forum

osu!taiko Star Rating calculator

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Alchyr
This is something I made because a lot of people have been mentioning it.

This is a calculator for star rating. It's not perfect, which is why I'm putting it here in the hopes of receiving helpful feedback.

v2.0
Last update: 8/3/2018
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TefHv5 ... sp=sharing
This program will calculate both current and new star rating for maps (along with dt if you want it) and display all of them in a giant table.

sample
Treat this as an example of what the program looks like, not for accurate values. I'm too lazy to keep updating the image. :c
https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/aXaV0K3.png

Latest changes: A lot of changes to calculation. A very basic example of what pp might be has been added.
Star rating is comparable to old, but for pp, it's basically completely different.

Treat pp numbers as more as a comparative "this is worth more than this" than "this is how much pp this map will be worth"

List of probably necessary adjustments:
pp values overall may be a bit too low? a very slight bit
pp values for higher star maps might be a bit too exponentially high.

Need to add a way to check the effect of misses; misses will (should) have more of an effect on maps with less effective objects, and less of an effect on a map with more.

Github link to VS 2017 project for those who want it - https://github.com/Alchyr/taiko

Please comment your thoughts. This is just a test version, so please say if you feel like some things are still over/underweighted. Because some things obviously will be.

Note: Sliders and spinners are completely ignored (with both old and new star rating). So, check some gimmick maps if you want.
BabySnakes
Maybe break down the formula so non coders can understand and try to improve it? There could be the problem that once known how the formula works, people could start trying to abuse the system. But I think we should go for full transparency and allow people to exploit the system while it is still being made (If it ever replaced the current system) so we could polish with the increased feedback.
dewero
Using some source control like git and uploading to a website like github would make collaboration much easier

I've worked on something like this, you can take a look at my code if you're interested: https://github.com/NotMichaelChen/TDA
Topic Starter
Alchyr
updated.
Garpo
you're doing god's work son.
but on a serious note for the calculator itself, we've discussed it in a discord server but it'd be smart to add it here:

The 1/6 Nerf is extremely wayyyy too drastic. It is currently removing -1.40 SR on maps such as enantiomorph and not to mention the rest of the 1/6 maps being crushed.

Stream maps currently gain anywhere between ~+.5 to ~+1.5 which is too extreme.

On the low end, Kantans and Futsuus lose a bit too much SR than I'm comfortable with.

The main two issues being 1/6 & High Bpm Streams.
After these issues are fixed, it would be almost infinitely better than what we currently have.
I'm curious as to how this would effect converts just nuke them
yea
Good work
DeletedUser_1981781
Great tool, keep the good work! It seems that your tool in its current state nerfs 1/8 doubles and 1/6 patterns, but not [1/4+1/6] hybrid patterns yet.
Yuzeyun
Here's some feedback on the current version of the comparison tool:

Overall, while some slower tech maps got nerfed as shit and reflets their true difficulty (Maniera's tech stops at some 1/6 notes, same for Black Lotus), a lot of hard tech maps that rely more on speed like Lawn Wake IV or Slash Dot Dash also get affected with similar gravity, thus pretty much making them underrated. Speed maps also get affected by a SR decrease, some well known hard maps due to their sheer difficulty go down by 0.2-0.9 stars (however, I've noticed an increase in a few speed maps). Stamina somehow gets affected as well (Vertex Beta goes down 1.12)

An increase has been seen on 207, one of my joke maps, although this one's should be open for debate as I personally think it's been made more overrated than it is now. It's pretty much a pain for me as Tang Pong gets a -2.55 star nerf, throwing it nearly 1 star under. (Needless to say I can FC even SS 207 while tang pong akumu S is yet to be seen)

Smaller thingoes:
- Similarly but not exactly similar maps get the same or very similar star ratings. lol2 has color changes while lol3 does not.
- Zero-hittable note maps yield NaN values, this should be a flat 0 in that case.
- Absurdly short maps get a more proper star rating, instead of 0.X because they last like 5 seconds.
- Fast kdkdkdkdkdk (~175 1/8) get absurdly buffed, despite being TLable. I'm not sure how this can be addressed without affecting more normal maps.
- Some maps where the star rating would decrease with DT (happens!) seem to be fixed.
- Doublet maps seem to have differences depending on the snapping > https://i.imgur.com/nbH1Eun.png ("12" has no doublets, "14" is a stream, the rest is doublets). 1/6 seems to be the peak star rating in that case.
- 3/2 problem (SR boost by just using them) seems to be gone.
- lol
- Same goes for maps that had a lower difficulty be rated higher than the higher difficulty (Mooned Insect Futsuu/Muzukashii)

I'm kinda mixed on the new weightings in this program as a result (compared to the old ones) but since you said some of these things are already addressed I'll be patiently waiting.

ARGENTINE DREAM wrote:

Great tool, keep the good work! It seems that your tool in its current state nerfs 1/8 doubles and 1/6 patterns, but not [1/4+1/6] hybrid patterns yet.

Dude I don't want tang pong akumu to be 1* :(((((((
Topic Starter
Alchyr
Updated.

-Color actually does something
-Some necessary rebalancing has been done because of this
-0 object now gives 0 instead of NaN :c

gezo - stop making such weird maps >.>

things i need to do - add a search... a search has been added.
DeletedUser_1981781
You should make your calculations taking very specific maps in account, I'm still concerned about inflated 1/4+1/6 in this tool.

For example, there's no way Sunshine/Last Fortune/x.U are worth more than Maniera.

Here in my list ( t/747516 ) of SR7 maps you can see that the "true" SR7 maps are the ones in the 15 and 16 stars tier. (That case being, 12-13-15 tier should be SR6 range, and 9-10-11 should be SR5 range)

See if you can do something about the Cycle Hits as well :p