forum

OTW: The Osu! Tournament Watch (tourny list & newsletter)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
(Alt title: The I-Swear-I-Will-Not-Send-You-Spam Newsletter)

Note: I am no longer maintaining this list by checking the tourny forum every day. If you're interested in helping out, contact me. Otherwise the list will only function if volunteers enter in tournaments into the list by themselves.

1. The OTW is a comprehensive list of all tournaments open for registration, sorted by registration deadline.
  2. It takes your player information and preferences, and sends you biweekly email updates about tournaments you're eligible for that matches your preferences, but only if there are updates you haven't already been emailed about.
  3. It saves time for players looking to join tournaments, but are too lazybusy to trawl through the forum all the time for tournaments that match them.
  4. Tournament hosts can enter their tournament into the list, and notifications will be sent to players who are interested in their tournament specifically. Will make it easier for hosts to find players and helpers.
  5. Your email and player information will be kept private, and it lets you edit your preferences or delete yourself from the list entirely.
  6. Your PP for all gamemodes, osu!country and osu!username will be updated daily, so that it can notify you about the tournaments you are eligible for at all times.
  7. The newsletter is automated, because I'm too lazy to write emails myself. If you see anything that even remotely looks a bug, please tell me! I will also appreciate feedback and suggestions of any kind.

The Spreadsheet
Subscribe to the newsletter
Enter a tournament into the list

Example email
The email updates you will get will look something like this, and yes you will get emails from "Mio Winter" because I'm too lazy to make a new google account just for this.

Tournament hosts
I've filled out forms for all currently open tournaments that I could find, so if you see your tournament on the list and some of its details are wrong, please go to the spreadsheet and select "Edit" from the rightmost column.
Thank you. : )

How did you make this?
If somehow spreadsheets are superinteresting to you (you're weird, but you're not alone) and you want to see how I did things, you can access a frozen copy of the spreadsheet cleared of all sensitive information here. Select "File"->"Make a copy..." to copy it into your own google drive so you can experiment with it. Go to "Tools"->"Script editor" to see the scripts.

WHY did you make this?
I wanted to learn how to because learning it was usefwl to me. And because I thought it could be mildly usefwl to someone, sometime, maybe?
Kasumi-sama
Looks interesting, good stuff <o/
Misery
The thing about this is that it's gonna be irrelevant once (https://osu.ppy.sh/community/tournaments) takes community tournaments into account. Still though, hopefully you could make this work.

...or people can just look at the tournaments subforum. It's easier, and it doesn't take too much time finding one (it's takes like 20 seconds to look at a forum post to see if you qualify and like five minutes to see currently active ones.) Committed tournament players don't need this thing since they know tournaments anyway. Filthy casuals benefit from this better. Kappa
Angelina
Idk if biweekly would be enough especially for first come first serve basis tournies but cool concept nonetheless
Kasumi-sama

Misery wrote:

The thing about this is that it's gonna be irrelevant once (https://osu.ppy.sh/community/tournaments) takes community tournaments into account. Still though, hopefully you could make this work.
the thing is, are they ever gonna actually implement it?
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

BalancedFury wrote:

Idk if biweekly would be enough especially for first come first serve basis tournies but cool concept nonetheless
Yeah, some tournaments seem to just open and close registration within a few days. But I don't want to spam people on the list too much either, and biweekly seems enough for most tournaments.
-Haruki
Sounds interesting, good luck with your Project.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

[Haruki-Sagae] wrote:

Sounds interesting, good luck with your Project.

Thank you!

Also, the "-", "[" and "]" in your username messed up my REGEXREPLACE, so your email was wrong... Says that "osu!taiko" is matching for you for example. I'm terribly sorry lol. I've fixed it now, and will send you a correct email (sorry for the double.. D: !).
-Haruki

Mio Winter wrote:

Thank you!

Also, the "-", "[" and "]" in your username messed up my REGEXREPLACE, so your email was wrong... Says that "osu!taiko" is matching for you for example. I'm terribly sorry lol. I've fixed it now, and will send you a correct email (sorry for the double.. D: !).
No Problem, good that you take care of it so quickly.
RockStyle
Nice feature, I will try to invite Tournament hosts I know into this!

On the spreadsheet in the Tournament tab, some country limitations get cut off because the column is too small.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

RockStyle wrote:

Nice feature, I will try to invite Tournament hosts I know into this!

On the spreadsheet in the Tournament tab, some country limitations get cut off because the column is too small.

Thanks!

And yeah, that's on purpose. I mean, the country limit for the Asian Taiko Showdown 2018 would look like this: "AF, BD, BT, IO, BN, KH, CN, TP, GU, HK, IN, ID, JP, KZ, KP, KR, KG, LA, MO, MY, MV, MN, MM, NR, NP, MP, PK, PW, PH, SG, LK, TJ, TW, TH, TM, SU, UZ, VN, AF, BD, BT, IO, BN, KH, CN, TP, GU, HK, IN, ID, JP, KZ, KP, KR, KG, LA, MO, MY, MV, MN, MM, NR, NP, MP, PK, PW, PH, SG, LK, TJ, TW, TH, TM, SU, UZ, VN, RU".

And I don't want to make my cells that big. The values in the cell are still usefwl for filtering eligibility of players while sending emails, though. And on the spreadsheet, you can just see that there's something in the country limit cell, and therefore know to check the forum post or just the tournament name.
Dem
Nice idea
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
Updated the script so that it sends emails to players who have never received an email before, even if no tournaments match them and they've answered "Yes, I only want emails about tournaments that match me".

This is because if they don't get an email saying "No tournaments matching you at the moment, check back later!" the first day they sign up, they'll be left wondering whether the script even works or if they signed up correctly.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
Updated the script so that you can list competitions that aren't necessarily tournaments, like for example the MotW - Map of the Week [Monthly] competition. Just answer "yes" to the question about whether it's always open, and don't set a deadline.

Oh, and I may have accidentally told the four latest players who subscribed that the MotW competition ends registrations at 1st of January, 1970... So sorry about that! That has been fixed now.

__

Update2: I made it so that it no longer filters preferences for "type of tournament", since I think that doesn't really capture what players want to filter out/in, and usually the tournament title indicates what type it is anyway. If a host makes HD tournament, then the title will usually be "HD tournament" something.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
A type error while I was testing something caused me to send wrong emails to the last 5 subscribers. I'm very sorry, and I've sent correct emails now. Sorry for the doubles! >.<
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
Biggest messup yet. A lot of bad things happened when the spreadsheet scripts exceeded maximium limit for execution time. I've made some changes to make sure that doesn't happen again until the number approaches ~700 subscribers, so it should be fine for now.
RockStyle
i unsubscribed 3 times now and i still get the emails...
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

RockStyle wrote:

i unsubscribed 3 times now and i still get the emails...

I'm really sorry, but can you describe to me how you unsubscribe? Did you check your email and edited your original form, check the "Do you want to delete this entry?" and then press "submit" again? I tested it now and it should work.

Don't worry if it doesn't work, I'll just manually delete you from the list.

Edit: Actually, I've changed the form since you made your submission. Maybe that is the problem, even though I don't think it should be.
RockStyle
I made a new form and checked the "unsubscribe" thingy.
Now I edited my original form and checked the "unsubscribe" thingy.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

RockStyle wrote:

I made a new form and checked the "unsubscribe" thingy.
Now I edited my original form and checked the "unsubscribe" thingy.

Yeah, that worked. Thanks a lot for confirming for me. : )
show more