forum

#modhelp Mapping Contest 1 (Completed)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chaos
The contest has concluded. Please click HERE for the full results. Congratulations to ProfessionalBox, felys, and Seikatu for their top finishes!

Please PM all entries via forum to Zexous when submitting your entry. Please keep Zexous as the map's creator, and your name as the difficulty name. The entries will be made anonymous before the judges see them.

Hello all,

This will serve as the official post for the inaugural #modhelp mapping contest. As this contest was mostly organized through Discord, this post will mostly contain all of the details so it is easily viewable. Feel free to contact any of the organizers if you are interested in future contests as knowing there is interest for one will make it much easier to have more contests.

The contest will take place for 48 hours from 6:59AM GMT July 9th to July 11th. For reference:
Some Time Zones
Los Angeles, CA (USA)       Friday, July 8, 2016 at 11:59:00 PM  PDT  UTC-7 hours 
New York, NY (USA) Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 2:59:00 AM EDT UTC-4 hours
Paris (France) Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 8:59:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
Beijing (China) Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 2:59:00 PM CST UTC+8 hours

Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 06:59:00
Please read the two boxes below:
FAQ
Q: What is this?
A: This is the Modhelp Mapping Contest. It is an unofficial mapping contest with no restrictions on participation (and no, you don’t have to be active in #modhelp).

Q: How do I join?
A: Being in the Discord is all that’s required to participate! Do note, of course, that you can be in the Discord without being a participant (this will happen after the contest concludes and all roles are reset, or you can talk with me to arrange it manually).

Q: What’s the song?
A: The song will be revealed when the contest starts. It will always be a certain type of song, though; this time, expect BMS-style music (and of course, remember that it is always going to be a song that is somewhat of a challenge to map).

Q: How long is the song?
A: Around 2 minutes.

Q: How does the contest work?
A: The contest is semi-timed. At the start of the designated weekend, the base .osz will be available and every participant will be given exactly 48 hours to submit their entry.

Q: When does the contest begin and end?
A: July 9 at 6:59am GMT to July 11 at 6:59am GMT

Q: Do I have to map a full set?
A: No. You only have to map a single difficulty. It can be any difficulty you like; for example, if you are most comfortable with Hards, then you’re free to map a Hard if you like.

Q: What will my map be judged on?
A: The Judging Criteria is linked below.

Q: Can I use my own hitsounds?
A: No. You are permitted to use the custom hitsounds we provide you, as well as the default sets. You are not required to use the hitsounds we provide, but you cannot use any hitsounds outside of what the contest provides. Do note: to use only some of the custom hitsounds provided, you may need extensive inherited-section manipulation - but experimentation with the hitsounds like this is encouraged!

Q: What are the prizes for winning?
A: Note that all of these are not confirmed, but we are trying to provide: a profile badge (similar to other mapping contest winners), supporter tags, and inclusion in a mapset that will be pushed for ranking.

Q: How many winners will there be?
A: Only the 1st prize winner will receive the profile badge. However, supporter tags will be given to top placers and their maps may be included in the set we’ll push for ranking. (As a note, the winner's entry will be automatically placed into the mapset for ranking)

Judging Criteria
Playability (10 pts) - Points will be awarded based on the appropriateness of the map difficulty; on the flow of the map and intuitive movement; on the mastery of technical mapping techniques; and etc.

Creativity (10 pts) - Points will be awarded based on the uniqueness of the map; on the skill with which said uniqueness is applied to the map; on how well creative elements work in conjunction to the map and the song as a whole; and etc.

Relevance (10 pts) - Points will be awarded based on how well the map fits the song; on how appropriate individual elements, patterns, and sections are to the corresponding music; and etc.

Aesthetics (10 pts) - Points will be awarded based on the visual appeal of the map; on the cohesiveness of the map structure; on how successfully the visual style of elements work with each other; and etc.
  1. Although aesthetics is inherently subjective, judges should try to maintain a certain level of objectivity (e.g. do not punish a map for a single visual element that only you dislike on a personal level).
Hitsounding (5 pts) - Points will be awarded based on how thorough, creative, and audibly appealing the hitsounds are.
  1. A 5/5 on this section is reserved for absolutely stunning hitsounding; a competent score would be 3/5, a good score would be 4/5.
  2. Only the default set and custom hitsounds provided by the contest are allowed.
Judges should provide a reasonably clear explanation of each score.

There are seven judges whose individual scores will be added for a total score for each contestant. The judges for this contest are Fycho, HappyRocket88, Kibbleru, Nozhomi, Okorin, Tess, and Xinely. Each entry will be made anonymous to ensure fairness and any attempts to circumvent anonymity in any way will result in disqualification. Please PM Zexous with the .osu file for your map when you are ready to submit your entry.

The link to join the Discord server is here. You can discuss the contest, ask questions, etc as you'd like. We request that you keep your name on this server identical to your osu! username for clarity's sake, even if you are not participating in this contest.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask both in this thread and on Discord.

Organizers: Chaos, IamKwaN, Xenans, Zexous
Ongaku
took me 3 hours

ez xdd
pkhg
is too late to join?
i guess so x d
Hula
Who are the judges? So I know where to send my bribes
Topic Starter
Chaos
Updated OP with the list of judges: Fycho, HappyRocket88, Kibbleru, Nozhomi, Okorin, Tess, Xinely
Topic Starter
Chaos
To post an update: Judging is currently underway. We're hoping that all of the judging will be finished in 3-4 weeks time. I'll make another post when all of the judging has been finalized and give an estimate for the announcement of results and prizes afterwards.