forum

[Gameplay] buttons inside sliders

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Olinad
I've been thinking for a while about some kind of new gameplay feature to add to Osu!, as its possibilities are wider than Ouendan's in terms of creativity of the beatmap creators. Everything I thought would completely destroy Ouendan's simplicity and feel, but the possibility to add buttons or other sliders into sliders.
Quick example: you have a very long slider. You then add a couple of buttons into it. The players has to click with one button to start the main slider, and then keep it pressed. While moving the mouse and pressing the ball, you meet the button. So you have to click on that button with another button, that could be X if you're using Z or Right Click if you used Left Click for the main slider. If there was a slider into the slider, you'd have to keep both buttons pressed and then release one of your choice if one of them finishes before the other, or both if they stop at the same time.

I tried to do this in the actual editor but it doesn't work, not completely at least, as the main slider can't be clicked at the beginning but just halfway but drains HPs even if it's invisible... But I gues this would be an interesting and creative new feature, if used correctly and in hard maps only... So I hope you understand what I proposed ^^ If you don't please ask, English is my second language and I might have explained it in a complicated way.

Gemi
This is an interesting suggestion and something that requires larger discussion.

Generally I'm in favor of having very few basic game mechanical elements in a rhythm game which are used to create the maps/charts. This way a new player can easily understand how the game works and can concentrate on actually playing the game and getting better in it. If we have a lot of special types of elements which can be used, then new players have a lot more to learn on the game mechanics side and the notation also becomes more complex.

On the other hand, there is a lot of potential in innovative maps that could be created with this new element of having hit circles inside sliders. I can imagine how impossible it could be to see these in short and crowded sliders, but if used wisely one could create marvelous things with it.

I don't have a strong feeling towards one or the other position yet, but I tend to lean a bit more to the direction of "better to have fewer elements" before any newly suggested mechanic is tested and proven.
Topic Starter
Olinad
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Lesjuh
Topic Starter
Olinad
I'll try it as long as maps will be downloadable again
LuigiHann
This used to be possible, but peppy specifically disabled it. osu is designed to be playable with a single input.

Although really, if you think about it, stacking one slider on the end of the previous slider would play almost exactly like having a hitcircle in the middle of the slider.
vytalibus
Hold steps with single tap steps from DDR, anyone? :)

As of now, I'm neutral towards this suggestion. While this may open up new possibilities and opportunities for beatmap makers, I see that this, like any other gameplay elements of osu!, can be abused to a certain point that makes it very annoying. I'll have to further see (on my widest imagination, that is) how far this gameplay element can do.
Echo
kiiiinda related to this old eiji request > viewtopic.php?t=1238
lukewarmholiday
This used to be possible, but peppy specifically disabled it. osu is designed to be playable with a single input.
Separate game mode or notification on map? because the single input thingis kinda gone. most hards/insanes require multiple inputs nowadays.

Although really, if you think about it, stacking one slider on the end of the previous slider would play almost exactly like having a hitcircle in the middle of the slider.
If you really think about it. No, its not.
peppy
I have mentioned adding points on sliders which trigger samples, but I'm not sure about the clicking part - I was going to just make them trigger automatically. I guess if enough people want support, we could try something like this out and have a toggle in options for those who wish to only use one input button.
An64fan
Part of me wants to say no, but... Part of me has always been interested in something like this.

Would they actually be worth points or anything or would they just do something cool when you hit them or something? This is in question of the toggle idea.
Gemi
I would imagine that if something like this would be implemented then it should have points just like regular notes and therefor it couldn't be a "toggle in the options". Maybe the required use of the second button is a bad idea. Maybe these could just be notes in the middle of the slider that you need to click at, no matter which button is used. So you could use the same button that you hold the slider with or the other one.

The usual ranking procedure should make sure that no maps using this badly are ranked. Even the current game elements can be abused and the ranking procedure doesn't let those maps through.
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

Rolled's hitcircles on top of sliders are really fun and should be seriously considered. :D (Probably only ever for Approved status because of the necessity of certain kinds of input.)
Link kthxplz.

Your suggestions are good, MetalMario201. +1. =>

On the original topic, maybe have the slider act like several smaller sliders, but have the sound in between mouse/key lifts and without the end sounds. Hmm...
mm201

lesjuh wrote:

It is possible:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/6331
Edit: Just spotted that in the latest osu! build, the *rebounding* sliders with hitcircles on them aren't clickable until the last rebound, but the singles work fine. Needs fixing. ^^