forum

Songs of the Week - 21 January 2008

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
eyup
***Updated 21/1/2008***

DISCLAIMER: All SOTW choices are at my personal discretion, and may be biased in some way, so please keep an open mind.

The purpose of this thread is to promote the playing of ranked maps which have had little exposure, but which I consider to be of high quality. You can also get competitive and try and set a top score for the SOTW maps, as the incumbent top scores are usually beatable.

I will try and choose a good variety of songs from various genres and mappers. There are plenty to choose from anyway :D You should explore the Beatmap Listing yourself from time to time, as there are lots of gems to be found! Also, it would be nice for you to leave feedback in the song's thread, or give a rating (easily done now that in-game user ratings is implemented). Beatmappers always appreciate feedback on their maps!

I will also include an Insane map each update, Point Blank-style :mrgreen:

Feel free to post in this thread with suggestions, high-score exclamations, death threats, etc.

SONGS OF THE WEEK

Week beginning 26/11/2007
  1. The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize (IcePagoda)
  2. HY - AM11:00 (tsububu)
  3. Chieco Kawabe - Sakura Kiss (K-S-O)
  4. Buddah Bar - Mambo Craze (Extor)
  5. Brandy - Love Fighter (FFFanatic) *INSANE*
Week beginning 03/12/2007
  1. LAST ALLIANCE - Shissou (advancechao)
  2. Phantasma - Fall Memories (Kylecito)
  3. Whiteberry - Summer Festival (elzamxrai)
  4. BanYa - D Gang (Starrodkirby86)
  5. SUN & LUNAR - your gravitation (Donryu) *INSANE*
Week beginning 17/12/2007
  1. Guang Liang - Tong Hua (Echo49)
  2. --Removed at author's request--
  3. Kurei Soshi - Wish ~ Kimi wo Matenakute (ZZT the Fifth)
  4. Spoon - Don't You Evah (Puffles)
  5. Amerie - One Thing (chan) *INSANE*
**I (Saturos) decided to jump in for eyup, atleast for now.

I grabbed beatmaps from creators that did not already have a song posted in the previous weeks, as well as selecting for quality, difficulty, and variety. Here are the beatmaps I selected for this week. Feel free to hate me/beg for eyup back.

Week beginning 14/1/2008
  1. Yuko Miyamura - It's Only a Fairy Tell VerB (Eiji)
  2. L'Arc~en~Ciel - READY STEADY GO (Hitoshirenu Shourai)
  3. The Lion King - I Just Can't Wait to Be King (Impossible)
  4. Hirano Aya - Hare Hare Yukai (Kharl)
  5. Takashi matsumoto - Ichirin No Hana ~HHM~ (GuardianHX) *INSANE*
This week, I chose songs that I thoroughly enjoyed playing through but surprised me with their overall low play count. Enjoy.

Week beginning 21/1/2008
  1. SEAMO - Mata Ai Mashou (tsububu)
  2. Grandaddy - Jed's Other Poem (wiicademan)
  3. BACK-ON - Chain v3 (Eiji)
  4. Caramell - Caramelldansen (meyou22)
  5. The Cloud Room - Hey Now Now (Extor) *INSANE*
Lupo89
I think it's a good idea since many beatmaps are not very well-known songs, or belong to film/anime that not everyone knows.

But I believe that one day is not enough. Wouldn't it be better "song of the week"?
Topic Starter
eyup
Hmm, you have a good point. One day is probably too short. How about I release a bunch of songs in one go, which lasts for a week XD

I was planning to keep an archive of all the SOTDs anyway, but releasing a few at once is probably a nice idea. The original post has now been updated!
Lupo89

eyup wrote:

Hmm, you have a good point. One day is probably too short. How about I release a bunch of songs in one go, which lasts for a week XD

I was planning to keep an archive of all the SOTDs anyway, but releasing a few at once is probably a nice idea. The original post has now been updated!
Yeah, this would be much better. One week is a period of time more than enough to complete at the best one beatmap.
I also believe that it would be nice to release a bunch of beatmap of different difficulties, so anyone could try to set a record. u_u
Topic Starter
eyup
The new SOTW for this week are now up - check the original post.
chan
I demand an update!
Topic Starter
eyup
SOTW is up for this week. Sorry about last week - I was very busy and couldn't do an update.

Today also happens to be my birthday so I'm off to celebrate now :D
EiJi
You're weird, picking Waltz for a SOTW. It doesn't even have any spacing, lol...
chan
Hey Eyup, I think it's that time of week again, but you're probably busy with Christmas/New Year's rather than constant patrolling of forums.
Saturos
***Updated 21/1/2008***

I decided to jump in for eyup, atleast for now.

I grabbed beatmaps from creators that did not already have a song posted in the previous weeks, as well as selecting for quality, difficulty, and variety. Here are the beatmaps I selected for this week. Feel free to hate me/beg for eyup back.

Week beginning 14/1/2008
  1. Yuko Miyamura - It's Only a Fairy Tell VerB (Eiji)
  2. L'Arc~en~Ciel - READY STEADY GO (Hitoshirenu Shourai)
  3. The Lion King - I Just Can't Wait to Be King (Impossible)
  4. Hirano Aya - Hare Hare Yukai (Kharl)
  5. Takashi matsumoto - Ichirin No Hana ~HHM~ (GuardianHX) *INSANE*
This week, I chose songs that I thoroughly enjoyed playing through but surprised me with their overall low play count. Enjoy.

Week beginning 21/1/2008
  1. SEAMO - Mata Ai Mashou (tsububu)
  2. Grandaddy - Jed's Other Poem (wiicademan)
  3. BACK-ON - Chain v3 (Eiji)
  4. Caramell - Caramelldansen (meyou22)
  5. The Cloud Room - Hey Now Now (Extor) *INSANE*
EiJi
Let it be known, I requested he take over. Though he then claimed he had already thought of it...

It would be nice, when we have mods that can rank 10+ maps a week, to have a real SOTW, where the best 5 songs of any given week are picked...

PS: edited title date
Topic Starter
eyup
Saturos you're welcome to take over - a nice selection for this week, especially the Insane one. I remember that caused me considerable pain back in the day.

I generally try and promote songs with relatively low playcount - e.g. no point promoting Speed Over Beethoven even though it's an awesome map as everyone who's not a loser like EiJi would have played it 50 times each anyway.

There's an edit in there somewhere...
EiJi

eyup wrote:

e.g. no point promoting Speed Over Beethoven even though it's an awesome map as everyone would have played it 50 times each anyway.
I've never played it. :roll:
awp
I haven't played it either. You'll need to re-edit your post to include me in the loser list lol
Saturos
Updated.
EiJi
Stop slacking off and update it. :)
Saturos
I competely forgot about this, rofl.

Hmm... I think I may change the format for how this is set up as far as song choices. Since I'm keeping up with the ranked beatmap uploads basically weekly, perhaps I'll just link the top 5 most played within those packs. I don't exactly like picking out specifically the least played nor my own personal favorites since it makes me feel like a bastard for leaving out multitudes of other quality maps.

Guess I'll update it sometime this weekend.
chan
Does someone want to update this? I think we missed February
EiJi
Ok, well. Since Saturos apparently cares less about this, who wishes to take over?
chan
Arbitrary songs of the week (for the Easter break)
As subjectively selected by me (chan). If you don't like it, bite me.

Week beginning 20/3/2008
  1. 2pm - Tetris (Bonesnake)
  2. Ai Otsuka - Momo no Hanabira (Hitoshineru Shourai)
  3. TV's Kyle - Sheep in the Morning (K-S-O)
  4. Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden (Gunzil)
  5. Taiko no Tatsujin - Saitama2000 (Kharl)