forum

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Balrog Boogie

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on February-26-09 at 3:54:12 PM

Artist: Diablo Swing Orchestra
Title: Balrog Boogie
Tags: avant-garde metal swing dancing demon
BPM: 182.31
Filesize: 8436kb
Play Time: 03:42
Difficulties Available:
  1. Summoner (4.93 stars, 404 notes)
  2. Swing Dancer (4.22 stars, 225 notes)
  3. Tap-Dancer (2.77 stars, 167 notes)
Download: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Balrog Boogie
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Swing metal. Need I say more?

A little bit of skinning for this one; I think it looks fine, but then again I'm no artist. Normal and Insane were made without using distance snap, but the spacing should be good because I'm awesome like that.

Edit 1: Made the spacing in Easy look a bit nicer, fixed a few note snaps in Normal.
Edit 2: Insane mode almost done.
Edit 3: Insane mode finished except for probably a lot of spacing issues.
Edit 4: Fixed a bit of spacing, changed the background, and added some cool sliders to Insane. Also changed difficulty settings.
Edit 5: Hitsound volume on Insane's instrumental sections.
Edit 6: Edited timing slightly, and added more hitsounds to Insane.
Edit 7: Moar timing edits.
Edit 8: awptimenfixen und sliderfixen.
Edit 9: More timing fixes, and a minor fix on Easy.
Edit 10: Fixed overlapping spinners on Insane, and reduced the ninja bastard spinners.
Edit 11: Fixed some sliders, and added tags.
Edit 12: Storyboarding work, timing and mapping fixes. Moved to WIP 'till storyboarding's done.
Edit 13: More storyboarding. Still not finished.
Edit 14: Storyboard's done! Moved back to Pending.
Edit 15: Removed some unneeded files, and fixed the Preview time.
Edit 16: SB fixes; still planning to add more.
Edit 17: More SB work; timing fixes.
Edit 18: Cleanup and improvements: timing, hitsounds, tags; remapped part of Insane with increased BPM. Called it Insane2 for now, in case I decide I don't like it.
Edit 19: More remapping, especially on Summoner. Also new difficulty names, and removed a file from the SB.
Edit 20: Removed the creepy hooded guy from the SB, because the only time you notice him is when you notice how poorly animated he is.
Edit 21: Re-added an SB loop that apparently got deleted.
Edit 22: Added hitcircle and hitcircleoverlay, and re-enabled user-chosen skinning.
Edit 23: Added reversearrow, and fixed exactly one hitsound.
Edit 24: New awp timing.
Edit 25: Fixed some notes that needed it. Because apaprently those cymbals aren't in swing time.
Zerostarry
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
m980
Hi

Easy
02:24:58 (4,5) - Throughout the map, there are these combos. You should move these further from eachother.

Normal
/me agrees with Zerostarry
Nevermind. It sounds fine for some reason now.

Insane
01:52:16 (3) - Move this so spacing from 2-3 is equal to 3-4.

Awesome Map. I'd love to see this ranked.
/me real stars
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

m980 wrote:

Easy
02:24:58 (4,5) - Throughout the map, there are these combos. You should move these further from eachother.
But if I move them farther apart, they'll be as far apart as whole ticks when they're only 2/3 away. Wouldn't that be confusing?

m980 wrote:

Normal
/me agrees with Zerostarry
I don't agree with this, but if it's unanimous I guess I should change it. :| I don't have any ideas, though. What exactly about it sounds weird? The hitsounds? Note 3? Note 5? The sliders ending on purple ticks?
Sinistro
How about adding about 10 ms to all offsets?

The rhythm patterns for 1/3 are just fine, but I'm hesitant with the intuitiveness of the spacing. It could easily be my unfamiliarity with the song and the 1/3 mapping though. Maybe a spacing nazi expert could check if spacing is within acceptable deviation from Distance Snap.

Other than that, great work :)
Mogsy
I actually thought the spacing looked fine to me.

Well, this gets a Mogsy bubble. I had fun with this map, despite it being too hard for me (being more rusty than a two hundred year old nail). There's no problems with this to me, either.
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Oh my timing~
First offset is early by about 8ms.15886? Maybe 15888 for lulz.
Second timing section's offset is 31800?
And I think the third timing section is 181.00 and 58254 or so.
Fourth offset is about 67505 and BPM is 181.3
Delete 5th offset and 6th offset

In spite of that, the tosser's not even snapped >=| Bug me to check again later
awp
The second timing section has now become the third - it's still a tad early imo - I overshot it earlier so we could meet halfway at 31796? Give it a try. You'll liiiiiiiiiiiike it.

[Easy]
00:58:24 (8) - a few ms late. Use the previous timing section to snap it as oppose to the new one: 00:58:22.

[Normal]
Overall I find it hard to get into the swing of things in the first 37 seconds. The patterns line up with the main theme off and on and mentally I just can't break away from it. It doesn't sound all that super in the editor either =(
Also, it needs a resnap, so I've resnapped at 1/6 to see how it goes...

...The rest of it went pretty awpsomely. Apart from that initial pattern I liked it enough to MISS THE GODDAMN BUS AH FUCK AFK
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

Zerostarry wrote:

00:26:45~00:37:04 - Sounds weird :/

awp wrote:

Overall I find it hard to get into the swing of things in the first 37 seconds.
Perhaps it's inevitable that this part gets changed. Only problem is, I can't think of what to do with this section except maybe map it just to white ticks, which is... boring... :<
Hitoshirenu Shourai
James
hohohoho overlapping spinners on hard~
hohohoho ninja spinners on hard~
hohohoho sliders overlapping itself on hard~
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

James wrote:

hohohoho overlapping spinners on hard~
hohohoho ninja spinners on hard~
hohohoho sliders overlapping itself on hard~
Fixed, mostly fixed, and no u there's nothing wrong with it. It's not confusing enough to hurt playability. fixed because it doesn't really matter either way.
Mogsy
Okay, seriously, I have no problems with this now, personally. Mogsy bubble go~

awp
NAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

[Easy]
00:19:85 (6) - snapped to a 1/6 or 1/8 or something odd on the tail, take it back to the 1/2 @ 20:348
00:22:49 (3) - this'n too?
00:48:97 (3,4,5) - While I'm nitpicking, shift these a tad to the right so no overlap.
00:58:22 (8) - Need another inherited timing section before this note if you want it to be soft when players hit early.
01:15:99 (5) - Move left a tad.
02:12:35 (1) - Again, timing section should be earlier, or early hits won't be soft.

[Normal]
00:54:25 (8) - Beatspacing. It's too close to 7.
01:00:78 (1,3) - These sliders sound way early to me ;___;

[Insane]
00:20:40 (7) - on the 1/2 beat maybe?
01:00:78 (7,9) - damn it these sound early !!!
02:14:89 (7) - >=( How is this not early
Some of the notes in the end (03:38:28 (1) and on) sound a bit fishy.

Damn I was hoping to rank this map but I'd never properly looked at it.
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

awp wrote:

00:48:97 (3,4,5) - While I'm nitpicking, shift these a tad to the right so no overlap.
01:15:99 (5) - Move left a tad.
00:54:25 (8) - Beatspacing. It's too close to 7.
01:00:78 (1,3) - These sliders sound way early to me ;___;
01:00:78 (7,9) - damn it these sound early !!!
02:14:89 (7) - >=( How is this not early
Some of the notes in the end (03:38:28 (1) and on) sound a bit fishy.
Fixed. Added another timing section near the end because it did sound a bit sloppy timing-wise.

awp wrote:

00:19:85 (6) - snapped to a 1/6 or 1/8 or something odd on the tail, take it back to the 1/2 @ 20:348
00:22:49 (3) - this'n too?
00:20:40 (7) - on the 1/2 beat maybe?
Nothing in this entire song is on 1/2. Do you think it needs more timing sections?

Also, storyboarding on Insane. But due to a glitch in the Matrix, you can only view it as intended in the editor mode for "Real One". So hopefully that'll be under control soon, and I can finish SBing it.
awp
wtf why is only Insane SB'd? Anyhow, the paper at the start's kinda hard to read, but you get the gist of it if you focus hard enough. The little things like the bat that flies by is cool, but you need more of that.

I recommend forcing osu! default as the skin, because under certain skins the custom hitcircle counters look just plain weird.

The ending animation is also a little glitched? It animates too fast (imo) and there's no fadeout, it just goes *blip*. Also the second loop of the animation ends too quickly, as if there are frames missing post-rawr.

There's a timing point at 31892 on Insane that should be at 31796. Also, I think the BPM in that section is 181.693 or so. I'm still not completely comfortable with the timing on this song >=|
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock
Wojjan
First, you don't HAVE to follow my advise, I'm not a BAT

Easy

00:49:60 (5) - Make this a slider ending 1 beat after
00:52:25 (5) - Same
00:58:24 (8) - Place a combo mark
00:58:90 (1) - Remove a combo mark
01:01:88 (5) - Delete, you're making an easy here
01:08:82 (1-9) - Definitely not easy material. If you could, place the beats on the um... "lyrics"
01:14:11 (1-8,1-5) - Same deal
02:03:75 (5) - Make this a slider ending 1 beat after
02:06:39 (5) - Same
02:08:38 (3,4) - This feels a little wrong, but it's prolly just me
02:20:30 (1) - End at 02:21:96
02:22:95 (1-9,1-9) - Place the beats on the lyrics

Normal

00:30:10 (8) - Start doesn't fit, make this a beat at the end
00:35:42 (8) - Place 1 beat later, and fix spacing with 9
01:44:24 (8) - Delete
02:18:64 (4) - Place 1/3 later
02:20:30 (9,1) - Delete 9, start spinner there
02:38:17 (6) - Place whistles on start and end

Insane (Insane 1, that is)

01:43:90 (3) - Don't like it
01:45:45 (6) - Make this a beat at end
02:20:63 (1) - Start 1 beat earlier

For storyboarding, I'd love more shady guys barging in. That one guy kinda goes unnoticed.

That's all
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

Wojjan wrote:

First, you don't HAVE to follow my advise, I'm not a BAT
Well, of course. But any modding is good modding; it's experience for you and recommendations for me. We have different mapping styles, I guess, since a lot of your modding struck me as "weeeell, I could do it like that, buuut...". As for the difficulty issues in "Easy", I decided to give the map custom difficulty names instead, something I've been meaning to do for a while. I took a couple things into account for Medium and Insane, and was inspired to remap a bit of Insane.

Download: Megurine Luka - Corruption Garden (Garven) [;p;].osu
show more