forum

Hedley - Narcissist

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
0_o
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on April 25, 2009 at 1:46:09 AM

Artist: Hedley
Title: Narcissist
Tags: punk rock famous last words
BPM: 174
Filesize: 5056kb
Play Time: 03:02
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (3,38 stars, 233 notes)
  2. Insane (4,7 stars, 303 notes)
  3. Normal (3,09 stars, 136 notes)
Download: Hedley - Narcissist
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
One of my favourite songs by the Canadian band Hedley.
Normal is a fairly easy Normal
Hard is a fairly easy Hard
Insane.. I think fits =P
Skyripper
First of all, cool song 8-). BPM and offset look great. Also, timing sections look properly arranged.

Hitsounds are well done and I really like the big circle slider :D.

00:30:55 (1) - This slider ALMOST sounds late to the beat, if you pull its length down to 31:241 and make it repeat one more time I think it sounds better (this might just be preference)

00:49:86 (5) - Move the end of this to the white line directly behind it (i.e. 050:552)

I personally think this sounds better with slider-tick 2 and it makes your score a little more proportionate to the song. Experiment and see what you like best!

Don't forget to put tags on this in song info and make at least another difficulty

Keep up the great mapping :)
Topic Starter
0_o
First of all, cool song 8-). BPM and offset look great. Also, timing sections look properly arranged.

Hitsounds are well done and I really like the big circle slider :D.
Thank you very much! :)

00:30:55 (1) - This slider ALMOST sounds late to the beat, if you pull its length down to 31:241 and make it repeat one more time I think it sounds better (this might just be preference)
I kind of see what you mean, but I sort of like the syncopated-ness, and I set it up to portray the "reflection in the glass" in that part. If anyone else has a problem with it though then I guess I could change it

00:49:86 (5) - Move the end of this to the white line directly behind it (i.e. 050:552)
I'm a little unsure of what you mean here, could you clarify? (post a screenshot perhaps?)

I personally think this sounds better with slider-tick 2 and it makes your score a little more proportionate to the song. Experiment and see what you like best!
I tried it and it is kind of interesting, I'll keep it for a bit and see if it rubs off on me.

Don't forget to put tags on this in song info and make at least another difficulty
Will do :) Although, I'm not sure whether to call this difficulty Normal or Hard, so I want to get that sorted out before making an Easy/Insane..

Keep up the great mapping :)
Thanks, I'll certainly try :P I've kind of been hooked on it lately.. much to my university workload's dismay...
Skyripper
Glad I could help a bit!

00:49:86 (5) - You fixed it! I just meant move the end of the slider to the white line.

:)

(stops typing to test)

Andddd, everything sounds really good! 8-)

Maybe call this Hard? Well actually I'm not even sure. I'll leave it up to you, but I will say it's a little harder than a Normal beatmap.
Topic Starter
0_o
All right, Normal is now Hard, there is a new Normal, and Insane is on the way :D

I cut Normal off right before the slow part, hope that's ok.. also I tried 2x tick rate with Normal but it just didn't feel right to me.

:)
Topic Starter
0_o
Just a question about my Insane so far, after the first chorus I went from mapping strictly to the lyrics (like Hard) to mapping to a rhythm as well as the lyrics. Is what I have OK, or should I stick to one or the other?
Skyripper
It's perfectly okay as long as it makes sense and you transition well. If it isn't easy to follow don't do it.

If it makes sense to you it most likely will make sense. Just put yourself in someone else's shoes.

I forgot to star this! Fixed!
Topic Starter
0_o
All right, This map is officially complete and ready for modding! :)
Skyripper
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
0_o
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Yuukari-Banteki
[Normal]
00:29:17 (1) - flip this so that it isnt covered by the preceding notes
01:06:93 (1) - stack the end of this neatly under the end of the previous 1
01:50:55 (1) - remove the break after this. it isnt necessary...and the other one after the next spinner
nice slider art btw

[Hard]
00:41:24 (5,6) - these two look kinda ugly with 5 covering 6
01:44:34 (6) - looks bad underneath 2 and 3
02:04:69 (1) - this slow section drains like 1/4 of your HP bar

[Insane]
00:29:68 (5) - stack this more neatly under the end of the prev. slider
00:47:79 (3) - ^
01:25:55 (8,9) - sounds weird
01:29:51 (4) - stack end under the start of 3!
01:47:79 (1) - looks ugly partly covered by 2 and 3
01:50:55 (1,1,1) - it would be great if you could just put a few beats between these spinners instead of breaks
02:47:79 (7) - stack neatly under 5
03:02:62 (1,1,1) - make this all one spinner ^-^ the random spinner ends are annoying~

have a nice shiny star
Topic Starter
0_o
Detective Tuesday
Nice, you get a star for this one.

Only thing that stuck out to me as potentially problematic was at 2:44:347 in Hard. The spacing seems pretty close as compared to the rest of the section. Other than that, I didn't have any problems. I particularly liked what you did with the slowdown, it's one of the best examples of how slowdowns SHOULD be used.
Topic Starter
0_o
Yeah the closeness there was intentional, I think it helps build the tension at the end.

Thanks for the comments :)
RemmyX25
Topic Starter
0_o
OK, these are the only things I have issues with
Normal:
01:16:93 (3) - Not distance snapped correctly, but moving it INSIDE the slider would be a bad idea imo... EDIT: In thinking this over, you could probably disregard this comment.
Disregarded :P

01:17:44 (1) - Not distance snapped correctly, this should be near the right side of the play field
erm, I checked this and the snap was fine.. maybe this was with your above change?

Hard:
02:15:72 (1) - Extend this to 02:17:795, sounds better to me
idk, this sounds late to me..

02:29:17 (1) - Mixed feelings about an extremely long spinner like this.
I'll keep it for now, I like the build-up here

02:55:89 (1,2,3,4) - Try not to stack different rhythms like this
02:58:65 (1,2,3,4) - And these.
If it was the middle of the song or so then I would probably agree here, but I think by now the player has a good idea of the rhythm here and these stacks would be intuitive. Plus I'm kind of attached to the pattern visually..

Insane:
02:20:89 (5,6,7) - These should be farther apart, imo
I want to stick with the slowed down effect here, and idk, I just like how this feels

02:55:89 (1,2,3,4) - (in regards to the same spot on [Hard] Aaaannnd these.
02:58:65 (1,2,3,4) - aaaaaaannd these.
02:58:65 (1,2,3,4) - Yea, i think you get the point.
Same as hard

03:02:62 (1,1,1) - Not too fond of the spinner spam here...
blahh.. fine :P two votes in a row for this so I'll merge them (again lol)

I made the rest of your suggestions :D I kind of feel bad for shutting so many of these down but I'm just very pleased with my final product here, and I don't want to make too many changes unless they are really necessary. If any other BATs feel strongly about any of these changes that I didn't make then I will go back and do them, but for now I'm gonna hold out on them.'

Thanks for the mod! I really do appreciate it. Congrats on your new BAT status :)
RemmyEDIT: Thanks Much <3
K2J
[Normal]

00:08:82 (1) - Too close to previous note.
00:20:20 (2) - Consider flipping.
01:17:44 (1) - More circular?

[Hard]

00:12:62 (9,10) - Center
02:20:89 (5,6,7) - I think this is fine, but you may want to consider spacing it out.

[Insane]

01:17:44 (1) - Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

Pretty good - starred.
Topic Starter
0_o
Yuukari-Banteki
Topic Starter
0_o
Changed what I thought was necessary ^_^ ALthough I think a lot of the stacking issues you brought up are really only noticable in the editor.

I DO really like your suggestion w/ the cresendo in Insane, but how do I increase the volume of the sampleset when it's already at max volume?

Thanks! :D
show more