forum

[invalid] For the system requirements of Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tobytse99
The RAM of my computer is excatly 512Mb but I am still experiancing lag.

Sometimes, I got an X at the very last moment(because of the lagging) and that is so frustuating.

I think that:
512Mb of RAM is the lowest system requirement
1Gb of RAM is the ideal system requirement
this should be clearified
peppy
This depends on what background tasks are running on your PC. I have tested on a PC with 1ghz processor and 512mb RAM (Windows XP) with no lag at all, and have had several reports of similar cases.

You may want to try turning your settings down and turning off video, checking what else is running on your PC etc.
Topic Starter
tobytse99

peppy wrote:

This depends on what background tasks are running on your PC. I have tested on a PC with 1ghz processor and 512mb RAM (Windows XP) with no lag at all, and have had several reports of similar cases.

You may want to try turning your settings down and turning off video, checking what else is running on your PC etc.
The other programmes running: Window(the system) and NOD32(anti-virus)
Maybe I should play offline and disconnect the internet?
peppy
Net connection should not be an issue. Try disabling NOD32 though - it is likely doing some scans during osu!'s disk access. Also, are you using the default skin?
Topic Starter
tobytse99

peppy wrote:

Net connection should not be an issue. Try disabling NOD32 though - it is likely doing some scans during osu!'s disk access. Also, are you using the default skin?
The skin is default so I would try to quit NOD32 during the next play.

So if I don't do anything else than playing osu!, you are sure that there will be no viruses?

I am frequently warned about getting viruses because of disabling the anti-virus program.

NOD32 is the least using CPU space anti-virus program, I think.

(Sorry for my bad English, if you think that is bad)
peppy
Just give it a shot and see if it helps. osu! won't give you a virus.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Just give it a shot and see if it helps. osu! won't give you a virus.
Hehe...

To scan, antivirus programs probably need to access your hard drive to look at files. This can slow down or lag osu! because osu! requires steady hard drive access to play the music file (and videos if necessary). If you reduce the load on the hard drive, osu! will have less of a chance of hiccuping.

If turning off your AV doesn't completely remove the lag, try defragmenting your hard drive (especially if you're running non-Vista/non-7).

Download: Chia-key - Dark PHOENiX - Taketori Hishou [Extra] (2011-08-15) Osu.osr
[BAR] Rei
It doesn't just depend on the apps you are running. it also depends on background processes ; and I doubt you only have two. you can install Piriform CCleaner ; and disable starting of background tasks (or kill them manually in the task manager every time you play osu!). To know which ones you should disable ; you can right click the process in the task manager and click "open file location" ; and the name of the folder it is in will tell you which program it corresponds to. Also, things that have "sched" in their process name are usually schedulers ; they can cause noticeable lag and are almost useless. Java processes also cause lag and are usually not useful. Finally, there are options to help reduce lag, that's actually the first thing to try.