forum

Pokemon Theme Song (Hard Mode Uploaded)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zyid
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 10:26:11 PM

Artist: John Loeffler
Title: Pokemon Theme Song
BPM: 145
Filesize: 3253kb
Play Time: 03:12
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (2.35 stars, 221 notes)
  2. Hard (4.12 stars, 349 notes)
Download: John Loeffler - Pokemon Theme Song
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hey, this is my first beatmap (thanks to Puffles for showing me the ropes). I thought the Pokemon Theme Song would be kind of funny (and very awesome) to play to, so I ran with it. The beatmap starts off kind of easy but gets progressively harder, so I decided to just label it as Normal and call it a day. I might work on other difficulties in the future if I have the time.

After a two month delay, Hard Mode has now been properly uploaded and approved! Please enjoy it, I find it a lot more fun than Normal!
Puffles
You need to work on your timing. It's not bad for your first attempt; you'll get better with practice.
Topic Starter
Zyid

Puffles wrote:

You need to work on your timing. It's not bad for your first attempt; you'll get better with practice.
For the new upload I did fix the opening and the one error you mentioned earlier. After that I found one more, but beyond that I can't find any timing mistakes. If someone can point them out to me I'll patch it up and reupload.
eyup
Your timing is perfect, which is great. However after a timing change, the beats need to be resnapped, and even after that, usually there are an odd few that need manually changing. I found a few sliders starting a 1/4 beat early, etc. Should be pretty easy just to play through the song in edit mode, listen carefully and fix the discrepancies.

Also in need of fixing is the note spacing. It is perfect in places, but inconsistent throughout the song. Try holding down Alt when placing your notes to give you a rough idea of the appropriate distance to leave. An example where beat spacing is a big problem is at 0:33.67 - same beat spacing, but different time between beats.

After these are fixed the song should be pretty close to ranking!
Topic Starter
Zyid

eyup wrote:

Your timing is perfect, which is great. However after a timing change, the beats need to be resnapped, and even after that, usually there are an odd few that need manually changing. I found a few sliders starting a 1/4 beat early, etc. Should be pretty easy just to play through the song in edit mode, listen carefully and fix the discrepancies.

Also in need of fixing is the note spacing. It is perfect in places, but inconsistent throughout the song. Try holding down Alt when placing your notes to give you a rough idea of the appropriate distance to leave. An example where beat spacing is a big problem is at 0:33.67 - same beat spacing, but different time between beats.

After these are fixed the song should be pretty close to ranking!
Thanks, this was very helpful. I ran through the entire song several times at .5 and .25 speed and fixed every flaw I found - turns out that there were quite a few. I'm fairly sure that I got them all, and also I fixed the erroneous beat spacing for the most part. I left in a few "same beat spacing, different time between beats" in reasonable places where it's not a big problem and provides a slight challenge. I believe that this version should be good to go, but please let me know if there's something I missed:

Pokemon Theme Song (Normal) - Final
http://peppy.chigau.com/files/PokemonThemeSongFinal.osz

EDIT: I only just now realized that there was a HUGE mistake in that one - somehow one of my breaks disappeared entirely. I fixed it and reuploaded, so it should be fine now.
Extor
I don't see any mayor problems with this beatmap. It's very well done, congrats.

The only part you should see is having an strict spacing in the parts where you need to click a large group of notes. One example of this is 2:29:12. There are other places around there, but they aren't so critical like that one.

Cya!
Kylecito
Agree with fellow beatmappers! Needs better spacing in some parts.
I suggest you play the map a lot of times on the editor and check where the ratio between distance/timing is messed up!
The BPM is most likely dead-on so no further tweaking is needed there
Topic Starter
Zyid
All right, I just updated with a new version! I decided that the part Extor pointed out wasn't just badly spaced, but unfair for normal level difficulty. I reworked that part, and also made a number of smaller changes throughout. I think all the spacing should be easy to follow now, with the occasional intentional exception in reasonable places.

It's gotten to the point now where I'm unable to find any more places of concern myself. I think it's just about done. If anyone can point out specific flaws that are keeping it from ranking, please let me know.
peppy
How about this?

1. Resnapped to 1/2. There were a lot of notes that were off by 1/4. Next time you make a song, try beginning with snap divisor set at 2, and only increase if you feel the need.
2. Changed offset by about 8ms or less? I think it was slightly out.
3. Moved some notes that didn't follow the distance-time rule. If you want an example of what to look out for, check 1:38:44. The two diagonal runs were previous equally spaced, even though one was double the speed of the other. You should look out for these.
4. Maybe add the artist in? John Loeffler he is.

Apart from that I think this fixed version should be plenty rankable. Just need your approval (and reupload the original with artist and new file if you agree:)). Good job for your first try.

Download: Pokemon Theme Song (Zyid) [Normal].osu
Topic Starter
Zyid

peppy wrote:

How about this?
Wow, thanks a lot. I actually didn't know who the artist was, but he's added now. I checked the beatmap and everything looks good. I did make one change to the slider at 2:40:50 but it's very minor, hardly worth mentioning. The reupload is here:

<deleted - see below for link>

It's fine with me as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: Hold on, the version on my computer was fine but uploading it seems to have somehow messed something up. Reuploaded as a different filename:

Pokemon Theme Song (Zyid).osz

This one should work. Let me quadruple check the upload.

FINAL EDIT: Yes, the version found at the URL above is perfect. Ready for ranking, captain!
eyup
One final thing before rankage - I think the two red sliders at 0:26.85 are half a beat behind. I moved them forward and they seem a lot more natural to me. Don't know if it was deliberate on your part to have them a bit earlier though - get back to me on this.
Topic Starter
Zyid

eyup wrote:

One final thing before rankage - I think the two red sliders at 0:26.85 are half a beat behind. I moved them forward and they seem a lot more natural to me. Don't know if it was deliberate on your part to have them a bit earlier though - get back to me on this.
Hm...originally I thought that it sounded better that way, but now that I listen to it again I think you're right. Keep your change, and thanks for catching that!
eyup
No worries! Re-uploaded and ranked :D
Topic Starter
Zyid
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: John Loeffler - Pokemon Theme Song (Zyid) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
Zyid
I hate to be a bother about this, but it's been a considerable time since I've uploaded the Hard Mode version. I've been busy so it's been a while since I've had time to work on beatmaps, but I'm finally nearing the end of the term so I'm intending to get back to it now.

Can any mods approve or give suggestions about the Hard Mode version? Thanks!
EiJi
Now, for hard mode.

I approve.

BUT. I omitted spacing from my modding, seeing how Normal mode wasn't spaced good enough to be ranked to begin with. (by my standard anyway)

So for the next mod: If you approve of the spacing, then I do too.

Edit: Peppy approves Hard mode for ranking.

RANKED
flyboy87
Yay, I've been waiting for a harder mode.

Thanks! I really like this song!
Duoprism
Well this is the full version. And a beatmap should not be judged based on your personal preference to music. Besides someone else can map the TV size version if they feel like it.
CowNoseThe50PoundCat
I like this song a lot but I can't beat normal. T.T I think you fail too easy, maybe I'm just not getting the beat.
Ekaru

CowNoseThe50PoundCat wrote:

I like this song a lot but I can't beat normal. T.T I think you fail too easy, maybe I'm just not getting the beat.
1. This map is old.
2. It has evil spacing.
3. It has a stupid HP Drain.

So you're probably getting the beat, just that it was made back when making the map intuitive for normal people wasn't enforced as much. No worries.
show more