forum

Recommend me some good DS games.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gaph2000
Oh boy, what did I just do :P

Anyways, I'm goin' to Florida in a few weeks, and we're driving so, that's a 48hr round trip. I own the DS Phat (still), and I might get a DSi, but I'm a bit low on cash. Tell me some good games to get, but I'm not into FF, Pheonix Wright, japanese based games, or stuff like that.

I Own

Mario Kart DS
Phantom Hourglass
Meteos
Yoshi's Island 2
SM64DS*
NSMB*
Animal Crossing WW*
Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble*

*Lost or sold

and a few others I might have forgotten.

I'm thinking about

Professor Layton
A Pokemon game (Most recent is Platinum, right?)
TWEWY
I've heard Big Bang Mini is good? What's it about?
Maybe GTA Chinatown Wars

So basically, rate / tell me if these are good choices, or recommend others.

Oh, plzkthx.
0_o
I'm playing FFIV and Chrono Trigger right now, they're both awesome (if you like RPGs)

Advance Wars is pretty addicting too (turn based strategy), I have Dual Strike and love it, haven't played Days of Ruin yet. I think Dual Strike might be kinda hard to find though.

Oh and there's this awesome rhythm game called Elite Beat Agents, idk if you've heard of it...

EDIT: oh yeah, I (secretly) own Pokemon Pearl too, if you liked the games before it, you'll like this one. It'll last a while too.

EDIT2: And for the record, these were suggested BEFORE he said what kind of games he didn't like :P
lukewarmholiday
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
gaph2000

lukewarmholiday wrote:

We had a thread for this already I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4418 here we are

Search function works wonders. Proper use of thread resurrection can earn you major brownie points so try getting used to that.

Of course necro-ing threads for no reason to continue on a discussion dropped years ago is not a proper way to rez a post.

DS has a great gamebase. Probably the best of any system this generation. I also own more DS games than any other handheld I own atm.
When I did a search I couldn't find anything...

Also, how much do you think a DS Phat would sell for at EB Games? What about the original PSP?
adamskii_uk
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
lukewarmholiday
well I obviously just proved that idea wrong since I found it through search.
I just typed good games
An64fan
Hmnn... Well, if you've ever played Mystery Dungeon-type games (or anything like that), maybe Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal might be to your liking? The dungeons aren't randomly generated, though it's got a decent plot... Except for the ending, which is pretty lame. (damnit Konami. Couldn't you have taken ten minutes to, like, at least say what happens after he gets back?!?). Would probably be kind of hard to pick up now, though I'd think it would probably be on the cheaper side if you did manage to find it.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates is pretty good. It's live-time. I know you say you don't like Final Fantasy, although I'm guessing it might be the turn-based gameplay that turns you from it. RoF has a pretty good a plot, although some of the dialogue is kind of lame. Overall a pretty good game though. Some of the dungeons are rather time consuming since some of the enemies are really brutal for effecting you with statuses or just eating away at your health like it's nothing (this is especially true in the later dungeons). Still pretty fun.

WarioWare is fun. But not good for car trips. Though I'm thinking Twisted, for GBA, which is what my brother has. Not sure how Touched fares, haven't played though.

I only have like eight games myself so I can't tell you much. I've had this DS for three years now, I think.... :?
Ekaru
Pokemon Platinum came out today. Get that; I hate Final Fantasy yet am a Pokemon fan. :P Been playing it today, it's fixed all the gripes I had with Pearl, which weren't many (the battles are much faster now, same with surfing speed, among other improvements). So seriously, get it. I don't know why I like Pokemon yet never got into any Final Fantasy games, but eh, there's a difference. Quite possibly the 4 moves per Pokemon, and the fact that they're... Pokemon. >_>; But they have lots of depth, and can last quite a while if you get into it. These games don't get high ratings and mass popularity for no reason.

TWEWY is awesome too. It's pure epicness, so I'd get that after you got Pokemon Platinum (because you don't have Diamond and Pearl). Or just get them both at the same time. Since they're very different, it'd be nice to have two games to alternate between if you ever needed a break from one.

Professor Layton? I liked it (well, more like loved it). Course the main story doesn't last very long. It depends on whether you like puzzles.

All I can say, really. ;P
Topic Starter
gaph2000
Thanks An64fan and Ekaru, I've played WW Touched before, it's okay, but I wouldn't buy it. And the reason I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy games isn't because of the turned based gameplay, which I like (Pokemon, Paper Mario), it's more because of the story line. I'm not a big fan of mystical type stuff and casting spells / curses on things.
Pokebis
Big Bang mini is too short and isn't all that great IMO. You drag around your ship with the stylus to avoid fire. You also use the stylus to shoot fireworks at crap on the top screen. It's not very accurate (the touch controls), isn't really fun or challenging, and iirc some of the bullets kind of blended with the background. There are better shooters on the DS. If you can, check out Ketsui Death Label, if you're into bullet hells or danmaku, it's Japanese only, but it's pretty good for a challenge. Short as hell though.

If you're getting like one or two games, I'd pick up Platinum since you don't have any of the other Pokemon DS titles. If you're looking for something that'll take you a long time I'd also look for Disgaea if you haven't played any of the other versions. awp will probably bitch that the DS version is inferior, which it technically is because some voice acting and musics were cut out to save space on the little ds cart, but the game is absolutely the same, and the replayability is great. If you don't like strats or a bit of grinding once in a while it may not be your cup of tea though.

I actually just got back from a trip and I spent the majority of the time playing GTA Chinatown Wars, Pokemon Platinum, Henry Hatsworth (Great game, challenging too, I dunno if it'd last you 48 hours though), Avalon Code, Fire Emblem (The new FE1 port to the DS) and this European game release called Enchanted Folk (it's Animal Crossing-like so I only played it like twice a day). Although I have a Flashcart so I pir8ed all that stuff (and more too, didn't have enough time to play them all =3)

Also may look into FF Tactics series, Advanced Wars Series, Tetris (between short periods of time, seriously I have sooo much time on my Tetris DS just from in between lunch line at school and such. And, honestly, you could kill a lot of time with the new Yu-Gi-Oh release if you're willing to play it. Those are really well made games, they don't get the attention they deserve, Yu-Gi-Oh is really fun, I don't care what you say. >:(

If you're looking for shorter titles look at Bangai-O Spirits (Google it, it's different), Contra 4 (Hardest Game on DS 2D shooter), Metal Slug 7 (2D Shooter), Yoshi's Story DS (Platformer), and Etrain Odessy (2) (RPG) for hardcore challenge. Lunar Knights (Action RPG), Mario and Luigi series (RPG), Megaman Starforce Series (RPG), FF IV (RPG) for RPGs. Bleach fighting series and Ultimate Mortal Kombat for fightan. Pheonix Wright for awesomsauce (No replay value though :| ). Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Sports? fun), Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (Adventure?), RE DS if you can fined it (Survival Horror), Jump Ultimate Stars! (Japanese fightan), and Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Japanese Rhythm) for other.

There are tons more but I realized this post looks dumb now. You should just get a flashcart really. Especially if you are even considering things like Big Bang Mini. Try before you buy. :P

PM me if you have any flashcart-related questions or questions about other DS titles you may be interested in. Or just tell me what genre you want and I'll point to good games.

EDIT: TWEWY is really good, but it won't last you 48 hours unless you're awp. Also Layton is good, but has basically no replayability once you've solved all the puzzles. :?
YoshiKart
Buy Touched if you like a small Ping Pong Pong Ping minigame to accommodate you.

If you like RPGs, I suggest you get either Platinum, or wait for Mario and Luigi RPG 3!! to come out in the US (unless you can manage to get through the piracy fixes I've heard about in the Japanese rom). Don't get M&L2; it sucks. >_>

Everybody pretty much managed to point out the best DS games out there.
awp
Chrono Trigger was one of the best games of its era. If you missed out on it then, you oughta look at it now. I'm not going to rant and rave about TWEWY but I do still consider it the best handheld game made to date (that I have played). Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is another worthy title to have.
Shaymin
awp
From what I have seen/heard, Disgaea is best on PSP, otherwise PS2, otherwise DS.
Detective Tuesday
Retro Game Challenge came out recently in the States (it's Game Center CX in Japan). It's my favorite DS game since The World Ends With You, and it really stands out amongst the sea of mediocrity released on the DS over the past 2 years (note that I don't play RPGs often, so so assume the genre to be omitted in all contexts throughout my post).

The absolute best DS games out (in my opinion, at least), would have to be Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and Kirby: Canvas Curse. I've beaten at least 100 DS games over the past 4 years (no bullshit), and these are always the first two titles that come to mind.
5ku112
Platinum is awesome if your an rpg fan lots of stuff to keep you busy. TWEWY is awesome theres only one game in the world like it.

Topic Starter
gaph2000

Detective Tuesday wrote:

Retro Game Challenge came out recently in the States (it's Game Center CX in Japan). It's my favorite DS game since The World Ends With You, and it really stands out amongst the sea of mediocrity released on the DS over the past 2 years (note that I don't play RPGs often, so so assume the genre to be omitted in all contexts throughout my post).

The absolute best DS games out (in my opinion, at least), would have to be Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and Kirby: Canvas Curse. I've beaten at least 100 DS games over the past 4 years (no bullshit), and these are always the first two titles that come to mind.
OH WOW I completely forgot about Canvas Curse! My cousin owned it and I played it a bit. Awesome Game!
mattyu007
TAIK---Oh no japanese games :(
awp
but the DS is region free and the Taiko games have only a modest language barrier.
Topic Starter
gaph2000
Wait, backup, there are TAIKO games for DS!? I thought they were just on Wii and PS2! Sign me up!

EDIT: Awwww Japan only, plus, I only reckonize 3 songs in the game, and I'm not to big on Japanese music. Especially J-Pop.

EDIT 2: Phase 1 complete.

Phase 2: Pick up DSi on Monday, maybe with Rhythm Heaven if they ever release the demo in Canada instead of just the US >>
Phase 3: Flashcart

show more