forum

Converted map vs Taiko map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nit0ri
So i just started playing taiko yesterday (i had already tried it but i had like 1 hour of playtime) and i don't know that much about the game.
I was just wondering if it was bad to play converted beatmap, am i gonna start having bad habit or something because of this?

Thanks for answering and sorry for my terrible english:)
Nao Tomori
convert generally are lower quality than mode specific, and past a certain difficulty level become really unreliable in terms of actual difficulty. better to play mode specific maps~
Das
As a professional convert player and high ranked player myself I can assure you that playing converts is not in any way a bad thing. Playing converts can help you slowly adjust to learning patterns and most importantly establishing the foundation for your accuracy skills. Converts tend to usually have WAY higher OD's than taiko specific maps and the Higher the OD the smaller the hitbox area is for the notes therefore making it harder to achieve higher accuracy. Converts also keep you on your toes as no one convert is the same due to the magic of auto conversion. Most taiko maps from the 3-4* range usually play the same (obviously not in bpm) but generally contain all the same patterns over and over again leaving you essentially playing the same thing over and over again in variation. This is all my opinion but I 100% believe that converts have helped me improve and basically we're how I learned how to play taiko.
roufou
I recommend playing kantan or futsuu over the slider hell a lot of normals and easies can be
Rimazii
Taiko maps are better than converted map because of the patterns. Converted maps has simple pattern usually something like "d d d k d d d k" or having fast approaching notes while taiko maps has well constructed patterns like "dkddk / kdkkd" which sometimes sounds good while playing. But i'm not saying you should never play a convert, playing convert is not actually a bad thing, you can learn some stuffs from there especially accuracy because converts has more OD than normal taiko maps.

All I can say is don't play convert maps always to improve. It's best to start on taiko specific maps.
Li77L3
Although it is recommended that you play mode specific maps instead of converts, it won't really cause any "bad" habits. I play converts all the time because...

1. I am already used to the Osu versions of my maps
2. There are songs that I like that don't have Taiko versions
3. They're still fun

So no, you don't have to worry, play what you want and you'll get better at the game by just practicing.