forum

iPod Touch 2G Screen Crack

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cyanberryio
Yeah, it cracked. :(

I wanted to repair it as soon as that guy pays up, but pdaparts.com sold out of the glass. :( All I need are these for the glass replacement right?

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/4421-di ... ch-2g.html

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/1050-sa ... -tool.html

I want to find it cheaper, if anyone knows anything on this please help. I only need that opening kit right? I don't have to get anything past the glass.

EDIT: Yeah, I know the opening kit is ~2USD somewhere else, but keeping it on the same cart might be easier. Anyways, it's not going to be me paying it. That guy broke it, he pays for it.
Metroid
Either send to Apple Inc. for repairs if under warranty.
or learn to take apart a high-tech device and replace the screen..

The screens re highly resistant to scratches and cracks as those are made to resist scratches and falls...
lukewarmholiday
How can you break the screen...how

Those things are built really well.
Topic Starter
cyanberryio
Apple charges too much for repairs, and I feel safer doing it myself(although I messed up my second DS screen repair badly). So I get to use it right away. :)

And I have idiots for friends(seriously, they cannot go a day without doing something stupid, now if I wasn't so nervous and tried to be with the girls I can trust, maybe but being around one of them too much makes me nervous), that's how the screen cracks. My device was already messed up when I bought it. :P The back was scratched up, the USB cable didn't always recognize it. And I bought it new. :( I should have returned it, but it was the only 8GB there, and I couldn't get anything larger than 8GB, I didn't have enough. And I was really desperate to play iOsu!

But anyone that knows how to do this stuff, can they give me some good places to buy the glass and case opener, please do so.

And I hate this, I've dropped this thing before also, and it scratched a little(some girl in class was being a bitch while it was in my hand, it fell and I stepped on it by accident), but no matter what, when I drop it, it lands on it's fucking screen!!! WHAT THE HELL?!

And this was outside, on pavement. Other times were inside on tile. Damn my fucking stupidity.

EDIT: Just realized that the silver casing is rough and is also kinda scratched on the rim in front. Dammit.
peppy
I have done this operation on my 3g (your's is also a 3g, not a 2g). The parts you point at are indeed what you will need. You may also want some screwdrivers to help you pry the thing open, because you'll have a lot of trouble getting it open with that flimsy thing alone.

Other things to note:
* The silver lining is glued hard and not replaceable.
* Be VERY careful when extracting the LCD screen and don't apply any force around it. It breaks very easily.
* Getting the glass off the black front-part won't happen in one piece. Get some screwdrivers and smash it into pieces until you can remove each. Preferrably wear gloves to avoid getting glass in your hands.

You'll want to also have some strong glue handy, or purchase the sticky strips to stick the new digitizer to the black panel part. You can't reuse the glue that was on there.

In case you are wondering, I woke up one morning and found my iphone on the ground next to my bed (~40cm drop onto concrete). The screens can break easily - just depends on the angle of approach I guess.

I can provide some photos of the operation if you want.

Also I rang up apple before attempting the replacement and they said there's no way a screen crack will be covered under warranty. This means at least AU$300 for the replacement. $60 is a pretty good deal in comparison.
phill_old
I watched peppy do this and made critical witty comments. Ensure you have someone to do this for you to guarantee complete success.
Topic Starter
cyanberryio
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
There is no 2g.

Pulling it off doesn't work as you would expect.

I can post photos of it after the new glass is applied, but it just looks liek a brand new iphone.

Topic Starter
cyanberryio
This looks trustable(+cheap)to get. It even comes with the tool.(but wait, no mention of the digitizer :()

So I have to open it from the back, take everything out, put on the new screen, and then place everything back in place, and cover it up, but of course it will be a bit harder than that sounds eh? The glass is just broken, I don't think I need the LCD do I? It works just like before, but the crack is a bother, and that guy owes me for this, so I might as well fix it.

Sorry for so many questions. :o
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
cyanberryio
So that eBay link should be fine?

And now I get what you mean by smashing the glass. :) Thanks, I guess that's all I needed to know.