forum

Mindless Self Indulgence - Straight To Video

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 at 1:20:08 AM

Artist: Mindless Self Indulgence
Title: Straight To Video
BPM: 123
Filesize: 5489kb
Play Time: 03:41
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (4.52 stars, 307 notes)
  2. Harder (4.91 stars, 390 notes)
  3. Normal (3.75 stars, 250 notes)
Download: Mindless Self Indulgence - Straight To Video
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Apparently I've been meaning to beatmap this song for a while now. It became very apparent to me early on in the production of this beatmap that it was meant to be beatmapped. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Last update March 4th
Rolled
Timing's perfect duh

Normal's spot on. Works great, etc etc asskiss etc.

Insane felt overmapped and a little stale for my taste. It's like, here's a straight line, have a triangle, and some boxes. Could use a bit more, like, variety in my opinion. The map as a whole felt a little back and forth as opposed to flowing from beginning to end.

I don't think straight to video was meant for an insane difficulty, it's a pretty slow song vocally and stuff. It's pretty easy to throw a few 1/4th streams with small circles into any song and call it insane, but I just don't think every song is meant to have an insane difficulty. I'd like to see a difficulty that's pretty balanced between these two. Normal is great, insane is eh, playable I guess. Just didn't impress me all that much and it's not completely what I expected.

Now that the harshness is out of the way, the 2x BPM SB worked great. Sight read it easily. Only thing that stumbled me up were the triangles. You either have to know which way they go, or take a split second to realize. No auto-pilotting allowed on this difficulty.

Since there is technically nothing wrong with the map, you can by all means tell me to fuck off and bubble it anyway. I have no reason other than desire for an in-between difficulty to not bubble this.
Topic Starter
awp
LH suggested I make a Hard difficulty and I said okay to that. Other than that, I intend to leave Insane as it is. I might play with it a bit, but I'm not making any promises.
CheeseWarlock
DEFYING AWPSETS TIME well 8,003 is 5ms off from what you had but still

Normal looks and plays fine. Insane, like Rolled said, is fundamentally fine but could stand some improvements. But it's rankable as-is.

[Hard]
02:22:39 - Ohai 8 seconds of unnecessary non-break emptiness.
02:28:49 (1) - This be dangerous waters, captain. Nothing but malformed sliders all the way to Skull Island.

On Hard and Insane, I was jonesin' for some more 2x BPM sliders near the end.

Skyripper
*is just here to star this map that he highly enjoys*
LuigiHann
why are there two insanes

Hard - 02:05:08 (4,1) - The break here is broken. Remove it and re-add it. Or uh... add notes there if that was the plan.
Topic Starter
awp
Hard's 63% done

EDIT: (that was in the OP, hard's now 100% done though I forgot to do some hitsounds oops)

Also I had checked Cheese's timing and disagreed with it before, but now all of a sudden it sounds more correct. I don't know, go figure.

Crap adding sounds to Hard.
Yuukari-Banteki
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
awp

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

[Normal]
00:45:32 (5) - delete and re-place the break after this note
01:32:15 (5) - ^
No.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

02:28:49 (1) - i would prefer this to be stacked on the fading 4
Yeah, fair enough.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

02:58:98 (5) - 'nother break that needs fixing
Again, no.
Watch all three beatmaps on a multiscreen if you don't get why this is done the way it is.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

[Hard]
nice 2xbpm warning
01:58:73 (4) - uh, could you make this equidistant from 2 and 3? its slightly closer to 2 atm
Don't really care that much, the naked eye won't pick it up or become confused by it while playing.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

03:32:88 (1) - this is not perfectly horizontal
This falls into the "Naked eye won't notice during play" but while I'm here - fair enough! Fix that sucker up while I'm here.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

[Harder]
01:32:39 (2,3) - k this bugged me the first time and even more now that it repeats...is it impossible for these two sliders to be parallel?
No, it's not impossible. I don't want 'em parallel, though. They're sorta like Etna Slider teasers.

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

02:55:32 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - i was so expecting the combos to be actually differentiable colors here
lol, fixed while you were modding

Saturos-fangirl wrote:

02:59:22 (2,3) - parallel?
03:25:56 (4,5) - parallel?
nope ^___________^;; but just for you, I made one of them even less parallel <3
Mogsy
I personally like it a lot, but consider my bubble fragile.
Pasonia
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

GladiOol
Harder

00:38:24 (4) - 1/2 earliër (?)
00:38:73 (x) - Extra note(?)
00:46:78 (5) - Move 1 grid level down and if you do so..
00:47:02 (6) - ...move this then also 2 grid levels down.
01:25:07 (4) - 1/2 earliër (?)
01:25:56 (x) - Extra note (?)
01:33:61 (5) - Move 1 grid level down and if you do so..
01:33:85 (6) - ...move this then also 2 grid levels down.
01:56:05 - 01:57:27 - Softer part (?)
03:00:44 (5) - Move 1 grid level up and if you do so..
03:00:68 (6) - ...move this then also 2 grid levels up.
03:26:05 (6) - Move 2 gird levels up.

I've nazi'd like hell, please don't follow everything, im begging you xD

Hard

00:19:71 (1,2,3) - To close spacing comparing with: 00:17:76 (1,2,3) and others.
01:43:12 (4) - Move 1 grid level up.
01:46:29 (1,2,3,4) - to close spacing.
02:37:76 (2) - Move 1 or 2 grid levels up.

Normal

Seems fine I think!

Awesome map, I hope it'll get ranked soon! (Starred ofc.)
Topic Starter
awp

Pasonia wrote:

Normal

00:37:02 (1) - shorten by 1/2 a beat to match the end of the vocals. I don't see where the original spinner is ending to, even if it was meant for some EBA styled thing I'm not aware of.
01:23:85 (1) - ^
It's ending on the beat. Spinners ending on vocals sound a bit sudden when the vocals don't end on the beat, and imo this is one of those cases. I like it ending on the beat (thump-thump) as oppose to the vocals. Better flow.

Pasonia wrote:

03:39:22 (4,5) - I suggest a slider starting at 4, ending at 5.
I do kind of want to do this, but the notes have an explicit arc to them, and if I do a slider, the notes in the next combo end up underneath the slider briefly, which imo is sloppy design. Also, lucky for me, the vocal stretch isn't as stressed there, so the difference in pattern has as modest a difference as the vocals in the song.

Pasonia wrote:

Hard
01:09:46 - This slowdown object should last a little longer. About as long as your speed-up object.
Also, to be more specific about the coding in your .osu, if you're okay with directly modifying the code:
Yeah there are some lines in there that are arguably not necessary (such is the sacrifice of using the SBE instead of hand-written script). There's no harm in it. As for the "Slow down!" fading out more quickly, there are two ways of looking at this as validation for why I did it the way I did it.

1 - The song is faster during the 2x speed, the user is processing visual input faster, they read it faster, it doesn't need to linger
2 - If the prompt is there longer, it starts to interfere with the hit objects in the background (this is the actual reason why I shortened it)

Might's well clean up that SB code, though.

Gladi wrote:

Harder

00:38:24 (4) - 1/2 earliër (?)
00:38:73 (x) - Extra note(?)
I don't think this is necessary, it starts to sound too spammy.

Gladi wrote:

00:46:78 (5) - Move 1 grid level down and if you do so..
00:47:02 (6) - ...move this then also 2 grid levels down.
Trying to avoid overlap, even modest overlap.

Gladi wrote:

01:25:07 (4) - 1/2 earliër (?)
01:56:05 - 01:57:27 - Softer part (?)
A good suggestion, but the beatmap's too active to make the transitions smooth =(

Gladi wrote:

03:26:05 (6) - Move 2 gird levels up.
Fixed, sorta. I moved some stuff around a tiny bit, but it was in that area.

Gladi wrote:

Hard
00:19:71 (1,2,3) - To close spacing comparing with: 00:17:76 (1,2,3) and others.
Good eye for that one. At first I thought, not a big deal, but it is borderline big deal so I changed it.

Gladi wrote:

01:43:12 (4) - Move 1 grid level up.
to the right* actually

Gladi wrote:

01:46:29 (1,2,3,4) - to close spacing.
Again, they're probably cramped enough to spread out.

Gladi wrote:

02:37:76 (2) - Move 1 or 2 grid levels up.
I like the way it's kinda snuggled in there. The hitcircle and the slider are having a sleep-over and they're close friends.

Man people be chewing this thing apart. If that's Karma, then...eh, whatever. It's all good.
Rolled
I have one small suggestion/request.

The chorus of the song, and pretty much the whole song has a lot of really strong syllables on dominant beats, really powerful and stuff. Claps and whistles are used well in the map but there's a lot of parts in the song that I think are just begging for finishes.

Just for an example, listen to 00:31:41 (3) with a finish on the start and end of the slider, I think both sounds good. This part in the chorus especially is really a stressed beat that works great with finish. Similarly, i think all the lines in the similar phrases sound good with finish also. I'm known to whore finish in maps, not sure about you. But I would definitely use a lot more finish sounds in a song like this. The map needs some more finish to put it up over the top atm. Nothing at all is wrong with the spacing, not sure how nazi the previous mods were being and how much you gave into them, but nothing at all bothered me. Just let me know how you feel about the finish and I'll be ranking this.

ps - more places I think would work well with finish:
00:15:80 - (and all similar beats)
00:29:46 (1) - (this one you have a finish here, I don't find it that suiting to the song. I think it works better at the very start of the slider)
00:31:41 (3) - (neeeeeds finish)
00:35:32 - (Just an example of a similar spot to 31:41)
00:43:12 (3,4) - (same as above, works well with both hitcircles imo)
01:02:63 (1) - (similar to the first example, a finish on the start of the slider sounds good with the clap on the end)
And so on. Most of the other spots I'd mention are just similar to the previous ones.
Oh also, one more FYI, I love what you did with the whistles at 01:02:63 in Insane. Shame the other difficulties weren't that similar, hit-sound wise.
Topic Starter
awp

Rolled wrote:

ps - more places I think would work well with finish:
00:15:80 - (and all similar beats) ehhhh I don't like how it sounds on the start of the beat, tbqh
00:29:46 (1) - (this one you have a finish here, I don't find it that suiting to the song. I think it works better at the very start of the slider) good call, *fix*
00:31:41 (3) - (neeeeeds finish) yeah, it does *
00:35:32 - (Just an example of a similar spot to 31:41) this is going to give me a lot of work *
00:43:12 (3,4) - (same as above, works well with both hitcircles imo) Good on 3, 4 is overkill *
01:02:63 (1) - (similar to the first example, a finish on the start of the slider sounds good with the clap on the end) I like the way this whole section sounds too much to change it =|

Oh also, one more FYI, I love what you did with the whistles at 01:02:63 in Insane. Shame the other difficulties weren't that similar, hit-sound wise. I have no idea what you are talking about =<
I did a bit of tidying up (two notes were positioned wrong) on Hard.
Rolled
much better.

Congratulations awp for ranked map.

Congratulations Mogs for your first unpopped bubble.