forum

MegaDriver - Bluer Than Metal (Big Blue - F-Zero)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Offset a solid 400 sounds good to me.

As a normal map, especially with a BPM of 200, you should probably not have anything snapped to the quarter beats. (Except for maybe 00:32:72 (4) and similar.) I think the initial offset made the quarter beats sound better timed, but at 400 they all fall on halves and wholes. Allllso if I were you I'd probably drop the first two notes - entering the tail end of a stanza just sounds weird to me. Last thought, 00:58:07 (1,1,1) - I'd leave it as a spinner or a single slider but the single slider is noisy and you can't hear those rad double-kicks =(
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
All right, set offset to 400 and corrected quarter beats, and got rid of the first two notes (they did seem pretty awkward). Also replaced those noisy three sliders with a brief spinner.

ty awp
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
I think it's about done, unless I add another difficulty or two. :D

Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo

Echo wrote:

Check your spacing, some of it is reeeeeeeeaaaally misleading eg. 00:39:10 (1,2,3,4,5)

Some combos are really messy, such as 01:17:20 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)

Also, I disapprove of two ~10 second breaks within 10 seconds of each other, especially near the end of a song
Thanks for the feedback.

I kind of liked that cluster ;( - but I spaced it out a bit more to make it less misleading, in addition to fixing the spacing in many other areas.

I also cleaned up that messy combo a bit and added a slider in place of a few of the circles, making it a bit smaller.

Also, I got rid of one of the breaks at the end (and also replaced one of the spinners with an elongated slider, as I don't really want more than 2 spinners on this).

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
Just finished adding hard mode, and I made a few improvements to normal as well. I also renamed the difficulties to Novice, Standard, and Expert, to match F-Zero (GX)'s difficulty names.
Pokebis
This is pretty good for a first map, but still full of holes.
There are numerous errors in all three modes so I'm not going to cover them all. Try to find some on your own. Feel free to look around at other ranked maps or other mistakes people have made. Also all three difficulties have some confusing beatspacing. You may want to turn on distance snap (you can put it on your desired setting by holding alt and scrolling your mouse wheel/moving the slider at the top right) and go through all the maps respacing them with the help of D. snap. Also the tick rate seems a bit strange to me, but it's up to you if you want to change it or not. Also, the ending at 02:36:40 is really abrupt; I think you should map to a better stopping point. Also, you don't need to have all the endings and breaks in the same place in every mode, but that's up to you. (Reminder, much more flies in osu! than it would in EBA/OTO)

Novice:

-Short sliders like 00:06:10 (2) and double hits like 00:10:90 (1,2) at the same beat seems a bit strange in an easy map. It's up to you whether to keep these or not, but I think you should pick one and stick to it. Also if you keep the double hits you may want to have them in the same spot rather than right next to each other (confusing on what's a slider and what's a double hit)
-00:26:20 (3) - Sliders like this seem a bit strange.
-00:31:60 (1,2,3,4) - A good example of a misleading combo is this one. It isn't where the bad spacing starts, but this is really where people could screw up.
-00:45:17 (1) - This sounds awful strange. I recommend making it 2/4s smaller, moving it back 1/4, and taking out the repeat so it's more attune to the music.
-00:53:20 (1,2,3,4,5) - This combo isn't terrible, but it sounds a bit out of place, you may want to put a repeating slider here that hits all the sounds in the music (would be 1/1 long and repeat 6 times unless you want a beat or two after it).
-01:05:20 (4) - You may want to lengthen this so it reaches 01:06:55 (Again, don't forget to use D. snap after that).
-01:38:80 (4) - Make this a single beat.
-01:43:60 (4) - This too.
-02:23:50 (5,6,7) - These would really confuse the player
-02:29:50 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - I see what you're going for here, but I think that this combo should be perfectly inline with the music (repeating slider or something?) Also a combo like this is in every mode, so you may want to look for it in all of them.
-02:31:90 (1,2,3,4,5) - Here too.

Standard:
Note: this is your best mode! :)
Still full of problems though. :|

-00:16:30 (4) - This slider seems a bit odd.
-00:24:40 (1,2,3) - Another good example of what spacing shouldn't be. Again, Distance Snap is you're friend.
-01:20:50 (10) - This slider should be changed to be easier to tell where you're going.

Expert:
-00:46:00 (2) - The end of this slider is IN A BREAK. Please take out all of your breaks in every mode and re add them to make them fit each difficulty.

This mode needs to go over a big makeover. Don't worry if it's to hard for you just try to match the music.

General:
-Spacing fixes
-Some combo fixes
-Some timeline issues (the time the beats are hit)
-This is the biggest point I want to stress. All the difficulties look the same. You may want to spice each up a bit. Sliders are nice, but using them in each mode is kinda "meh."
-Map to the end or at least a better ending point, it ends kind of abruptly.

Just go over it and try to do your best, ranked maps have to be perfect. Don't be discouraged by all the errors though. Just like playing mapping takes some getting used to, just take a look at other maps and compare them to yours and use your best judgment. Sorry if I was a bit harsh; good luck and have fun! ;)

Again, I want to remind you I didn't touch all the errors in here just the main ones.
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
Thanks for the feedback - also, m980 just modded this for me, so first I'm going to note the changes that that led to:
Expert:
- 00:25:15 (Combo) - 3 and 4 now look like 1/2 notes instead of 1/4
- Ticker rate set to 4 in Expert
Novice:
- 02:17:20 (3) - overlapping Slider fixed - same with 02:24:40 (1)
Standard:
- 00:24:40 (1,2,3) - Standard | fixed placement - same with 01:51:70 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
- 01:13:30 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - spacing fixed
- 01:36:10 (5,1) - 1 moved closer to 5
- 02:07:90 (2) - 2 moved closer to 3
- 02:10:00 (12) - starting / ending points separated

I had distance snapping on for most of the beatmapping, but yeah, there were still some spacing issues.

Pokebis wrote:

Novice:

-Short sliders like 00:06:10 (2) and double hits like 00:10:90 (1,2) at the same beat seems a bit strange in an easy map. It's up to you whether to keep these or not, but I think you should pick one and stick to it. Also if you keep the double hits you may want to have them in the same spot rather than right next to each other (confusing on what's a slider and what's a double hit)
Yeah, that was a bit awkward - changed them all to short sliders in novice.

-00:26:20 (3) - Sliders like this seem a bit strange.
Maybe it would be better as a straight line, though I'm not certain as to what's odd about it.

-00:31:60 (1,2,3,4) - A good example of a misleading combo is this one. It isn't where the bad spacing starts, but this is really where people could screw up.
Fixed the spacing here

-00:45:17 (1) - This sounds awful strange. I recommend making it 2/4s smaller, moving it back 1/4, and taking out the repeat so it's more attune to the music.
I took out the repeat and made it 2/4 smaller, but I moved it back 2/4, as it seems to sync better there than 1/4.

-00:53:20 (1,2,3,4,5) - This combo isn't terrible, but it sounds a bit out of place, you may want to put a repeating slider here that hits all the sounds in the music (would be 1/1 long and repeat 6 times unless you want a beat or two after it).
Yeah, that sounds a lot better - fixed that.

-01:05:20 (4) - You may want to lengthen this so it reaches 01:06:55 (Again, don't forget to use D. snap after that).
-01:38:80 (4) - Make this a single beat.
-01:43:60 (4) - This too.
Done, done, and done.

-02:23:50 (5,6,7) - These would really confuse the player
The only way I can think of to keep spacing intact and to not cover the long slider is to remove 6 - so I did that.

-02:29:50 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - I see what you're going for here, but I think that this combo should be perfectly inline with the music (repeating slider or something?) Also a combo like this is in every mode, so you may want to look for it in all of them.
Fixed these to be one longer slider with 1 circle after it (2 circles after the second one)

Standard:
Note: this is your best mode! :)
Still full of problems though. :|

-00:16:30 (4) - This slider seems a bit odd.
-00:24:40 (1,2,3) - Another good example of what spacing shouldn't be. Again, Distance Snap is you're friend.
Fixed.

-01:20:50 (10) - This slider should be changed to be easier to tell where you're going.
Fixed.
This was harder to fix in standard, as I didn't want to make it that easy by using just a repeating slider - I put in a few repeating sliders along with circles, though, and I think it works.

Also, I ended standard a bit later in standard and expert - though I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the ending yet.

Expert:
-00:46:00 (2) - The end of this slider is IN A BREAK. Please take out all of your breaks in every mode and re add them to make them fit each difficulty.
Whoops - fixed.

This mode needs to go over a big makeover. Don't worry if it's to hard for you just try to match the music.

General:
-Spacing fixes
-Some combo fixes
-Some timeline issues (the time the beats are hit)
-This is the biggest point I want to stress. All the difficulties look the same. You may want to spice each up a bit. Sliders are nice, but using them in each mode is kinda "meh."
-Map to the end or at least a better ending point, it ends kind of abruptly.

Just go over it and try to do your best, ranked maps have to be perfect. Don't be discouraged by all the errors though. Just like playing mapping takes some getting used to, just take a look at other maps and compare them to yours and use your best judgment. Sorry if I was a bit harsh; good luck and have fun! ;)

Again, I want to remind you I didn't touch all the errors in here just the main ones.
I've gotten mixed opinions about expert, so I might hold out for another opinion or two before making significant changes to it. The difficulties do kind of look similar, I'll try to work on that.

Thanks again for the input.
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
I did kind of a lot with expert difficulty - removed some notes where it seemed they didn't belong, fixed spacing, and some general re-working of parts that needed it.
awp
<3 what's the ASCII for bubble

anyhow I like this map brb drumming along
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
ty awp

Also I just made a few modifications to standard that I think make it a bit better (replaced 00:30:10 (4) circle with a 1/2 long slider, and did the same with 00:32:50 (4,5), and 00:45:10 (1) now fits better with the music).
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
I just completely reworked the positioning of Standard - though I had distance snapping on almost the whole time initially, I altered a bit between .5 spacing and .7, depending on which seemed to fit better - mainly in the beginning of the beatmap. This, of course, led to inconsistencies, so I ironed those out.

Edit: cleaned up Expert as well, though they were mostly in Standard.
Cyclone
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
All right, fixed those issues.

Thanks again for checking it out.
awp
Pre-sound effects

Now with sounds

Download: MegaDriver - Bluer Than Metal (TheManCalledNo) [Master].osu
awp
btw I re-affirm bubble/changes cough cough
Cyclone
one very very tiny thing:

Standard:

00:16:30 (4) - White ticks please.

After that is fixed, it'll be ranked (very small fixes don't need to be reconfirmed by a BAT)

I'm also assuming you ONLY made changes to standard, yes? if you made changes to other difficulties, let me know.
Topic Starter
TheManCalledNo
Thanks - I fixed that.

Cyclone wrote:

I'm also assuming you ONLY made changes to standard, yes? if you made changes to other difficulties, let me know.
Aside from adding sound effects, yeah, it was only standard that received changes.
show more