forum

General/Set-up Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
0_o
Discuss past games, future games, and anything mafia related here.

Do NOT discuss games that are currently in progress.
Mara
That medic is a spy!
Topic Starter
0_o
I'm thinking of hosting a classic mafia (open setup, possible cop/doctor/roleblocker) after one or two of the current games finish. Would anyone be interested?
Sleep Powder
Somehow make it a Tree Stump Setup and I'm in.

this isn't off-topic, mara. stay on topic.
DeathxShinigami
Nominating animask to be mod queue'd for all future mafia games.
Topic Starter
0_o

animask wrote:

Somehow make it a Tree Stump Setup and I'm in.
Would that be like, the mafia only takes away players' ability to vote instead of killing them? I dunno, that's weighted against the mafia quite a bit since they would no longer be able to eliminate people who are on to them. It would also mean cops wouldn't have to worry about being NKed since they could just tell all of their results after they die.

Nonetheless, I want to host a vanilla game or two first before getting into the more experimental setups.
Mara

animask wrote:

this isn't off-topic, mara. stay on topic.
You didn't get it.
rust45
I was planning on hosting a very bastard mod game that would make all the participants hate me when it was over.
pieguyn

0_o wrote:

I'm thinking of hosting a classic mafia (open setup, possible cop/doctor/roleblocker) after one or two of the current games finish. Would anyone be interested?
Yes please. I personally prefer open setups myself. :)
Lybydose
Post Restriction Mafia go!

I was somewhat considering running a TF2 themed closed setup game.
NoHitter

Lybydose wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=57934
*cough*
Topic Starter
0_o

Lybydose wrote:

Post Restriction Mafia go!

So was I :P Pretty similar to No's actually, but I was thinking of having 2 or 3 weapon options per class and let each player pick what "loadout" to use.
Topic Starter
0_o
How would you guys feel about a giant Ace-of-Hearts style Werewolf game that hopefully won't end up breaking?

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean, it's the same as mafia but with no restrictions on communication - you can send PMs, chat in IRC, etc. whenever you want.
Lybydose
Open communication is extremely favorable towards the town. You need to make the mafia extremely OP to balance it. That's why it usually ends up breaking.
LadySuburu

0_o wrote:

How would you guys feel about a giant Ace-of-Hearts style Werewolf game that hopefully won't end up breaking?

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean, it's the same as mafia but with no restrictions on communication - you can send PMs, chat in IRC, etc. whenever you want.
Also on my list for games I'm going to host is an Ace-style WWG. Who knows when I'll get to it though.

I figure this is a good list for my upcoming games (Not nessicarilly in order.) I'll take into account how much anyone says they want a specific game hosted on which ones I do next.

Host's Poison 1 (Deep in-progress.) [Last one with crazy roles unless I'm asked to host another like it.]
Mind Game Mafia (In-progress.) [Will have sequels.]
Less Experimental Mafia 2 (Signups.) [Will have sequels.]

Simple Host's Poison (Coming soon.) [Might have sequels. One role per player.]
Unnamed WWG-style game. (On the list.) [Could have sequels if requested.]
Bastard Mod Mafia (Maybe.) [Likely won't have sequels. Who would enjoy it?]
Nightless Mafia (I feel like doing another one like this eventually) [May have sequels.]

Edits to come later.
Lybydose
post restriction mafia gogo
Topic Starter
0_o

Lybydose wrote:

Open communication is extremely favorable towards the town. You need to make the mafia extremely OP to balance it. That's why is usually ends up breaking.
Well I looked back on the previous games broke for the following reasons: NoHItter (town) tricked jockey (wolf) into telling him the wolves identities after No died, then told everyone right after; townies exploited the wording of their role PMs to confirm eachother; Ace's broken ninja role prevented NKs on a wolf kill; and the host's computer blew up. I think with a carefully planned setup it could work.

As far as balancing the mafia goes:
-There would be a relatively high mafia-town ratio
-Roles would not be revealed upon death; a Coroner will be used instead.
-Contrary to the previous WWGs, I'm thinking a "no talking about the game after death" rule would be in place. There isn't a real way of enforcing it, but hopefully if it's made clear enough that it's a direct violation of the rules then the players will honour it.

If this gets enough support, I'll go over the setup here and open it up for suggestions and analysis to prevent loopholes/balance issues.

EDIT: orrr we could just wait for LS's game :P I really do want to host something eventually though, so if LS wanted to lighten his workload a bit, I'd love to give it a shot.
foulcoon
Huge WWG next please, I'm craving this.
Lybydose
The problem is that ultimately you end up with some guy that's confirmed town. Then everyone PMs that guy with their roles. If anything doesn't add up, boom - mafia (or wolves I guess). Otherwise you get a ton of confirmed townies and just kill everyone else.

Probably less likely to happen with a closed setup.
LadySuburu
Feel free to host the WWG, and I'll gladly host join it. I had it on my planned list since someone else requested me to host it at the end of one of my previous games.

Edit: Fixing a derp.
show more