forum

Can't hear the basic "hit" sound anymore. [Resolved in b74]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
I've noticed that the base "hit" sound (the one when you hit a marker, regardless of Finish or Whistle) is no longer playing in play mode OR in edit mode. Perhaps it's been deleted, or perhaps something else...? Either way, this is quite strange. Any idea what happened?
peppy
Do all other sounds play OK? (finish/whistle)
Is this the case even after you restart the game?
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth

peppy wrote:

Do all other sounds play OK? (finish/whistle)
Is this the case even after you restart the game?
Yes, to both questions.
peppy
As a test - can you place any old wav or mp3 file in the same directory as osu!.exe with the filename hitnormal.wav (has to be .wav, even if its an mp3) and see if this plays when hitting a circle?

thanks
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
Tried it with a .wav from another folder on my computer. Still not hearing anything.
peppy
This might be an obvious question, but do you have the effect volume set lowish in options? I just noticed that if it is below 20% the normal sound will not play, while the others will. (Sorry - just have to go through all the cases before I look deeper into this one - haven't heard of this problem until now :()
Topic Starter
ZZT the Fifth
I dunno how it got that way, but that was the problem. Thanks! :D

...Now I have to get back my old hitnormal.wav, though. @_@
peppy
Phew! I was really worried for a moment there :s.

You can just delete that wav file and the old one will be played. But alas - you now know the secret of loading custom hit sounds! This will be reimplemented in a better way in the future though, which is why it is totally undocumented.

Just to update you - I have been working on break sections and will probably have the code in place to run them tonight. I unfortunately have not had time to start on adding them in the editor. The syntax will be very straight forward, though so if all is working okay in tonight's release I will pass on an example of how to add these sections.

Keep up the bug reporting - I really want to get this game more stable asap :). The hits should still be audible at low volumes, so I'll classify this as a bug still.
HoverZero
Wow this was a long time ago, but the same thing is happening to me now. I checked the files and all the sound are there and my effect volume is turned up to 100. So I really have to clue what's happening. I know this probably won't get to you, but help would be great because I rely on the normal hit sound a lot when I play Mania. :(
Pawsu

HoverZero wrote:

Wow this was a long time ago, but the same thing is happening to me now. I checked the files and all the sound are there and my effect volume is turned up to 100. So I really have to clue what's happening. I know this probably won't get to you, but help would be great because I rely on the normal hit sound a lot when I play Mania. :(
Make a new thread. Why would you bump a 9 year old outdated one?