forum

download lock in multiplayer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
qlum
Give the host Lock a game for people who haven't downloaded a map so you don't have to lock slots if you are for example only waiting for one person to download and don't want to wait for new downloads.
Ekaru
You won't get many players that way. Bad idea IMO; mp is a great way to get maps that people like to play. Just be patient, most maps only take a minute or less if they do the no video download. If we had what you suggested, some people would have an even harder time getting into games, particularly new users (Which are really important to grab; once you snare them you got 'em for good, but it can be tough to get them). Also, you shouldn't be kicking them just because they don't have a map; it's rude. Waiting a minute won't kill you. Sorry, but I dislike this idea.
mm201
Maybe a fair compromise would be a "start anyway" option, which leaves DLers as spectators. The option would only be enabled after some time period of waiting spent. It might also be fair to only enable the option if there's just one (maybe two) DLer in the room, to combat the "single dialup user taking an eternity to download" problem, or the "new user who doesn't know you're actually supposed to click Download" problem.
AceOfArrows

Qlum wrote:

Give the host Lock a game for people who haven't downloaded a map so you don't have to lock slots if you are for example only waiting for one person to download and don't want to wait for new downloads.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. 100% against.

* What happens if the Host wants to become un-ready again if they're ready when one DL user is left?

* What if I decide I WANT to download the map I don't have?!

* This would, in practice, end up making filtering matches by maps you possess close to utterly USELESS when everyone starts locking out players who don't have what they want to play. (It WILL happen. We've already got plenty of people abusing the ability to password-lock and player-limit games.)

MetalMario201 wrote:

a "start anyway" option, which leaves DLers as spectators
HELL NO.

* What if I don't feel like spectating the Host/randomly selected player?

* Using this would be HIGHLY RUDE.

MetalMario201 wrote:

"new user who doesn't know you're actually supposed to click Download" problem
* If a new user doesn't seem to know they need to click to download the map, it will NOT kill you to SAY SOMETHING.

Current abilities for a Host to kick undesired players from the room for any reason they deem necessary and being able to talk in chat about any problems first before making a decison to boot them is more than sufficient for all possible cases (you can make their taskbar entry for Osu flash by mentioning their name in chat), and some Hosts can be quite abusive with the ability to kick as it is.

I am entirely against all ideas currently presented in this thread.
peppy
What is the host doesn't care about what you want, because they just want to play the game? I am actually in favour of an option like this because I know how annoying at can be waiting for stray downloaders.
LadySuburu
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: cranky - La Campanella Nu Rave (Rena-chan) [To Be Mapped].osu
FurukawaPan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.