forum

Am I really that bad ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheEpicPotato
So I started seriously pplaying o!m in january or so and I'm now able to clear up to 3.2* maps (even if I don't S those) and I have 1.150 pp.

But most players I meet who have about the same play time as me are at least clearing 4* maps with S...
Is it me being really bad, or is it the players I've encountered being really good ?

And if it's me being bad, what may I be doing badly ?

PS: If the english isn'tperfect, i'm sorry it's not my main language ^^
TruthIsNear
77 hours in a span of 5 months is about 30 mins per day. Considering that fact I assume you don't even play every day, which is why you improve very slowly.

Play every day, preferably for at least an hour. Challenge yourself with harder maps. Even if you barely manage to pass a hard map, it's still better than playing same easy maps over and over.
Topic Starter
TheEpicPotato
ok, i'll take your advice and try this since school is now over ^^

but still, a friend of mine has as much play time (acually he played a few hours less) as me and has started seriously playing mania about at the same time as me and he's clearing 4* with S x)
here's his profile ^^: https://osu.ppy.sh/users/10536735
Bobbias
Some people learn really fast. Others learn slow. Im a slow learner. I have about 15 years of rhythm game experience and some people can beat me after less than a year of playing only mania.

Also learning speed is affected by how you play too. People who focus on getting high acc will learn to play harder maps way slower than someone who mostly plays stuff they can only A or B.
Topic Starter
TheEpicPotato
also one thing i wanna ask, when i'm playing maps that I clear with A, B or even C, i feel like i'm just spamming my keys without any pattern... So is it worth playing hard maps to learn ? Even if I feel like I'm doing a complete mess, am I actually learning ?
TruthIsNear
That's a normal feeling. But you can clear those maps, right? So you are not just mindlessly spamming. Muscle memory does the job.

I usually play maps that I get ~93%+ acc on to improve my acc, and play maps where I get B or low A to improve my stamina and reading.

After all, you can't learn difficult patterns without playing them.

Bobbias wrote:

People who focus on getting high acc will learn to play harder maps way slower than someone who mostly plays stuff they can only A or B.
Pretty much this.
Topic Starter
TheEpicPotato
Okay thank y'all for your pieces of advice guys ^^
Dez_old_1
EDIT: This video says what I tried to say with this post but much much better. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFSOkFJ6iE

TruthIsNear wrote:

That's a normal feeling. But you can clear those maps, right? So you are not just mindlessly spamming. Muscle memory does the job.

I usually play maps that I get ~93%+ acc on to improve my acc, and play maps where I get B or low A to improve my stamina and reading.

After all, you can't learn difficult patterns without playing them.
I disagree with all of this.

First of all, you can pass maps while spamming mindlessly. This doesn't teach you any valuable skills except for maybe the ability to vibro through patterns if you're playing fast stuff. If you're getting accuracy below 90% you are just wasting your time, because you are either unable to read the patterns or just too slow to hit the patterns. (This does not apply to very low star maps for beginners because getting low acc like that is normal then).

Bobbias wrote:

People who focus on getting high acc will learn to play harder maps way slower than someone who mostly plays stuff they can only A or B.
Playing stuff that's very easy to you (stuff you can SS without problem) is obviously not going to teach you anything other than accing low star stuff. Unless you're learning a new keymode, or just starting out, you won't learn faster by mashing through stuff that's too hard for you. It is simply a waste of time, in terms of learning. If you want to play for a pass, for fun, or just for the heck of it, by all means mash through the map. I do this all the time because I find it fun, but the only thing it tends to teach me is stamina, but if your goal is to learn to get better fast, you're much better off playing stuff you can comfortably get reasonably high acc on.
LordAverage
Definitely I would say move to easier maps if below 90% acc. Even the low 90%'s of acc I find i'm probably spamming too much to be getting the most out of it. Just play maps you find fun, try lots of new, different maps and check out the community challenges such as the 1st dan etc.
nadavv
play moar
TruthIsNear

Dez wrote:

First of all, you can pass maps while spamming mindlessly.
Not if it's HP9+, but maybe our definitions of "spamming mindlessly" are different.

Dez wrote:

I disagree with all of this.
I did say that I play maps in my comfort zone or a bit out of it (~93%+ acc), which is what was suggested in that video.

And I play challenging maps for a pass, because it's hella fun and improves stamina (even you agreed on that). I also mentioned that it improves reading, because when I see that HP bar going down, I try really hard to stay alive and hit those patterns correctly. Maybe it's not much, but still.

This might not fully apply to 3* maps though.
Bobbias
The exposure to higher density in maps you struggle on as well as patterning you dont have much experience with will teach you reading, even if your spamming to pass them. Its the very act of trying to read that acts as practice.

I'll be the first person to point out that I personally spend far too much time mashpassing stuff instead of working on improving my acc, but I also happen to have more than 15 years experience with rhythm games, and have seen exactly how focusing on acc over mashpasses affects my skill.

If you can get over about 97%, you can already read things fine (assuming the 97 isnt due to one pattern just raping your acc) and all your doing is improving on your execution.

What I'm advocating for is a balance between all levels of difficulty, ranging from mashpasses to stuff you can 99 consistently. By spreading your practice across all levels of difficulty, you get practice of every type, rather than only focusing on refining your ability to hit easier patterns.
[TAS]
So I will start off with something that I don't believe was said before. A rank 38k and 20k shouldn't really be near each other in skill anyways. That's almost 20k ranks higher then you. That's like me competing against jakads or zyph and me saying I cant compete with them. Of course its true because our skill levels are vastly different even though im only about 13k behind them. As your rank gets higher and higher (except for maybe the top 1k players) the difference in rank matters more and more. I wouldn't be able to compete with the players in the top 10k most of the time, even though I'm only ~3k away from them.

Now im going to totally contradict what i just said and say rank doesn't determine your skill. It determines your skill for only a few songs in the game and that's it. Since I don't play ranked a ton I don't feel comfortable saying it has 'very generic patterns and will mind block you if you play them to much' but that's what I have heard.

Don't regard a players skill by how much time he puts into this game. First of all this is bad because your assuming everyone learns at the same rate which is not true. Also there are many different factors to this. What if they came from another game? What if they have the same amount of hours in as you but they play for 5hrs a day and you only play for an hour? etc etc...

What I can tell you is people have different play styles. Find what style suits you and go for it. Play more and have fun and with time you will get better :D Also since players are getting better and better its getting harder and harder to just keep your rank that your at. So just keep in mind your improving a lot even if your rank is staying the same.
NightNarumi
Everything that is below 89% is way too challenging considering his level of play right now, I would recommend practicing on maps where you have an A on and trying to completely hit every note without ‘spamming’
SednA
No, you're not bad. It's important to remember that rank, pp, and the stars rating system for mania are all not that accurate. You shouldn't focus on others' improvement and compare it to your own. The best thing you can do is compare yourself with yourself. When trying to improve yourself, stick to Local Ranking when checking the leaderboard and have your goal always be to beat your high score on a map. Try not to mind the difficulty rating for songs, it pains me to admit there are still 2* maps I only have a B on. When playing this game, you should have fun and be proud of your accomplishments, no matter how minor they may seem. Even beating your high score by 1% is something you should be proud of.

Spamming on maps isn't necessarily bad, I only see it becoming bad when you get in the habit of spamming on hard sections of maps. I think it's important to expose yourself to maps beyond your level, but you should be working on making B's into A's and A's into S's more.

I agree with everything [TAS] said. I've met many people that believe that rank, play time, and level are all measurements of skill, potential, talent, etc. That's not true at all. What really matters in this game is wellroundedness. I think this is best shown in tournaments (I'm not that experienced with tournaments, so I might be wrong about this lol, feel free to contradict me on this older players). My first tournament, I got my ass kicked in the qualifiers because I didn't like playing LN maps, didn't practice them, and did terribly on them. It taught me a lesson and I've done a lot of practicing with LN since then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is relying on numbers like your rank, your level, your playtime, etc will hinder your improvement. People that play pp maps to boost their rank become the most disappointed when they stop gaining rank when they run out of pp maps. Players will avoid using HR because it makes their scores unranked and they don't gain rank. Players will avoid low-rated maps, even though they struggle with the patterns in them, because their star count is low. People will never even try going beyond 4k to the higher keycounts because they can gain rank faster focusing only on 4k. Try to remember that as long as you practice, you're becoming better, even if it doesn't seem like you are.
HeyImNik
yes, play more
show more