forum

Weird Al - Virus Alert

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HailBlazR
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 4:31:48 PM

Artist: "Weird Al" Yankovic
Title: Virus Alert
BPM: 163.5
Filesize: 2685kb
Play Time: 03:39
Difficulties Available:
  1. Insane (4.92 stars, 535 notes)
Download: "Weird Al" Yankovic - Virus Alert
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
I think there's already a beatmap for this. I thought I'd make my own, though. As far as I know, it isn't against the rules(?) I just didn't like the other person's version of it (no offense, I'm sure there was a lot of work put into it)

Well, enjoy, I guess.
gaph2000
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
HailBlazR
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
An64fan
I stopped playing like 1/3 of the way through Insane.

I am not impressed.

Besides, this song is already being mapped, and it's much more interesting.

Some points you should know:

1. Repeating patterns.... Just way too much of it. It is the FIRST and FOREMOST reason that this map was killing me just playing it; it was just so dull.

2. Spacing is very important. You can claim that the spacing is to add to the difficulty, but inconsistent spacing is neither good nor can you legitimately say it's to add difficulty. My tip is to stick with distance snap for a while and stay away from the jumps until you've gotten more experienced at mapping.

3. Check to see that it's not already mapped or is not being mapped presently. Especially if it's being mapped presently (and a lot better as well). Older ranked maps you can definitely remap, so long as you intend to map it a lot different and potentially a lot better.

4. Be creative! Like with the copy-pasting, creativity in general is important. This means interesting patterns that don't set us doing the same motions over and over.

5. Timing is important as well. You have very little that's set to the lyrics or anything... Most of it is just 1 beat repeating sliders..... With the points already mentioned, making us do the same thing over and over at the same rate gets really dull really fast.

Take these points in mind, examine some recently ranked maps, read the FAQ and help topics, and learn and work so that your mapping abilities improve.
Topic Starter
HailBlazR
1. Repeating patterns.... Just way too much of it. It is the FIRST and FOREMOST reason that this map was killing me just playing it; it was just so dull.

2. Spacing is very important. You can claim that the spacing is to add to the difficulty, but inconsistent spacing is neither good nor can you legitimately say it's to add difficulty. My tip is to stick with distance snap for a while and stay away from the jumps until you've gotten more experienced at mapping.

3. Check to see that it's not already mapped or is not being mapped presently. Especially if it's being mapped presently (and a lot better as well). Older ranked maps you can definitely remap, so long as you intend to map it a lot different and potentially a lot better.

4. Be creative! Like with the copy-pasting, creativity in general is important. This means interesting patterns that don't set us doing the same motions over and over.

5. Timing is important as well. You have very little that's set to the lyrics or anything... Most of it is just 1 beat repeating sliders..... With the points already mentioned, making us do the same thing over and over at the same rate gets really dull really fast.
1.Okay, so you want me to be inconsistent? Lol, repeating patterns? What's the matter with that? I've seen other maps use pretty much the same for the whole song, yet I can't do it?
2.Inconsistent? So you want me to not follow a pattern, yet be inconsistent? What? It would kind of help if you showed me where exactly the spacing is inconsistent, as you say. I checked it over, and as far as I could see, there was no spacing errors. That's one thing that I made sure to fix in this.
3.Did you not read what I wrote? I said I personally did not like the other guy's version of it. No need to link it to me, I know it already exists. The main things I didn't like about it was that the sounds were soft, it wasn't that hard for insane, and I wanted to make a beatmap that centers around the rhythm, rather than the melody. Apparently, based on your comments, I'm not allowed to do that, but the Gojou Kai songs can? My apologies for trying to map it a lot different, as you say.
4.That's pretty much stating what you said in the first point, and I already said my thing about the patterns. If this isn't "interesting", then neither is Border of Life, Border of Death, Still Alive, and an abundance of other beatmaps. I fail to see what makes mine uninteresting.
5.Okay, so mine is just "1 beat repeating sliders", then Caramelldansen Insane is the opposite. Yet that got accepted.

I really don't see why I'm not allowed to do 95% of the things that other beatmaps do. Reputation, perhaps?
An64fan
1. If you examine most copy-paste maps, they usually only repeat once: the first half and then the second half, usually flipped or the such. There are some that reuse some bits scattered throughout the map (an example is Weeeek, which used some little bits and pieces multiple times throughout the song). But from what I played of your map, I felt like I had just done the exact same thing twice and moving onto a third time when I stopped.

2. It felt like you had weird spacing. "Inconsistent" might not have been quite the right way to describe it. It probably had a lot to do with how you had a high slider velocity by there was very little space between beats (which, technically, isn't unrankable, but it feels very weird).

3. Gojou Kai had already been mapped? Also, I missed that, my apologies.

4. I never liked the Still Alive map. :P As for Border of Life, I never felt it was the same thing over and over. I always found that James' maps always had a certain feel to them, but they always push you over somewhere else before you've been doing the exact same thing for too long.

5. Caramelldansen wasn't consistent. Like with what I mentioned for James' maps, any consistency is broken up between vocals and the such.

I apologize for my post before (and I guess probably my answers), I didn't mean to take any offensive position, though it seems that I did. I am usually pretty harsh on maps that I feel aren't very good, and this one didn't come across very well for me. I do still advise that you keep working, though. If you are dedicated to and will continue work on this map, then I will sit back and watch quietly, and then provide my feedback when you've finished more, though I'll try to point out specific points that could be improved instead of targeting the map as a whole.
gaph2000
Topic Starter
HailBlazR

An64fan wrote:

1. If you examine most copy-paste maps, they usually only repeat once: the first half and then the second half, usually flipped or the such. There are some that reuse some bits scattered throughout the map (an example is Weeeek, which used some little bits and pieces multiple times throughout the song). But from what I played of your map, I felt like I had just done the exact same thing twice and moving onto a third time when I stopped.

2. It felt like you had weird spacing. "Inconsistent" might not have been quite the right way to describe it. It probably had a lot to do with how you had a high slider velocity by there was very little space between beats (which, technically, isn't unrankable, but it feels very weird).

3. Gojou Kai had already been mapped? Also, I missed that, my apologies.

4. I never liked the Still Alive map. :P As for Border of Life, I never felt it was the same thing over and over. I always found that James' maps always had a certain feel to them, but they always push you over somewhere else before you've been doing the exact same thing for too long.

5. Caramelldansen wasn't consistent. Like with what I mentioned for James' maps, any consistency is broken up between vocals and the such.

I apologize for my post before (and I guess probably my answers), I didn't mean to take any offensive position, though it seems that I did. I am usually pretty harsh on maps that I feel aren't very good, and this one didn't come across very well for me. I do still advise that you keep working, though. If you are dedicated to and will continue work on this map, then I will sit back and watch quietly, and then provide my feedback when you've finished more, though I'll try to point out specific points that could be improved instead of targeting the map as a whole.
Ah, ok. I guess I took a bit of offense, I should be the one apologizing. I see what you mean now.
I kinda made this for my own amusement, and for my friend's. Doesn't matter if it doesn't get ranked, I just play with it for fun. But now playing it again, I kinda think it sort of sucks.
Thanks for the help and everything, and sorry again for being a bit rude. I'll take those points into consideration in any future maps I'll make...
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.