forum

Best key switches for speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Asop
Hello people. I have been interested in buying a new keyboard for a while and want to get one with switches other than reds. I have been starting to get into higher bpm dt songs, and I don't like how hard I have to slam my reds bottoming out on them to click fast enough. I feel like something with either a click or something with more resistance so I didn't have to bottom out on them would be better.

Trying to decide between blacks or a clicky switch like browns, blues, or greens.

Any input is appreciated :)
Akanagi
Black or Browns then.
KupcaH
I'm sure 99% that you won't get "speed" from getting another switch keyboard.
Topic Starter
Asop

KupcaH wrote:

I'm sure 99% that you won't get "speed" from getting another switch keyboard.
I have heard from other people that you can click faster on clicky switches because you don't have to bottom out on your key presses, so you only have to push the key half way down which makes it faster.
Disillusionz
Have you tried using o-rings? It made a considerable difference with my gateron clears.
Topic Starter
Asop

SirOxorsid wrote:

Have you tried using o-rings? It made a considerable difference with my gateron clears.
I've never heard of those until now. What do they do?
N0thingSpecial
rubber dome
Disillusionz

_Asop wrote:

SirOxorsid wrote:

I've never heard of those until now. What do they do?

Good explanation here: http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/faqs/what-is-rubber-o-ring-do-i-need-it/

Basically they act as a kind of cushion to your keys and the feeling of bottoming out will be lessened. They are extremely cheap, you can get a hundred for a few bucks on ebay (just make sure they are cherry mx compatible; practically all of them are). People often get it because it's supposed to make your keys quieter (which i dont really think it does) but it serves the purpose of lessening the bottoming out feel pretty well. It honestly sounds like a better solution than getting new keys, cherry reds are already great switches (plus you dont have much to lose if you don't like the o-rings).

EDIT: Definitely do not go for browns if you are getting them for osu. They are great for general use but the tactileness of it will really bother you on high BPM songs. Linear switches are much better for that purpose.
Topic Starter
Asop
Ordered some o rings. Let's see how this goes.
Disillusionz

_Asop wrote:

Hope you like them! Just be careful when taking off the keycaps on your keyboard, you don't want to break anything.
I Give Up
Switches dont make you faster. They simply complement your tapping style. Maybe browns will help, though honestly if your tapping too hard then just tap softly. Saves money.
Aegyo
O p t i c a l
Kondou-Shinichi
Any key switches will do (except if its old and broken)
For a more better approach, buy a better light switch
Yoppi
You definitely don't need to bottom out with reds. I rarely do - all you need to actually get used to is at which point it activates a keypress. But then again, if you don't constantly alternate, then maybe bottoming out is just the natural thing to do. O-rings may help with reducing the travel distance.

Contrary to what some users might say about tactile switches, I really don't think they make a difference in speed. The click/bump from blues or browns can help you find the activation point, but with tactile switches, I find bottoming them out to be much more satisfying than with reds. I like switching between browns and reds all the time. Go figure.

Also consider the material of your keyboard and keycaps. I have an aluminum keyboard with PBT keycaps, and it's more prone to "clacking" (which I like very much when bottoming out) versus one with ABS keycaps and a plastic base. The sturdier the material, the better they feel, guaranteed.
Topic Starter
Asop

SirOxorsid wrote:

_Asop wrote:

Hope you like them! Just be careful when taking off the keycaps on your keyboard, you don't want to break anything.
These O-rings are literally the greatest thing I have ever purchased. It is legitimately so much easier to click fast now.
Kiciuk
For standard i will go with gateron browns.
They work much better than cherry reds for me.
Galog
Endomou
I actually bought a new keyboard for osu the corsair k68 (couldn't afford the k70) well so far so good I really recommend it also comes with free wrist rest if you're going for a new a bit expensive keyboard it has cherry red switches if you want cherry speed switches buy the corsair k70 rapidfire though I think people say corsair is overpriced
Saturation
I just bought the Corsair k70 with cherry speeds because I got tired of my razer keyboard and it's noticeably quicker to tap with.