forum

Maybe a bit radical for now, but a ranking system update?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
I just found out that the reason my most recent beatmap can't be uploaded is because of the upload cap, which in turn can only be increased by getting current Pending maps ranked. I understand that the purpose of this is to keep new mappers dedicated to their current maps, but my Pending maps are pretty much done, and non-BAT users seem to think they're fine, but I can't get any BATs to mod them despite repeated mod requests. I believe part of the reason is that the Priority Listing system is starting to defeat its own purpose (for more info, see the Kudosu thread), but I also believe another major reason is that the ranking sytem in its current state just can't handle the sheer volume of beatmaps. From what I've gathered, some 20 or so beatmaps get submitted to Pending and Help each day, but on average, only about half that amound get ranked on a daily basis, thus leading to obvious problems. I understand the reasoning behind BATs currently having the ultimate say in a map's rankability (since they, after all, generally have more mapping experience), but the fact is, there simply isn't enough of them to handle the overwhelming inflow of beatmaps. Furthermore, they tend to like to mod/rank fellow BATs'/more popular mappers' maps first, and the Priority system doesn't seem to have changed that at all, thus leaving lesser-known mappers in the dust.

Thus, while I believe BATs should still have the final say, they shouldn't have the only say. I've seen plenty of quality maps that several non-BATs love (this is a prime example), yet they sit, seemingly forever, in limbo because a BAT never mods the map due to the mapper not being as well-known (though, of course, the example I provided is a clear exception). To counter this, I suggest that user stars go towards a map actually getting ranked instead of just boosting it on the Priority List (which, for reasons just listed, isn't working). So, for example, let's say that if a map can get a minimum of ten User Stars (since that many will be a clear indicator of a quality map, and instances of star spamming can still be tracked and punished accordingly), it gets an automatic Bubble. Yet it'll still be up to a BAT to officially Rank it.

I say this because, while BATs do tend to mod popular mappers' maps first, non-BATs usually do just the opposite and mod more obscure mappers' maps first.Yet what's the point of a non-BAT modding a map if it has little to no impact on that map getting ranked? Thus, I believe that this proposed update will allow non-BAT modding to actually have a function relevant to ranking, yet still give BATs the ultimate authority to officially Rank a map. Hell, after that, we may not even need the Kudosu system anymore; I've found that those who mod a lesser-known mapper's map often have the favor returned. That interesting phenomenon may give even more incentive for people to get out there and mod than Kudosu; it gives the mentality of "if I mod their map, they'll probably mod mine and maybe even star it, which gets my own map that much closer to ranking." With the ranking force effectively doubled (at least!), quality maps should thus be able to get ranked even faster; if people utilize the system effectively, eventually ranking downturn should finally able to keep up with map inflow.

Take it with a grain of salt if you will, but it's the best way of decreasing rank waiting time I could think of.
LuigiHann
I do think we could conceivably implement some system where a certain number of user stars lead to a bubble, but the problem is that those stars only mean that people like the map, not that the map has no issues (or even, few issues).

This new system has only been in place for a short time, so we don't know where it's going yet.
An64fan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy

An64fan wrote:

Yeah. I have to ask that you don't be greedy and don't be hasty. The kudosu system has only been working at it for a couple weeks. We've hardly seen anything yet.
You mean days.
Echo
If "people" as in casual gamers like the map, then chances are there wouldn't be any issues with the spacing, which is (most of the time) the biggest issue. However, because things like timing could potentially be wrong, difficulty settings overlooked, countdown settings not defined well, etc. I don't think any map deserves an auto-bubble based on user stars alone.

In any case, 6SP is enough to bump a map to the front page of pending. That should be fairly easily achieved if your map is of any quality.
Ekaru
^This.

Also, 6 SP is 3 kudosu stars, which aren't that hard to get if you spend a couple hours looking at some maps. It doesn't take that long if you just look at them and point out what you like/dislike, or if there are any obvious errors. Not to mention, asking a few people to look at your map can get you a few more priority on top of that. I haven't had any real trouble getting kudosu when I actually wanted it.

Anyways, user stars have quite a bit of impact on your priority. Once you get into the upper realms of priority, 1 user star can make a difference. 'Course, a single BAT star helps a lot, too, but that requires you to get some priority first, which by that point, there will *usually* be only a few errors left. Just be patient, look at some maps, ect. It's easy to find someone to look at your map now (from my experience at least). This system as only been out for about a week, but has been working well, so eh. Looking forward to the 'mod a random unmodded map' button I've read about.