forum

Spinner approach warning(for Taiko mod)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
aquabluu
I felt it to be a bit misleading sometimes when a spinner pops out with no warning. Some maps have really short spinners, even the authentics, so seeing a spinner right after hitting a stream of notes can be rather disorientating. Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of indicator that a spinner is coming up? This can probably only be done on Taiko, but it would be nice to see it on regular play too.
Atmey
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
aquabluu
Yeah, that's why I said it may not be necessary for normal osu!.

But for Taiko Mod, you can be caught completely off guard when you see no notes on the bar and suddenly a spinner pops out, especially on intense maps like this and this
mattyu007
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi

Atmey wrote:

It bothered me for a while, now as soon as I see there is a little break from the notes, I start spinning, which 80% of the times there is a spinner, but there weren't and I look like an idiot.
Same for me. I always start spinning "just in case" if I don't see any note following the one that I'm currently clicking.

I'm not sure how this indicator or warning could work though.
Topic Starter
aquabluu
For Taiko, it could mean a differently colored note scrolling towards you. That's easy. But for normal play, maybe it's not feasible...
Jinxy
Its not needed for normal, but i fail taiko spinning most of the times because by the time i react and started spamming, the spinner would have already ended >.<
verkel
Topic Starter
aquabluu
bump
ThePassingShadow
I'm for this, and especially in normal osu!

I plan to make a thread in "Gameplay/Rankings" regarding spinners within the next few days (or even today, if I end up with enough time). I think something must be done about the growing problem of ninja spinners ruining good maps.
ThePassingShadow

verkel wrote:

+1 for some kind of spinner warning for normal osu! in addition to Taiko. I think sudden hyperspeed sliders deserve some kind of warning too, but that's another story.
Didn't see this post until after I posted. I also agree that drastic slider velocity changes need a warning for sure. That's another way to ruin a map.
AceOfArrows
I've seen some maps with storyboarded warnings before double-speed sections (such as "Straight to Video" and "Help Me Eirinnnnn!!" and kudos to those that give us said fair warning, btw). One could suggest simply requiring this on all future maps with double-speed sliders, but that still wouldn't solve the issue of warning for those present in maps ranked before this will have become a requirement.

I can also personally see how warning of an approaching spinner (especially ninja-spinners!) could be useful; even when I know they're coming, sometimes I forget exactly where or how long I get with the spinner, and screw it and the next several circles up.

However, I can also see people arguing about authenticity and the discovery of how new maps work, so forcing this as a requirement would probably make some purists angry.

I figure the best solution for this would probably be a toggle in the options menu.
Topic Starter
aquabluu
It can be toggled on/off for normal play, but should be a requirement for Taiko.