forum

Custom skinning: Adjusting settings

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
An64fan
Has been on my mind for a good while. Custom skinning on a map could potentially pose problems if it clashes with the settings of a player's currently selected skin. A good example is in my Gekkouka map, which has some custom skinning elements. Those who have a skin set which puts the combo numbers under the overlay (and thus under the dove and the numbers are obstructed). At the time, the only real fix I have for it is to set a default skin with settings that won't clash with the custom skinning. But I either risk the chance that not everyone would have that skin, nor do I want to actually force any skinning elements other than those in the custom skinning on everyone.

Because of this (not just my map, but for all custom-skinned maps), I think that it would be a good idea if mappers could adjust skin settings for skinned maps. Then we'd know that the custom skinning isn't clashing with players' current skin settings.
YoshiKart
Do you basically want a skin.ini file in a song folder?

If so, I remember peppy saying that it's not possible yet; not until he redoes the skinning framework.
AceOfArrows
There is also always the option for players to take the custom skin graphic files out of the song's folder by temporarily moving them or permanently deleting them.

Personally, I like custom skins on a per-song basis so I will always see that hit circle/skin when I play a song (in fact, I've copied many a custom hitcircle and theme to other songs that fit the category, such as copying the Haruhi ism skin to all the Haruhi songs I have).

I guess what skinners could use is an option for forcing particular settings only when the player plays the song containing that skin, which, as YoshiKart said, would very likely involve putting a skin.ini file in the song's folder, something I'd personally like to see whenever we can figure out how to do that.
Topic Starter
An64fan
Well, osu! already knows how to set options by the selected skin, and it can also override skinning elements, as it comes to with custom skinning. With this in mind, it wouldn't be that big a difference to have it read specified skin settings, would it?