forum

Click, ripple effect

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
jerieljan
Not a gameplay feat but a visual feature. This is similar to the behavior of the iPhone version so if you've played that, you'll know what I mean by here.

What i'm suggesting is:
- If you click on a blank space, you should get a ripply effect on-screen that should last for a second or shorter (think as if you just poked your LCD screen with a finger.)

Why? this should give some relief for people who would go in a state of denial on missing a beat by a few pixels. Well, I say that the player would instantly know if he's clicking on a blank space and not a beat.

(tl;dr: a subtle rippling effect after clicking on a blank space to indicate that the player either missed the beat or is clicking at nothing.)
LuigiHann
I love effects like this, so I'm in favor of it.
Gens
Would be pretty cool. But I hope it won't be too distracting in-game.
RemmyX25
Wouldn't this go under Shader Effects? I'm not sure if my laptops gonna be able to handle it.

But on faster computers, I'm all in favor of cool effects as well.
anonymous_old
I would prefer this as an option. Good idea.
peppy

RemmyX25 wrote:

Wouldn't this go under Shader Effects? I'm not sure if my laptops gonna be able to handle it.

Shader effects use pixel shader effects. This wouldn't, so no. And your laptop would handle it.
Gemi
This might be cool if it's suttle enough not to disturb in heated situations. I'm all for it. :)
nuudles
O_O That's a change... an osu! iPhone feature requested for the PC version... :D
Topic Starter
jerieljan

nuudles wrote:

O_O That's a change... an osu! iPhone feature requested for the PC version... :D
Yeah, and what you did back there had potential for the PC version as well. It's simple, but effective.
Atmey
Did anyone say ripples?
http://img43.onemanga.com/mangas/000001 ... 19/009.jpg

More effects, that would be cool.
peppy

jerieljan wrote:

Yeah, and what you did back there had potential for the PC version as well. It's simple, but effective.
Was my idea for the record ;).
Topic Starter
jerieljan

peppy wrote:

jerieljan wrote:

Was my idea for the record ;).
ooh. cool.

an alternative to this could be just a simple emphasis (once again, not too distracting, but noticable) to the cursor click/hold effect that we see now. I'd still give a 'growing-50%-alpha-grey-ring-that-resembles-a-ripple' idea a +1 though.
Rolled
toggle pls
peppy
die pls
Ekaru
I see no need for a toggle, really.

It would only appear when you miss, so it wouldn't distract you on a good run. It would show clear evidence that you did indeed miss that note by a pixel, though. Heck, after an hour it wouldn't even bother you! I assure you that while you may get distracted by a ripple that only appears when you miss, after a few times it wouldn't bother you. At all. Since it wouldn't appear that often unless you're doing a harder map, in which case you're too focused on the map to notice a few ripples. Besides, if you see a lot of ripples, you're most likely going to fail soon anyways, unless the mapper was stupid and set the HP Drain way too low.

I think we should save the space for toggles that actually have an impact on your playing ability, and not because you're unwilling to face change that you will rarely even notice except when watching replays, in which case it would be useful.

tl;dr: It'll rarely appear, and you'll rarely even notice it. If iPhone users can live with it, so can you. We don't need a toggle for every single new feature goddammit, especially when it only appears when you miss a note, and provides concrete evidence that you missed the note. ><;

./rant

EDIT: And it'd be subtle anyways. I say we save the toggle space for worthy things that, again, have an actual impact and you'll actually notice, even after a few hours.
ThePassingShadow
Seems like a good idea to me, as long as it's subtle.
Jeffro
I'm also requesting a toggle for this. It could be hell annoying.
peppy
You haven't even seen it yet.
Jeffro
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
mm201

RemmyX25 wrote:

The effect would probably just be a small, ripple-shaped texture which grows bigger and fades. (Sort of like approach circles but in reverse.)

Though a shader version would be awesome! It could, like, distort the field behind it. (← feature request)
show more