forum

Custom linkable sliders

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
EiJi
I really want this... Personally, I could add so much variety to maps.

Take a look at this screenshot.

Here we see a slider on every other note. Obviously, this can't be done like this because you need to activate the second slider, and it's pretty much hated when you instantly need to switch sliders.

So instead, I would be forced to use normal notes. Now what I would like to see, is a sort of chained slider. Again, looking at that screenshot, When you activated the first slider (1), it would follow that zigzag all the way to the end.

A) It would be considered as one slider, thus no need to click on the 2nd or 3rd.
B) combo numbers (in this case, 2 and 3) would not be shown. Perhaps a much larger 'tick' dot would be shown.
C) it would play the selected sample set on...main "ticks" (normal/soft)

With this, in situations where you'd be forced to use regular notes, you can add sliders that just slide, but also play like normal notes. Each specific tick point could be given any sound set (whistle, etc).

In case you don't follow yet, and I don't blame you, for I suck at explaining.

Imagine placing 20 regular notes, on whatever beats with whatever sound sets and whatever positioning and placement.

Now, imagine those 20 notes suddenly turning into a slider, preserving all features and sounds except the need to be clicked.

It's just like connecting dots, or notes, in this case. You only need to click the first note, and follow the slider until it ends. The current tick sound remains, in addition to the note sounds without the need to click.

I see this being useful not just for my own reasons, but for making easier versions of really hard maps. You could make an Impossible/Insane stream of notes into a chain, all the player would need to do is follow the slider.

If you still don't understand what I am suggesting, I'll kill myself, or better yet try to explain again. ;)
chan
Hmmm...
Would that be the same as adding more points to a linear slider and getting Peppy to make custom sounds for ticks (ie. select hit sounds for ticks)? I've seen and made quite a few zig-zagging sliders in my experience, though some were damn ugly.
Echo
If you're asking for are sliders with customizable hitsounds for each tick instead of a tick sound, then, personally, I'm against it, simply because it'll sound weird and osu will lose that touch of ouendan authenticity.

I guess a "turn selected hitcircles into slider" button wouldn't be a bad additional though.

As for the linked sliders in the first example, you can easily achieve that effect with linear slider curve type.
Topic Starter
EiJi

Echo49 wrote:

As for the linked sliders in the first example, you can easily achieve that effect with linear slider curve type.
That's not the point. What I want is to be able to is...

Going back to the screenshot again. If you played that, you'd click the first slider and follow it, release and then INSTANTLY click the second one and do the same for the 3rd. This is a big no-no and PLUS this results in TWO note sounds. Chances are you only need one. So I could end the slider a quarter beat early, but that just doesn't sound right either, does it? So...

C: Click
R: Release
N: Nothing, no clicking, just follow slider
S: Sound set is played just as if it were a normal note.

Currently:
C-----RC-----RC-----R
What I want:
C-----NS-----NS-----R

Each N is like a regular note. But you don't click it, you just continue following the slider, but the N still plays the note sound a normal note would play.

If that still doesn't explain it...
awp
I think this'd be useful, at least for me, because often I want to make a slider that will have a repeat, but I don't want the repeat slider to be as long as the first slider, and this would accomodate for that.
Echo
I see what you mean.

It might come in handy, but I still don't want to see anything new added, for reasons mentioned above.
LuigiHann
Assuming that the shape isn't too important, and that each section is the same length, you could get your intended sound by simply reversing the first section twice.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Yet any person misses the bigger picture =(

But at any rate, discussion dropped. I kinda knew before I posted this would fail, since Osu follows Ouendan, and it doesn't have anything like this, so... Nevermind. ;)
chan
Not so fast...

I just realised the possibility of combining different slider types in the same slider, as in joining a linear to a curved and then a linear or something. Some complex slider shapes could be accomplished via such a process and may be worth considering.
awp
If worst comes to worst, beatmaps could always be distinguished as one of two types:

This beatmap is true to Ouendan/EBA in terms of gameplay mechanics
or
This beatmap incorporates original osu! features

Just because a feature exists it doesn't mean everyone will be required to use it, right? You'll still get plenty of Ouendan's classic-style beatmaps I'm sure.
LuigiHann

chan wrote:

Not so fast...

I just realised the possibility of combining different slider types in the same slider, as in joining a linear to a curved and then a linear or something. Some complex slider shapes could be accomplished via such a process and may be worth considering.
I like that idea. It would make things like hearts and music note shapes easier, probably.
peppy
I like the idea too :). I've always wanted to do this, but still trying to think of an easy way to add this into the editor (or rather an intuitive way of editing them). I do have a few ideas, though. Let's see.
Boxed_Slug

Echo49 wrote:

If you're asking for are sliders with customizable hitsounds for each tick instead of a tick sound, then, personally, I'm against it, simply because it'll sound weird and osu will lose that touch of ouendan authenticity.

I guess a "turn selected hitcircles into slider" button wouldn't be a bad additional though.

At the first thing, I dunno if I'm ignorant, but don't a few Ouendan/EBA songs have customized sounds for the ticks? Like You're the Inspiration in EBA?
LuigiHann

Boxed_Slug wrote:

Echo49 wrote:

At the first thing, I dunno if I'm ignorant, but don't a few Ouendan/EBA songs have customized sounds for the ticks? Like You're the Inspiration in EBA?
That is correct. "Across the Distance" in Ouendan 1 and "Believe" in Ouendan 2 also have similar boop-boop-boop slider sounds. :mrgreen: