forum

Kinjishi - Nageki no Ki

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Matrix
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, October 11, 2019 at 4:52:55 PM

Artist: Kinjishi
Title: Nageki no Ki
Source: beatmaniaIIDX 13 DistorteD
Tags: dj taka dancedancerevolution takayuki ishikawa beatmania iidx cardinal gate
BPM: 160
Filesize: 4656kb
Play Time: 02:01
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (3.61 stars, 310 notes)
  2. Insane (5.08 stars, 572 notes)
  3. Normal (2.25 stars, 219 notes)
Download: Kinjishi - Nageki no Ki
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------

The tree of lamentation.

I've never had as much trouble writing a song before as I have with this one.
No, that's not true. It's not that it was difficult. I didn't know what I should write.
I've written so many OMES songs before. It's not something to get worked up over anymore.
However, this song is the king of kings who appears after you beat the four kings.
However, the one who bears the burden of the celestial kings can only be an exemplar recognized by everyone.

With all that in mind, what should I write?
Drum'n'bass? Would happy hardcore work? Maybe some baroque mixture? Everything I tried to picture just came out as a regular king. I just passed time without ever finding the king of kings.

It can't be some existing style. It has to be something that's never been in IIDX.

... something that hasn't existed before.

Those words triggered a memory of a certain musical style.

Atonal music.
At around the turn of the century, a certain group of musicians became tired of writing music that conformed to the existing musical concepts centering around the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do scale, and began to study a new type of music that would completely overturn the foundations of conventional musical theory. This "experiment" garnered praise from a certain set of music fans and has continued even to this day in various forms, but it's not really that accessible to most people, and it's extremely rare that it shows up on the mainstream music scene.
By the way, minimalist techno is usually considered to have developed from the 12-tone technique that grew out of the atonal music movement, but that's probably another story for another time.

The atonal music experiments from 100 years ago. This fits our image perfectly, doesn't it?
Yet, all that remained in my memory were hazy recollections of music classes long ago, and I really didn't know anything about modern music. And I didn't have any time to learn.
Relying on my own senses, I started work on a dissonant, strange, intense music. The chords and scales you think about when making normal music don't exist here, and it felt a lot like putting together the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

Still, I could never quite hit upon what I was trying to create, other people didn't really seem to get it, and even I couldn't understand the piece that well, so I added some Baroque-styled themes to develop the song which ended up giving it a very game-music style essence.
The song truly came to life when GOLI gave it the name "Nageki no ki".

Come to think of it, if I'd never had to make a song to be the king of kings, this song would never have been born.
As I'm ensnared by its peculiar sense, I have to give thanks to beatmania IIDX for giving me this opportunity.