other people which look wrong. It looks to be random at the moment. Let's see if someone has to add something.
Did you try improving your lowest score? I think what Ted is saying is that having the improvement of the low scores on lower difficulties added to the ranked score despite already having a much higher score on the hardest difficulty.

Also, it is pretty worrying how long this bug has been going on, because it means that many people who didn't deserve the supporter tag has obtained it, without giving a fair chance to others to catch up. We can't rectify past mistakes though, so hopefully this problem can be solved asap so that this month's chart isn't affected.
Vencam
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and apologize if it isn't, but I got a ranking problem that may be related to this. I noticed my rank is (at the moment I'm writing this) 105,677 in osu!standard. I know for a fact I never went above 125k, as I already had my hard time getting through the 130k pack. The graph just suddenly spikes to nearly 100k for... no reason to me. Any help with that?
Lacrimosa

Vencam wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and apologize if it isn't, but I got a ranking problem that may be related to this. I noticed my rank is (at the moment I'm writing this) 105,677 in osu!standard. I know for a fact I never went above 125k, as I already had my hard time getting through the 130k pack. The graph just suddenly spikes to nearly 100k for... no reason to me. Any help with that?
That's completely different with this thread's issue but here is the answer to your question. t/459788
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red
Just a theory, but I remember going though all of the maps in the chart in multiplayer. Could it take different kinds submissions depending on if you submit a score in multiplayer? That might explain how my highest score got overwriten as it thinks I haven't played the chart yet since it only has a multiplayer submission(in theory). I vaguely remember getting my highest score on that map I did testing on during a multiplayer session
ClawViper
Is it possible to manually calculate the ranked score for the players on the leaderboard pending the bug fix?
OnosakiHito
I will see what to do for the current charts.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Is this still an issue?
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Is this still an issue?
yes the current charts are still showing wrong ranked score totals

here are all the scores Haganenno has on all the mapsets.

Ranking charts are supposed to only add the highest score from each mapset, which totals to 6 possible scores 1 for each set.
From the charts current leader, Haganenno, ranked score says 506,579,764
Total ranked score based on highest submitted score on each mapset: 385,980,850
Total ranked score based on highest submitted score that shows visible information of the dates during chart durration: 331,633,004
Total score based on all the submitted scores on maps in each mapset: 549,941,573
Total score based on all the submitted scores on maps in each mapset durring the durration of the chart: 408,758,845
If we assume that Haganenno submitted a score that was just under his 101,000,000 perfect free score durring the chart dates, then the total ranked score submitted would be close to 506,579754, which means that charts are still adding scores they aren't suppose to in some cases

here's an example of it working correctly for this chart in my case.
highest score in the mapset
no submitted plays on this difficulty yet
proof of submission
no score added because it wasn't better than my highest score on the mapset
OnosakiHito
Yes, this is still an issue and may stay for some time as this might need some ,,deeper investigation". The issue got noted, tho.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Instead of bumping every 2 months to keep it from archiving I guess I'll mark this thread confirmed for the time being.
Endaris
Okay. Deeper investigation inc.
At the start of this experiment I had 44,206,424 points from https://osu.ppy.sh/b/935402 in the halloween charts.

Case 1
Then I submitted a score with 6,867,742 points on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/535131 which I already had a better score on before the charts were released.

The charts proceed to show me as having 51,074,166 points which is correct.

Then I submitted an improved score on the iojjj map with 16,142,402 points (not surpassing my pre-charts score) which pushed me to 67,216,568 points. The new score got FULLY added on top of my previous score here.

Note that I did not surpass my actual global highscore on the map.

Case 2
The counterexperiment on a map which I did not have a score on before: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1038400

First play had 2,932,524 points and pushed me to 70,149,092 points.

The second had 12,907,442 points and pushed me to 80,124,010 which is correct (ignoring the error on iojjj).

Case 3
Another experiment on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/515359 which I also had a previous score (FC) on

First play had 1,452,384 points and pushed me to 81,576,394 which is correct (ignoring the error on iojjj).

Second play (with HD, surpassing my old score) had 8,565,422 points and pushed me to 90,141,816 which is wrong because once again the full score was added on top.
So this seems to be a reproducable behaviour

The difference of my total score and my ranked score is exactly the first play I did on Fright March:
93,074,340 - 90,141,816 = 2,932,524

Case 4
I asked a friend of mine to make a further experiment for me on the iojjj map because unfortunately I had all maps for these charts I already had scores on FCd and struggled to test the last thing:

He already had a score on the iojjj map(!) and improved it very slightly to 2,339,540 points which was also his total ranked score for the ranking charts.
After that he improved his score again by a bit to 2,733,916 points which was also his total ranked score for the ranking charts. The calculation worked correctly here!

Case 5
I followed up on this checking out if score is added regardless of how your score fares against your other scores done on a map during charts:

First I set a score of 4,269,630 points on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/473697 (which I already had a FC on) which pushed me to 94,411,446 as expected.

After that I set a score of 697,390 points which shouldn't have given me any points but pushed me to 95,108,836 instead.

Result:
As long as your global score on a map is higher than your current best score for charts, every submitted score will be counted towards your ranked chart score with no further restrictions and as many times as you want to.

I hope this will help you in fixing the calculation errors.

Replays available on request, shoutouts to pudingkokoro who was able to give me a clue after observing his concurrents for the #1 spot and HK_ for helping me with testing.