forum

Songs to practice on/Tips for advancing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UghThatGuyAgain
Hey there! I'm quite a fresh osu!taiko player, only playing for maybe a month and a half, and just like normal osu, there seems to be quite a gap between 3 stars to 4 stars. I've been reading around for techniques to get better, and it just says muscle memory (which is understandable considering its basically a pattern game), but I can't find many maps that are decent to practice on that gives me the chance to see more of these difficult patterns in a slower bpm that I can handle and get used to.

I already have the ddk and kkd down (somewhat kdd and ddk), but the higher patterns like dkddk or dkkkd (and the reverse in colors) are really what get me. Do you guys have recommendations for maps that are good for practicing these? My last resort is going in and playing the maps with the half time mod on until I can get it down just so I have something to practice on.

Oh also, for you dkkd players out there who use two fingers on each, do you find it easier to hit dkd (dkdkd, etc) and the reverse colors by switching between one hand (index middle index) or using two hands (index on left, middle on right)?
roufou
I strongly recommend using both hands for patterns like dkdkd, even though I don't.
itszhi
I'm not an expert in the game yet but I've been playing for a while and I suggest mint's Oni in Senbonzakura. To me, the notes don't come too fast. You are able to practice some patterns like ddkkd and kkkkd, and also train how to switch hands.

If that level is too hard for you try the previous levels :D

Link:
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/79531#taiko/222208
minicasu
this thread has in my opinion the best maps to learn most of the patterns in taiko followed by a list of songs that contain those patterns to master them. those maps helped me lots in learning patterns overall
Mithos
I have the same question, but a little higher up. I can hit all the patterns in TBT with minimal issue and have been playing for years, but have hit a huge plateau moving from 5*->6* that i've been stuck on for almost 7 months! I keep trying to play new harder maps but when it comes to faster BPMs (230+) or just higher note density I'm just having trouble making any progress. Anyone have any tips?
show more