forum

(Taiko)Lacking speed with controller -> Switch to keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Monteasel
I started playing Taiko a few weeks ago and because I also play Project Diva, I thought it would be easier for me to play with a PS3 controller. I can already differentiate between the colours and do some patterns which include alternating.

So my question would be if I should switch to play with the keyboard instead because I am worried that I won't be able to keep up with the speed of more difficult maps(I can nearly play 200-220 BPM maps with colour changes/patterns comfortably; also I tried to play an one colour only 300 BPM map where(when i go in full sweat mode xD) I actually find myself overstreaming some parts thus I think that my problem is my speed with colour changes due to my 2 thumbs only playstyle. Man, that was a long sentence :D ). Or should I try to use the bumper/trigger buttons additionally with my index/middle fingers(what I already tried but it would take me quite a while to get used to this since I would have to learn all the patterns from scratch again). Also I don't really think that it would help me if I would alternate every note since I "singletap"(use my right thumb only) everything that isn't a stream or where I don't feel confident hitting the note without alternating. However when I would alternate every note it would throw my reading completely off since I start every stream and suchlike with my right thumb, which also would be a problem for me as my brain won't "handle" triple streams in quick succession or long streams like k-k-k-d-d-d-k-k-k.

To make a long story(which it definitively was :lol: )short: Should I switch to keyboard, which would take me quite a while to get used to, or try to increase my speed with the controller. :)

It would also interest me if there are any "good" Taiko players, who also play with 2 fingers only, or even use a controller.

Thanks in advance for a reply. :D
BabySnakes
Yes, shinchikuhome the current #1 in taiko plays index only. There are other great players including Jaye and GNKait, it's a viable playstyle but you gotta keep in mind that in the index only playstyle, you're supposed to use one finger to alternate between both colours. I think you could still try to play with thumbs though I wouldn't recommend it. So I'd say you should try getting used to playing on a keyboard with an index only playstyle. And right now's the time to change if you want to. You're still not deep enough into the game for it to be a major rollback in terms of skill.
Topic Starter
Monteasel
Thanks for the reply but I think I will stick to playing with the controller since I recently saw a good controller play ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCcoVgqzY0 ) which kinda encouraged me to get better with the controller and I also think that this playstyle has some slight potential.