forum

BSOD

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zephyr54
Spontaneously (during song selection or gameplay) my computer flashes a BSOD screen followed by auto-restarting itself. This didn't happen in an earlier version as I've played through a good hour or two session back then. The error report suggests that it's may processor thats faulty but I just got this machine less than a half a year ago. Tell me if I must post additional information.

Running with..

Windows XP SP-2
--Computer (from My Computer Properties)--
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
6420@2.13GHz
1.60GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
--Graphics (from dxdiag)--
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00000.0904)
Device - Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

edit: Finaly got new pc and work now thank you 8-)
peppy
That's a bit strange. Does this happen often? I have a very similar setup to you hardware wise in my laptop, but haven't had any noticeable problems. How far into gameplay does it happen, and is it only under certain conditions?
Risse_old
Very interesting... I get BSOD too with this system. The BSOD doesn't come right away when I'm playing, it's about half hour after I lauched the game (doesn't matter if i'm playing or not the game at that time, only needs to be launched once)

Specs:

Intel E4400
Win XP Pro
2Gb 667mhz Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
peppy
I dont suppose you know the actual type of bsod that occurs? Like the message on the blue screen up the top... this would be very helpful!
Saturos
I'm curious to know what version of the 8 series nvidia drivers you two are running on. I'm also on an 8 series card and currently running version 6.14.11.6902 (which is not the newest driver) and have had no trouble thus far. Either updated or downgrading your graphic driver was the first thing to pop into my head when I started reading this post, allbeit I'm not a genius when it comes to these things. May be worth a shot.

Would also do as peppy suggested and post the error message (if possible) on the bsod, if it should happen again.
Topic Starter
Zephyr54
How do you check version for the video card drivers? As for the BSOD itself, it flashes and reboots the machine in a flash spontaneously so I can't exactly tell you.
Saturos
The version can also be found in dxdiag in with the other display info. Additionally, you can find it via right-clicking My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Display Adapters > right-click Properties on 'NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT' > Driver tab.
Topic Starter
Zephyr54
My drivers are 6.14.11.6904 so it could be a possibility...
Risse_old
Not first time a blue screen has happened to me, so I tried to remember everything vital it contains
It shows at the top driver irql not less or equal. It shows some filename at the bottom, but I can't remember anymore what it is. Well, until next time. :P

Drivers are 6.14.0011.6921

Oh and btw, the BSOD doesn't flash at all for me, it just stays there until put the power off.