forum

Spinning Outside of the Spinners [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
krisko6
I am having a lot of trouble with the spinners in this game. I can't spin furiously(even though I need to) because the cursor has to stay inside of the spinner area. Whenever it leaves, the spinner stops. I think that the player should be able to click on the spinner, and then be able to spin inside of and outside of the spinner. If they release the mouse button outside of the spinner, the player would have to go back and click on the spinner to start spinning again. I hope that this idea makes sense.
Motto_old
I agree with you, I find that forcing the mouse to stay in the proper spinner area is difficult. It works really well on the DS touchpad because you are using a stylus directly on the screen.

I'd recommend either reducing the amount of turns it takes to fill a bar in the majority of songs or switch the behavior of the spinners to be more forgiving when you go outside the spinner area.
ZZT the Fifth
I fully support this idea. I'm having difficulty filling the spinners on the easiest setting, and I'm using a laptop touchpad!
LennaLeFay
Fourth'd. My mouse is FPS-tuned so I have a hard time keeping it in the spinner and I haven't gotten a bonus higher than 1k. :|
peppy
Will take this into consideration. Unfortunately, we need a way to stop this as well..

[flash=425,350:88678]http://www.youtube.com/v/iYMG5vgVvFg[/flash:88678]

see the spinner at 1:20
LennaLeFay
I'm sorry, I must be missing it... What's the problem there exactly :?:
eyup
I'm guessing it's the 1 pixel radius spinning hax :mrgreen:
LennaLeFay
Oh oh oh.

Now I just feel stupid. :?

Wouldn't it be possible for the engine you're using to detect unique curved motion? It appears that it just responds to "virtual friction" right now.
peppy
At the moment it works based on angle difference (i believe this is the same as the DS versions, too). I'm not sure what you mean by unique curve motion - could you explain a bit more?

The problem with the video above is that by using a tablet PC or graphics tablet, it is very easy to get huge bonuses on spinners. I have considered capping this bonus at something sane line 10k, or increasing the number of spins required to get more bonus as you go, but I'm open to any ideas.
eyup
Hey! I was using a mouse!
peppy
Oh wow. Thats some insane accuracy you have there...

what do you think should be done to make spinners fair? I don't want people that can spin uber-fast to be ruling the high score rankings!
LennaLeFay
That's what I meant, really. I figured that'd weed that issue out. Hmm, well I'll think of something if possible.

Could you measure the distance between two mouse coordinates? Theoretically, if you're spinning the dial, and you look at the spinner as a big graph, you'll be crossing the same point on the x-axis once for each half of the spinner. Couldn't you make it so you'd have to have those points be a certain distance away? I don't know if that sounds WAY too complex or if it's even possible the way you're doing it but it's just a thought.
peppy
I don't actually think changing the calculation will help.. unless I was to do something like calculate the distance away from the centre and have larger circles worth more (which would be unfaithful to ouendan/eba).

The internal calculation at the moment works based on 180degree sections - each time one of these is passed (in either direction), and extra "half-spin" is recorded.
LennaLeFay
Meh... I dunno, I'll keep thinking about that one. There really isn't much of an easy fix to that.
eyup
Here's my two cents worth.

I don't think scoring is the main issue here? I mean, adding even 50k to your score via a spinner is nothing compared with stringing a combo together, which could be worth more than a million points. As long as you make sure the spinner "bonus" is indeed a bonus, and is not affected by any multiplier, I think the system is fine. No need for spinner caps or whatnot - that's overkill :shock:

The main problem I see with the spinner is the way it accelerates at the same rate no matter what radius you are spinning at. At the moment, it doesn't physically make sense and doesn't feel intuitive. My "one pixel spinning radius" method should be extremely ineffective because it is so close to the center of the spinner. Imagine trying to open a door by pushing near the hinge - it's much harder because you are not generating much torque (or "moment" for the engineers in the house). It should be the same with the spinner, at least physically anyway.

I just cracked out my DS and had a play on EBA. It confirms what I thought I experienced while playing it - spinning near the center of the spinner is very ineffective. The further out you spin, the easier it is (because of the longer "moment arm"). I'm not sure if this is the same in Ouendan - someone can probably verify this for me.

Of course, having to spin out further means you have to move your cursor more, which makes it more tiring :mrgreen:

I hope that wasn't too hard to read.
eyupz
peppy
Crap... maybe I've been doing spinners all wrong on ouendan. *stares at the dead spot in the centre of his DS screen*

This will be an easy change to make larger spins worth more - and I think it could help a lot with making things more fair. Will look at it tonight.
eyup
At least you fared better than me peppy... *stares at dead touch screen. period.*

Tsububu can confirm this :mrgreen:
peppy
Hahaha. Mine isn't actually dead... far from it, but the sensitivity different is enough to really annoy me.
peppy
I'd like to bump this and get some feedback on the changes in the last build.

What do you guys think of spinners now?
eyup
Even bigger bonuses are possible now - the only difference is it takes endurance rather than technique... I think now that keeping the cursor inside the spinner is not an issue, the spinner difficulty should be increased a bit.