forum

Kalafina - Magia (TV Size)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lolcubes
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 18. ožujak 2011. at 10:08:16

Artist: Kalafina
Title: Magia (TV Size)
Source: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Tags: Pheon Yuki Kajiura Mahou Shoujo
BPM: 125
Filesize: 12299kb
Play Time: 01:22
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2,71 stars, 99 notes)
  2. Hard (4,84 stars, 210 notes)
  3. Magica (5 stars, 305 notes)
  4. Normal (4,15 stars, 132 notes)
  5. Pheon's Taiko (4,83 stars, 484 notes)
Download: Kalafina - Magia (TV Size)
Download: Kalafina - Magia (TV Size) (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
If you downloaded this map before 18th of March, redownload please.

My first beatmap.
Enjoy!
JaskaPaska_old
Great work!

Though on easy level the sliders are somewhat strangely shaped and a bit ugly :) otherwise great work! can't find anything elase to complain.
Topic Starter
lolcubes
Thanks!
The sliders being shaped unusually is intended, to make it less dull and have a more "distorted feel" to it, just like the song has.

Update: I took your advice and tried to smooth out the sliders a bit. Tried to keep them curvy though, but rough edges are gone now.
AfroZenPizza
I enjoy this song, and this beat map to it.
A couple things that I think would make playing the map a little more fun:
Alternate the note sounds a bit, the use of the clap sound every so often might be more fitting to the song.
A Taiko difficulty. None of the difficulties provide a large challenge in Taiko.
A custom note theme. The default theme doesn't go well with the background video.
These are just mild criticisms, don't take them as they are requirements. But if you have some time to do it, I believe that it would make the beatmap that much better. Still staring it, and may a BAT will be able to get to you.
Have a good day.
Topic Starter
lolcubes
I have added a different color scheme now and made some skins to fit the new colors (including a note theme), also I've revamped most of the hit sounds (the locations) to make it more dynamic, however I feel that claps wouldn't fit the song, so I used chimes instead.
Unfortunately, as far as taiko is concerned, I can't really do much, I don't play taiko at all and I have no idea how to make a better taiko map, so I probably won't make a taiko difficulty.
Thanks for suggestions and enjoy the map.
Also, thanks for starring. :)
kusakabe001
I like this anime :D
star~ヾ(゚ω゚)ノ゛
AfroZenPizza
I'm about to give it another play. On the Taiko map, maybe ask NatsumeRin, they are good at Taiko and have some interest in mapping this song.
viewtopic.php?t=44741

Instead of having two versions, why not make it a joint venture.

Enjoyed the new skin.
nonhuman1111
Good Job
Lance
Then jumps near the end on the insane were challenging but fun. The hard was also very fun. A good dt map. Love this ED.
Star~
aston_old
Magica :
- +1 on Circle Size, skin makes it difficult to see circles, especially with that bg.
- No kiai moments.
- 00:05:760 (1) - 00:07:920 (2); differences in spacing.
- 01:09:120 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - i'd say spacing too, but it seems like last minute jump kind of thing. Up to middle isn't the same spacing as side to side.
- 01:15:240 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6) - these had me going "wut", since you were following vocal lines till this part, it was odd. Could've been better mapped here.

Normal :
- No Kiai moments, but nothing other than that.

Easy :
- ^

Normal and Easy were well mapped. Also like the song and good work~
Star~ 3:
Topic Starter
lolcubes

aston wrote:

Magica :
- +1 on Circle Size, skin makes it difficult to see circles, especially with that bg.
Fixed, this also makes hard rock possible.
This also means that the map is too cramped, so a bigger snapping distance was used, which resulted in some minor pattern changes.

aston wrote:

- No kiai moments.
Don't think kiai would be necessary, the background is dynamic and the whole song is epic. :P

aston wrote:

- 00:05:760 (1) - 00:07:920 (2); differences in spacing.
Fixed. Pattern changed a little.

aston wrote:

- 01:09:120 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - i'd say spacing too, but it seems like last minute jump kind of thing. Up to middle isn't the same spacing as side to side.
Fixed. I feel stupid for not noticing this before. :D

aston wrote:

- 01:15:240 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6) - these had me going "wut", since you were following vocal lines till this part, it was odd. Could've been better mapped here.
I would say the song follows the "highest focus", voice -> instruments -> rhythm, last part has no vocals (apart from the sang note which would be too long and boring for a spinner) so the violin takes over.
Revamped the mapping a bit (also fixed the timings a little).

aston wrote:

Normal :
- No Kiai moments, but nothing other than that.

Easy :
- ^
Explained why I feel kiai isn't needed on this map.

aston wrote:

Normal and Easy were well mapped. Also like the song and good work~
Star~ 3:
Thanks for helping and starring.
Kurosanyan
[General]
  1. hit50, hit100, etc. A lot of players hate this because it's too big and will delete it. How about making something like this http://puu.sh/Yk1 ? (but don't take this one, bad quality :( )
  2. You should remove the audio from the video.
  3. There's two .osb files in the folder. Remove both of them.
[Easy]
  1. 00:10:560 (3) - The end of the slider is wrong, it should be at the red tick before.
  2. 00:12:000 (2) - Same here, should be at the red tick before.
  3. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break.
  4. The end of 01:07:200 (3) should be at the same place than the start of 01:09:120 (1) ( something like this http://puu.sh/Yl7)
[Normal]
  1. Overall difficulty is the same as in the Easy... how about +1?
  2. 00:03:840 (4) - New combo here?
  3. 00:06:240 (3) - This slider is under the note before, it's not very nice, how about 1 grid down?
  4. 00:07:680 (4) - New combo here?
  5. 00:10:560 (2,3,4) - That's not really nice :| How about this? http://puu.sh/Ylp And as you can see (4) is wrong, should be on the red tick before, again. Also you should add 1 or 2 whistle on this slider.
  6. 00:24:960 (1) - Add a finish at the start and a whistle at the end?
  7. 00:26:400 (2) - A whistle at the end?
  8. 00:32:640 (1) - ^
  9. 00:34:080 (2) - ^
  10. 00:36:480 (5) - 1 grid down? (to stack under 00:34:080 (2) )
  11. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break.
  12. 00:42:240 (1) - Add a finish at the start?
  13. 00:49:920 (1) - ^
[Magica]
  1. What the hell are those difficulty settings?
    Approach rate 9 is obviously too much on a 125bpm map. -2 or -1 at least
    Hp Drain is big too I think, should be -1 at least
    Overall difficulty... :( I'm not a pro, but having 80% of acc with a FC while I have more than 95% usually on other maps... should be -1 or -2.
  2. 00:03:360 (7) - Move the last point of this slider 1 grid to the left to stack it over 00:04:320 (4)
  3. 00:09:360 (6) - Spacing is wrong here, you should stack it over 00:10:320 (5) -
  4. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break.
  5. 00:50:880 (5) - Reshape the slider a little, the end should be stacked under 00:51:600 (7) or stack this note under the slider (disable the grid snap if you want to do this)
  6. 01:12:960 (1) - Maybe end at 01:14:400 ? Sounds better to me.
  7. 01:14:400 - You must remove this break.
  8. 01:21:000 (2) - Move it 1 grid down
  9. 01:22:320 (3,1,2) - Move them 1 grid up

It's good for a first map but you need to improve your skills if you want to rank it :>
Topic Starter
lolcubes

footix31 wrote:

[General]
  1. hit50, hit100, etc. A lot of players hate this because it's too big and will delete it. How about making something like this http://puu.sh/Yk1 ? (but don't take this one, bad quality :( ) Will make them a bit smaller.
  2. You should remove the audio from the video. Audio is separated from the video, but some players play the audio file with the video if they have the same name. ;)
  3. There's two .osb files in the folder. Remove both of them. Fixed.
[Easy]
  1. 00:10:560 (3) - The end of the slider is wrong, it should be at the red tick before. This is intended, so the slider finishes as the phrase she sings finishes. I suppose I might reconsider at some point but at the moment I think this is better.
  2. 00:12:000 (2) - Same here, should be at the red tick before. Same thing as the above.
  3. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break. Fixed.
  4. The end of 01:07:200 (3) should be at the same place than the start of 01:09:120 (1) ( something like this http://puu.sh/Yl7) Fixed.
[Normal]
  1. Overall difficulty is the same as in the Easy... how about +1? Fixed.
  2. 00:03:840 (4) - New combo here? I don't feel that this would fit, the entire combo kinda returns back, so I will leave it as it is now.
  3. 00:06:240 (3) - This slider is under the note before, it's not very nice, how about 1 grid down? Fixed, repositioned a bit.
  4. 00:07:680 (4) - New combo here? Same as the above.
  5. 00:10:560 (2,3,4) - That's not really nice :| How about this? http://puu.sh/Ylp And as you can see (4) is wrong, should be on the red tick before, again. Also you should add 1 or 2 whistle on this slider. Same situation as easy. Added a whistle to (2) instead, since this would make it go nice with the rhythm.
  6. 00:24:960 (1) - Add a finish at the start and a whistle at the end? Done.
  7. 00:26:400 (2) - A whistle at the end? Done.
  8. 00:32:640 (1) - ^ Done.
  9. 00:34:080 (2) - ^ Done.
  10. 00:36:480 (5) - 1 grid down? (to stack under 00:34:080 (2) ) Repositioned a bit, 1 grid down was impossible due to distance snapping, but they are stacked now.
  11. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break. Fixed.
  12. 00:42:240 (1) - Add a finish at the start? Done.
  13. 00:49:920 (1) - ^ Done.
[Magica]
  1. What the hell are those difficulty settings?
    Approach rate 9 is obviously too much on a 125bpm map. -2 or -1 at least
    Hp Drain is big too I think, should be -1 at least
    Overall difficulty... :( I'm not a pro, but having 80% of acc with a FC while I have more than 95% usually on other maps... should be -1 or -2. Reduced AR and OD by 1. Reducing it further makes this a bit too easy for an insane IMO, but getting near 100% shouldn't be as hard now.
    Also, I think that HP drain is fine, it allows 3 misses in a row without getting fully drained and you're able to keep and slowly replenish HP while you continue.
  2. 00:03:360 (7) - Move the last point of this slider 1 grid to the left to stack it over 00:04:320 (4) Fixed.
  3. 00:09:360 (6) - Spacing is wrong here, you should stack it over 00:10:320 (5) This is hard to do, the spacing follows the combo, moving (6) would result in inconsistent spacing in the combo, and moving (5) would make the pattern look really weird. Will think of something maybe, leaving it as it is now.
  4. 00:40:800 - You should remove this break. Fixed.
  5. 00:50:880 (5) - Reshape the slider a little, the end should be stacked under 00:51:600 (7) or stack this note under the slider (disable the grid snap if you want to do this) Fixed, didn't need to disable snap. :)
  6. 01:12:960 (1) - Maybe end at 01:14:400 ? Sounds better to me. Making this would feel much too different from the easy and normal maps, also making this map really short IMO.
  7. 01:14:400 - You must remove this break. Fixed.
  8. 01:21:000 (2) - Move it 1 grid down. Why? They make a perfect triangle, and the rest of the notes are spaced perfectly (look here)
  9. 01:22:320 (3,1,2) - Move them 1 grid up. Same as above.

It's good for a first map but you need to improve your skills if you want to rank it :>
Thanks. Being my first map it's obvious I need improvements :D.
Kurosanyan

lolcubes wrote:

footix31 wrote:

00:10:560 (3) - The end of the slider is wrong, it should be at the red tick before. This is intended, so the slider finishes as the phrase she sings finishes. I suppose I might reconsider at some point but at the moment I think this is better.
...What? It doesn't sounds better at all to me. I'll ask to a MAT to be sure and tell you after if it's right or not.

lolcubes wrote:

footix31 wrote:

[*]01:12:960 (1) - Maybe end at 01:14:400 ? Sounds better to me. Making this would feel much too different from the easy and normal maps, also making this map really short IMO.
How could it make the map short since there's nothing to remove? It just make the spinner longer. By the way the break after the spinner is still here.

lolcubes wrote:

footix31 wrote:

[*]01:21:000 (2) - Move it 1 grid down. Why? They make a perfect triangle, and the rest of the notes are spaced perfectly (look here)
Uh... the (2) was not on the same line as the (1) when I looked at it. Seems like you fixed it.
Revengexsoyah
~General~
- I recommend that you use the kiai times in this points : start : 00:42:240 , finish : 01:14:880
in all diffies

~Easy~
- the spacing is not the best, you should fix it and put it with more symmetry
00:10:560 (3) : sounds better when it ends in 00:11:520
00:12:000 (2) : ^ 00:13:440 , about having more symmetry in sliders

~Normal~
00:11:040 (4) : sounds better when it ends in 00:11:520 and fix it the spacing
00:32:160 : whistle ?

~Magica~
-wow xD , the distance spacing is very high , but should lower the "Circle Size" place it in 2
D:

star and good luck
Topic Starter
lolcubes

footix31 wrote:

...What? It doesn't sounds better at all to me. I'll ask to a MAT to be sure and tell you after if it's right or not.
I suppose that our opinions are a bit different on this matter, which is not bad. :) As I said, might change it if too many people think it's weird.
I suppose that I should just wake up and turn on my ears, after hearing it about 50 times now under 25% I think you're right actually. Sorry for dismissing you so fast. Fixing it now. About the normal, I don't think reducing it that much would be okay because it would end just before the last phrase be said, trying with 1/8 beat snap now but would be nice for a MAT to help here.

footix31 wrote:

How could it make the map short since there's nothing to remove? It just make the spinner longer. By the way the break after the spinner is still here.
Oops, looks like I forgot to save this break removal (i was reopening difficulties alot). Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

footix31 wrote:

Uh... the (2) was not on the same line as the (1) when I looked at it. Seems like you fixed it.
Nah, it was like this before, but it's alright.
Topic Starter
lolcubes

Revengexsoyah wrote:

~General~
- I recommend that you use the kiai times in this points : start : 00:42:240 , finish : 01:14:880
in all diffies
I don't think kiai is necessary on this map. However since more people suggest that I use it, I have placed it on 01:12:960 - 01:24:480, since this feels like the culmination of the song. On easy and normal this might feel like wasted kiai time a little, so I might change this in the future.

~Easy~
- the spacing is not the best, you should fix it and put it with more symmetry Don't really know what do you mean by that, if you mean that the sliders and circles follow "ugly" patterns, then I have changed this. Thanks.
00:10:560 (3) : sounds better when it ends in 00:11:520 This would mean it doesn't follow the highest focus (voice), however I did tweak it a bit using footix31's advice, but snapping it on a 1/8, need a MAT to confirm this.
00:12:000 (2) : ^ 00:13:440 , about having more symmetry in sliders Fixed, sliders should be more pretty now.

~Normal~
00:11:040 (4) : sounds better when it ends in 00:11:520 and fix it the spacing This would mean it doesn't follow the highest focus (voice), however I did tweak it a bit using footix31's advice, but snapping it on a 1/8, need a MAT to confirm this.
00:32:160 : whistle ? Fixed.

~Magica~
-wow xD , the distance spacing is very high , but should lower the "Circle Size" place it in 2
D:
Fixed.

star and good luck
James2250
-This song doesn't really need a break, but if you want to have a small one it would make more sense to have it near the middle of the map not at the end
-Include a hitcircle overlay and a hitcircle approach circle in your folder as you have a custom hitcircle used there
-Tick rate 2 doesn't seem to work too badly for these difficulties if you want to try it out
-Make sure to include a hit0 with your set in the folder (even if it is just the default one)
-Try and only keep 1 osb file in your folder, it seems to have 2 atm (no big deal)
-The middle of your hp bar seem odd..(try looking at it when testing)
-Don't have kiai during a break, it doesn't work well when playing

Easy:
-Slightly hard for an Easy at the moment, might be a good idea to decrease the slider velocity to make it more beginner friendly
-Try and add some more hitsounds at places, it sounds too empty in places
00:34:080 (3,5) - avoid too many overlaps to make the map look neater
00:42:240 (1,2,3,5) - this pattern seems kind of close together
00:46:080 (1,5) - stack things like this if possible

Normal:
Could look slightly more organized but not too bad in general

Magica:
-I would just name this Hard or Insane as the other difficulty names are standard
-HP Drain is slightly high, it isn't terrible but I still suggest -1
00:04:800 (6) - add a whistle here to follow your pattern
00:08:640 (4) - add whistle to the start
00:42:720 (4,5) - space out more
Those gaps at the end are pretty harsh considering the hp drain

For your 1st map the maps are actually nicely done, however too many general errors for me to star atm
Call me back after main fixes and I should be able to star~
Topic Starter
lolcubes

James2250 wrote:

-This song doesn't really need a break, but if you want to have a small one it would make more sense to have it near the middle of the map not at the end Well, while the player doesn't need the break, the nature of the song suggests to stop there a little, I don't see how to do the last part without removing it completely and then I would feel like the song is too short.
-Include a hitcircle overlay and a hitcircle approach circle in your folder as you have a custom hitcircle used there Fixed.
-Tick rate 2 doesn't seem to work too badly for these difficulties if you want to try it out Used tickrate 2 for all maps now.
-Make sure to include a hit0 with your set in the folder (even if it is just the default one) Fixed.
-Try and only keep 1 osb file in your folder, it seems to have 2 atm (no big deal) I already did remove it before, no idea how it got there again, should be fixed again. Thanks for checking.
-The middle of your hp bar seem odd..(try looking at it when testing) Wow, what a major oversight, thanks, fixed now (although a bit lazy fix but it looks good enough :) )
-Don't have kiai during a break, it doesn't work well when playing Kiai removed.

Easy:
-Slightly hard for an Easy at the moment, might be a good idea to decrease the slider velocity to make it more beginner friendly Fixed. This also resulted in major changes in the map since I had to remap half of it cause it contained sliders mostly.
-Try and add some more hitsounds at places, it sounds too empty in places Fixed. I think.
00:34:080 (3,5) - avoid too many overlaps to make the map look neater Due to the changes in the map this no longer applies, but I did follow the advice, no more silly overlaps.
00:42:240 (1,2,3,5) - this pattern seems kind of close together Should be okay now after the changes.
00:46:080 (1,5) - stack things like this if possible Same as the above.

Normal:
Could look slightly more organized but not too bad in general Currently no plans to change it, unless something mindshattering pops up :)

Magica:
-I would just name this Hard or Insane as the other difficulty names are standard I would prefer to keep it as it is, atleast for now, maybe easy and normal might receive a rename once I figure out a clever name.
-HP Drain is slightly high, it isn't terrible but I still suggest -1 Since you're not the only one who thinks this, decreased the HP drain by 1.
00:04:800 (6) - add a whistle here to follow your pattern Actually the pattern is kind of 1+1, this means that the first part has more "key sounds" than the other one, and then repeats in the next pattern, so I will leave it as it is (listen to it closely a couple of times, it's easy to catch)
00:08:640 (4) - add whistle to the start Same as the above.
00:42:720 (4,5) - space out more Fixed.
Those gaps at the end are pretty harsh considering the hp drain HP drain got reduced, should be less harsh (although harsh sounds fine to me! :D)

For your 1st map the maps are actually nicely done, however too many general errors for me to star atm
Call me back after main fixes and I should be able to star~
Thanks, will do.
aquabluu
[Easy]
Still a bit too hard for Easy though. I won't ask you to lower the SV any further, but I might suggest you turn the distance spacing down a notch to, say, 0.9-1.0? If you feel it might make the notes overlap too much then ignore this :)
00.15.360 (1,2) Suggestion- Remove whistle, add the whistle at the beginning of both sliders instead of the whole thing.
00.23.040 (1,2) ^
00.27.840 (7) Make this a symmetrical curve (i.e. move the points around so it doesn't look misshapen)
00.29.760 (2) ^
00.31.440 (4,5) Replace with either two notes or a single slider

[Normal]
00.05.760 (1) Nazi- One grid up
00.51.360 (3) Suggestion- Make this another S slider directly to the right of (2)?
01.00.240 (6) Nazi- One grid up
01.02.880 (3) Suggestion- Make this another S slider directly to the right of (2)?
01.05.280 (5) New combo
01.07.200 (1) Remove new combo

[Magica]
OD+1
00.09.600 (1,2,3) Feels weird to have 3 notes here when the song doesn't really call for it.
01.17.280 Suggestion- Add spinner here?

Star
show more